Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
NATION:

Nation Name: Salthiusar

Chosen Colour: Teal/Sea Green (Forum colours, basically any greenish turquoise)

Nation Government Type: Benign Dictatorship (i.e. they don’t care about politics and their ruler is the same as when they were founded)

People of Importance:

Hésperion (Co-founder, status unknown)
Irèsp (Co-founder, current ruler)
Calleis (Head Magus)
Dalàth Scieris (Head Librarian)
Slaér (Head of The Guardians)

Population: 500,000 Elves (note: many of them are not truly elven, as the city attracts many students who settle into its society, and they entertain a number of visitors of other races)

Summary of populace*: The Salth (the name for all inhabitants of Salthiusar) are a community of book-lovers, philosophers and magi. Their city, Salthiusar, is home to the largest library of magic in the known world, and contains one of the greatest magic schools known also. They have a reproduction problem, as less than 1% of their race can reproduce, but they also enjoy immortality. As such, they rely greatly on a lack of war and incoming magical students to support their population, as their curse turns students into immortal elves (albeit with killing their reproductive system) at the end of a single month within Salthiusar.

TRAITS:

National Traits: Homeland Security

Population Traits: Loyal; Industrious

Academic Traits: School of Wizardry

Military Traits: For King and Country! (They don’t really have much of a military, but they do have a lot of mages who are keen to defend the country and who will blast elements on the enemy)

Military Units Traits: Magi (all troops are magi)

Naval Traits: None!

Necromancy Traits: Speak with the Darkness; The Spirits hear my Call

Divine Magic Traits: None!

Elemental Magic Traits: Lesser Air; Greater Air; Lesser Water ; Greater Water ; Lesser Earth ; Greater Earth ; Lesser Fire ; Greater Fire. (One of these is the elven bonus trait)

Illusion Magic Traits: Cloak of Invisibility; Spectral Army; Master of Disguise; Imaginary Swords Cut Too

Technology Traits: N/A
Racial Traits: Elves – Elven High Mages

Historical Traits: Isolationists; Leave me out of it; Wizards in hiding

Historical summary*: Founded long before the Alliance, the nation of Salth was formed by Hésperion and Iresp, a pair of friends, both mages trained by a kindly old mage. They shared a love of books, knowledge and most importantly magic. After their tutor’s death, they travelled far and wide, across the land, learning and collecting, until they eventually realised that a simple dwelling would be insufficient – they needed a better place. So they travelled to a distant land, after learning crystal singing from the masters, and imbued the land with magic. They sang, aided by a choir of those drawn to their cause, and, after weeks of tireless chanting, Salthiusar was built.

After some time, Hésperion realised that his and Irèsp‘s lives would be over. So he began on a dire and dark quest. He sang a new tower from the mountain to the north, entered, and never returned. However, one night, Irèsp went searching for him. He found the tower, found its darkest reaches, and conversed with Hésperion. He learned of the curse bestowed upon the nation, a curse with a flip-side. The population had been rendered mostly incapable of reproduction, but they also enjoyed one benefit – they had all become immortal. Time could not touch them, but Hésperion was lost to them.

Following this, Irèsp took control of the nation, which none minded. He knew war would come, as it always does, so he set up the Salth Mages’ Guild to aid in magical tuition and The Guardians to protect the city. He trained many for both organisations until he could pass the responsibility on to those he had trained. Meanwhile, more and more people travelled to the city and the library grew. New accommodation had to be sung; new library sections had to be made; new wizard professors were needed. All happened, and Salthiusar grew strong, but still in need of support.

The modern time is known by the Salth as the time of Shadow. Iresp rules the land fairly, though, like the entire populace, cares little for politics. Every person who stays even a month in Salthiusar gains the curse, but few who stay so long rarely wish to leave, save for voyages in the pursuit of new knowledge. The nation has a secret in Hésperion, who keeps in hiding in the northern tower. Some say that he has seen the future, the end times and all, but has become a slave to the gods. None know for certain, but there is something fishy in Salthiusar, and war is due to come. But when it arrives, they will be ready.

MILITARY:

Navy: None – they have no potentially useful naval routes, mostly because they live in a massive city of turquoise magic crystal.

Army: The nation has only 500 full-time soldiers, hired as both mages and protectors, but the citizens of the nation are all prepared to defend the land, so up to 50,000 are willing to fight in defence. They are all Magi.

*I know it’s not required and shouldn’t be on the sheet, but I felt like it’s a good thing to have.

ADDED 09/03/13
CALENDAR, literally translated:
Sunken Sun/December – Winter, 31 days
Snow’s Birth/January – Winter, 31 days
Thaw/February – Winter, 28 days (always)
Breaking Cold/March – Spring, 31 days
Sow/April – Spring, 30 days
Rebirth/May – Spring, 31 days
Risen Sun/June – Summer, 30/31 days
Wither/July – Summer, 31 days
Harvest/August – Summer, 31 days
Redeath/September – Autumn, 30 days
Rain’s Birth/October – Autumn, 31 days
Darkening/November – Autumn, 30 days
----------------------------------------------------------

Hope it's up to scratch, I basically just reworked the signup from the last rendition. So it might have problems.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Books for the book throne! Knowledge for the knowledge city!

Oh, in case I haven't made it very obvious, they're kind of pacifistic. They're unwilling to fight, but they'll do it if necessary. They don't pick grudges and help their allies with conjured armies and knowledge. Wink wink nudge nudge.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Fo'shizzle. Stuff's about to go down. It is fine for nations to not be all-out conquering, more interested in self-defense and learning? i.e. would it be fine for me to act passively until threats begin to appear?

On the army recruitment thing, I would make it so that you can recruit, say, 10%+250 troops per turn of the number you have missing from your starting total. So if you were to lose 1000 troops, you could train 350 one turn, 315 the next, and so on. Slows growth. I agree though, it must be hard to find the balance between good rules and simple rules.

·
Registered
951 Posts
...Another thing I've noticed ... A lot of people are going for 'Look at all the babies'. I think I'm the second smallest nation out there? That's going to be fun ...
I feel like the small child in the playground who starts getting beaten up all the time... then I turn and beat the everliving crap out of them.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Don't know why but the attachments bit of Heresy just isn't playing ball so unfortunately no map today.

It is all finished I just can't get it up. Will try again tomorrow. Sorry all
Sad face.

Why not try uploading it on a dedicated image uploader then link it here?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I can't tell which lot I am. Am I the little 31 down at the bottom? Or 17/18/21?

Also, if I'm not already, could I have a mountain just north of me (basically inside a province)? Given Hésperion's tower is to the north inside a mountain? Sorry if it's a late request, but I'm pretty sure I sent a PM your way. Might just be failed memory, I never know.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Don't worry Septok. You probably did send me a PM but I had to empty out my inbox because of a sudden rush of messages so may have missed you. My mistake.

As i said to Yru0 i am adapting the map a bit so i can easily give you a mountain to the north.
Brilliant, thanks. It appears I will have to either:
a) Be aggressive
or
b) Hide away and build a defensive army.

Hmm...

·
Registered
951 Posts
Bit early on to ask perhaps, but how long -roughly of course- is a turn in RP time? One turn = 1 month, 1 week? I'm just asking for the sake of possible future character development (ironic asking this before I've come up with any characters...but better early than never!)
On top of this, what I edited into my last post until I realised it was the end of a page. HERPDERP.

How does the Kolnur calendar work, and what's the date at the start of the RP?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I've added a calendar system to my signup. And yes, their year begins with December.

Also, post up by the end of the weekend. It's written and acceptable, I just know there's more to put in.

EDIT: Oh, can we make multiple actions in one turn by using multiple posts? So could someone start one war, then send some troops off on another before the first has been resolved?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.