Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had these guys since the day DV was released, and have never done anything with them. Since reading the HH novels about Zahariel and Nemiel there was more interest, and now that I've rolled through their codex a couple times I'm there. What do you think of this allied detachment, to be used with a mech BA army. Here's the list:

Librarian: mastery level 2, conversion field - 115pts (not sure about the powers, could use some help here)

Deathwing Terminators: Assault cannon, one chainfist - 245pts

ten man Tactical Squad: Plasma Pistol, Gun, and Cannon; Veteran Sergeant - 195pts

Ravenwing Attack Squad: 3x bikes, veteran sergeant, Plasma Gun - 105pts

Aegis Defence Line: Quad Gun - 100pts

760 points total

The idea is that the DW does it's assault on turn two, giving the bikes time to speed up behind my BA with their locator beacons. Libby sits with the Tactical squad in the ADL firing the gun until he doesn't need to fire it any more. If something comes on I would use Interceptor, allowing the squad to shoot at something else the following turn. If push comes to shove I'd detach the Libby from the unit to further shoot at fliers.

It's got a good damage output squad in an ADL likely holding an objective with a Libby to boost, and the Ravenwing work to bring the Deathwing in effectively turn 2 in conjunction with a BA rush. The only time I would include this as an attachment would be at 2k+.

·
For Da Boss
2,156 Posts
personally i would find space for belial, the fact they wont scatter and theyre troops will help you alot, and you can drop them in on vital points. even if you have a termi chaplain model or something to counts as,

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will get Belial, or rather make a Belial once I actually get down my list of things to buy to this project. I was more wondering about the viability of just using those models out of the DV set. Using him to DS in the terminators also negates the role of the bikes and their locator beacons in this list. It's not like I'm expecting that much out of them otherwise. I've only ever used attack bikes before and not always to the best effect.

Points I can find in any list for awesome models, but points are very different than dollars.

·
For Da Boss
2,156 Posts
you could allways convert them into a command squad and run the salvo banner, that things nasty...

otherwise ive seen some bike units do alot of damage, specially the likes of flying creatures in terms of bringing them to the ground, then hitting them with high power weapons.

Its a good little force, specially the termi's mixed with the bikes, its a good tactic but dont expect the bikes to get very far by themeselves, depends what they have got sheilding them.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont expect the bikes to get very far by themeselves, depends what they have got sheilding them
They are rolling in behind two Razorbacks with TLAC's tomorrow, 6 man BA tactical squads in each. What they are pursuing is a Melta'd up Assault Squad that deep strikes turn on next to the thickest chunk of armour. Coming in from reserve are the Terminators for sure on T2, and potentially (3+ can hurt sometimes...) a Stormraven with a blenderfist Furioso and a small power weapon oriented Death Company w/Reclusiarch.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Honestly, I think your set up is just fine. Personally, I'd swap the Tactical Sergeant out and add in the Company Master for the squad sergeant as he has a combi plasma and a Power Sword.

Your strategy of following the Ravenwing behind the Razorbacks sounds solid. That should set your Terminators up for a nice deep strike.

Personally, I'd keep the Librarian for your HQ. Beliel is nice, no arguments there, but I think he is too expensive for an allied detachment.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Just a thing, an allied detachment can't take a fortification.

Of course it can be in the Primary so it gets there on way or the other.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just a thing, an allied detachment can't take a fortification.
Yes, I should have specified that the allied detachment is using the ADL bought for my primary detachment.

I'd swap the Tactical Sergeant out and add in the Company Master for the squad sergeant as he has a combi plasma and a Power Sword
I like the idea, but I actually hate the model for Balthazar or whatever his name is. I may just cut the sergeant's hands off and model what I need there one day, it's not like I lack bits from the 5000 or so points of BA I've got.

Beliel is nice, no arguments there, but I think he is too expensive for an allied detachment.
I like him, but until I make a model for him I'll not be using him. Also, he would have to be in the Primary Detachment in order to capitalize on having DW as troops, which is wicked. One day...

When I saw the cost of the DA libby's (and their special wargear section) I lost my hat. I can't friggin' wait for a BA 'dex. What's the rumour, late 2014 or something?? :biggrin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd advise against picking up Plasma Pistols. They're too costly for what they do!

I'd put at lest 2 TH/SS on the DW squad, to soak up dome damage when they arrive.

For the Libby, why not picking up the PFG instead of Conversion Field? the entire squad will benefit from the 4++ :)
Ah, and roll at least once in Divination: Prescience is very interesting. If you roll first Forewarning (if you don't pick PFG) or Misfortune, grab it and then choose Prescience next.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd advise against picking up Plasma Pistols. They're too costly for what they do!
Had one take out a Hellhound (I think, the IG flamer tank) yesterday right before I got flamed with AP3. Would've killed the squad for sure. That was after the two meltas in the squad missed with snake eyes.

I'd put at lest 2 TH/SS on the DW squad, to soak up dome damage when they arrive.
Once I finish my Necron army and paint the Dark Vengeance stuff I'll be making up two more squads of Deathwing terminators and a Belial model, as well as painting one of my (formerly BA) Land Raiders up for the DW. Until that far off day I am left with the 5 guys from the box...though I suppose I DO have an unpainted Terminator Assault squad for my BA army....if I find them getting shot up by AP2 stuff when they are showing up I will play them in that squad.

For the Libby, why not picking up the PFG instead of Conversion Field? the entire squad will benefit from the 4++
It's more points and they're in an ADL in most if not all situations. Otherwise yeah, solid piece of wargear. I'll look into finding those points.

roll at least once in Divination: Prescience is very interesting. If you roll first Forewarning (if you don't pick PFG) or Misfortune, grab it and then choose Prescience next.
It makes me so nervous leaving powers up to dice. What you're advising here is that should I not take the PFG (which I likely won't for the first little while) I should roll on Divination for both my powers, or just the first time to see what happens in an attempt to get either Forewarning or Misfortune? If I get something else and choose Prescience in lieu of say, Scrier's Gaze (which seems really dumb, at least in my army list and since we rarely remember Mysterious Objectives) do you think I should chance rolling a second time or go for another table that has an acceptable Primaris power as a safe fallback? I like Biomancy, hoping for Life Leech but settling for Smite. I will for sure be up against a CC oriented Daemon Prince and having as much to shoot at it as possible would be nice. It's not that I don't like other powers in Divination, I just can't bring myself to put that much trust in my dice....it unsettles me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wouldn't take mastery level 2 or the pfg.

Just give him Prescience at Mastery Level 1 and combat squad your tacticals into two 5 man groups, that will allow you to move your other 5 tactical marines (no snap shots with a plasma cannon). Prescience on whatever unit is in range and can do the most damage at the start of each of your movement phases.

For the points of the mastery level and the pfg, you can give him artificer armor + displacer field for less points and have 2+/3+ saves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts