Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I recently got back into Warhammer and decided on a Dark Angels army I thought I'd rejoin this cherished little community once more ^^.

I got the Dark Vengeance set because it contains everything I need, and also because the store manager did me a deal and removed all the Chaos miniatures.

I did in fact receive the following.

2 x Company Master
2 x Librarian
20 x Marines + Sergeant + Special/Heavy weapons
10 x Deathwing Terminators + Sergeant
6 x Ravenwing Bikers
All 3 templates
Rulebook

Basically I got over £228 worth of models for just £65!

Anyway I painted a Librarian the other day and he went far better than expected considering how long I've been out of the loop. And here he is!

I had limited paints at the time and didn't want him to look identical to the other Psyker. So I cut off his hand and gave him a Combi-Plasma. I'm glad to be playing again and taking so much pride in painting an awesome army again ^^ even if my initial painting will be a bit off.

The robes came out surprisingly well, undercoat of Scar White + Ushabti Bone, then highlighted with Zamesi Desert before being dry-brushed with VX-88. In hindsight should have probably done the dry-brushing FIRST and then highlighting SECOND.

Flesh also came out quite well, which is Bugman's Glow lightly highlighted with Cadian Fleshtone.

All comments welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hay dude good stuff how long have you been out? Gws paints have come on alot that makes things easier. I would give it a wash of waterd nuln oil and put some high lights on the blue.
A simple way of getting a good blue is base then highlight then nuln oil wash. Then you can give it a blue glaze if you're feeling adventurous.
Check my sig for some examples.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Hay dude good stuff how long have you been out? Gws paints have come on alot that makes things easier. I would give it a wash of waterd nuln oil and put some high lights on the blue.
A simple way of getting a good blue is base then highlight then nuln oil wash. Then you can give it a blue glaze if you're feeling adventurous.
Check my sig for some examples.
i was going to give the same advice.
Overall work is good, just need some shadowing and highlighting!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's why I've been browsing the painting section, I need some advice on how to shadow and highlight, especially with Ravenwing since highlighting black without making it look grey is difficult.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Try using a highlight of caliban green then an extreme with a bit of flashgitz yellow and caliban green then the wash of nuln oil. Boom ravenwing scheme. Should contrast well with some white a nd red on wings etc.
So here is how I would do it.
Spray model black.
Base all the colors other than black, guns, wings etc.
Highlight the black armour up with the mix of caliban green. Then the extreme.
Then wash the whole model with a liberal nuln oil.
When totally dry. You have your shaded model.
I would then highlight the reds and whites/bone etc. Do the base
Model done.
Give that a go, I'm sure you will be happy with the results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts