Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im a new player, been playing for a few months now but still tiring to learn. I don’t know what im doing wrong, but im not winning very many games. I guess i need to improve my tactics. ATM i have 4 space marines squads, two term squads one land raider crusader, a dred, vanguard vets, scouts, devastator squad, my two HQ chooses that very from time to time, a predator, whirlwind and a rhino.

three out of the four squads i have both have their heavy weapons. I am thinking about knocking out the rocket launchers and putting plasma guns instead. Is this a good idea? also my dread has a multamelta and powerfist with storm bolter. Should this be changed? My devastator squad usually has 1 lascannon, one plasma cannon and two heavy bolters. it is doing well. My land raider is a huge target but i may be just deploying it wrong. I am rushing it first turn 12 inch down the mid of the table. Should this go down sides? it seems to get taken out a lot. My term squads are a diff story. I always put them into deepstrike. I can place one of the table first turn because of my special rule in darkangels. The other usely comes out 2ed or 3ed turn. One is assault terms with 4 thunder hammers/shields and cap is lightening claws. Other squad is 4 storm bolters and assault cannon. My rhino has the one squad that doesn’t has any heavies in it. It carries the squad that has the multimelta and plasma gun. I do well with it, but time to time it sucks...i guess those are jus the dice gods...Any info on how to improve my tac would be awesome!! thanku!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
well for starters you should put the close combat terms in the landraider. make belial your hq and put him with that squad and upgrade one to a standard bearer for the extra attack bonus.

To be honest you should probably get rid of the four tactical squads and the rhino.
with the points you save you would be able to get another land raider terminator squad and a full ravenwing squad.

so that would leave you with two squads of terms in the land raiders and the ravenwing would have the teleport homers to deathwing assault the other squad of terms in without scattering.

its the best way to play Dark Angels as the codex is pretty shit at the min and needs to be updated.

p.s you cant get vanguard vets for dark angels, just normal vets. we dont get all the extra ammo the vanguard get.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The dark angels codex is old and for most things your better with the vanilla marine codex. That being said there are some great reasons to use the unforgiven. We have some great special characters. Belial for start. He is a steal at 130 points and lets your deathwing terminators count as troop choices. All terminator army's are just intimidating. Next is Sammael, master of the ravenwing. He makes bike squads troop choices and drives around in an av14 speeder. Ravenwing attack bikes have teleport homers and a scout move that separates them from reg bikers. These guys run out and make sure your terminators arrive where you want them. With some melta guns they can go tank hunting after their done getting the terminators in place. Now if your not utilizing some aspect of deathwing or ravenwing you might as well use the vanilla marine codex. They do most things cheaper and better. Before I canreally give army advice with what you got I need to know what point value you normally play at and what you losing too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My points i play normaly is around 2000. I can field more, but chose not too. I am going to pick up the darkangels battleforce and to get some bikes. Also i am going to buy sammael when i can afford it. I am looking to pick up one more term squad so that puts me at 3 terms. I know i can have 6 troop choices so that atm is 3 troops. If i get Sammael and get atleast 2 bike squads then that will be 5 so i can keep one of my tac squads around for whatever. The rhino, i see some use maybe if i do play my tac squad but we will see. I love the advice you gave. I didnt read anywher ein my codex where it says Biel makes your terms a troop chose, but i found it on the net. So the codex is blah unless im looking in right place. I guess i was playing my army atm as a reg space marine army just out of the book but i will start useing it more like a true darkangels army!

·
Registered
581 Posts
In your codex bottom left hand corner of page on belials charachteristics under army organisation it states if belial is in the army all terminator squads may be treated as troop choices as well as an elites choice.

I personally would still get rid of the tactical squad and rhino your really gonna need the points if your using the dark angels codex. you could always get a twin linked las cannon razorback for your vet squad if you really wanted some protection for them.

what army do you usually play against? we might be able to come up with an army to combat that. or just a general dark angel army to play with thats competive.
Though either way its normally always mostly Ravenwing/Deathwing combined with one or two other things added in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
One ravenwing attack force box is a perfect start for a multi-wing army. You get six bikes which I recommended splitting into two squads of three with two melta guns in each. You can give their sergeant a powerfist for some real punch but I just ho with melta bombs to save on points. You also get the attack bike. Excellent distraction piece. He Turbo boosts and Parks close to someones expensive tank and now he has to spend a lot of shooting at your 50 point model. The Landspeeder that comes in the box has all the trimmings to make Sammael in his av14 speeder. With all that and a third terminator squad you can run something like this.

HQ

Belial
Sammael

Troops

Deathwing - attack squad
Deathwing - assault cannon
Deathwing - Assault cannon
Ravenwing - 2x melta, melta bombs, attack bike w/multi-melta
Ravenwing - 2x melta, melta bombs

Heavy

Land raider crusader

That all clocks in at less then 1700pts leaving plenty of room to put in your own flavor whether that be dreadnoughts or devastators or tanks. You even have an open troop slot if you really want that rhino squad. Take it from here and compile a list. Post it in the army section and we can tweek and fine tune it there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts