Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader first time poster.

After what i'd call a long career break i'm now back in the realms of the 40K world and have resurrected another eldar army as my previous force, 15 or so years ago, served me well in many a battle.

Having the previlege of using tanks in an army is something new to me however dark reapers are not. In my old army (2000pts i think) i made use of two squads of three which weighed in at a hefty 210pts per squad but packed a str 8 shot in them glory days.

I've read on various sites including this one how those players that field an Eldar army rave over how good reapers are. Unfortunately i just cannot see the point of them for the reasons below:

1. They are a heavy support choice.
2. There 35pts per model.
3. Reaper launcher is only Str 5 AP 3 (Heavy 2)
4. They are not flee of foot and may only move or fire.

When i think heavy support i think of something that can turn a tank into a smoking creator. Str 5 isn't going to cut any ice with me never mind the front or side armour of any tank. IMO i don't even see them as character killers as there is no chance of instant death and most characters carry sufficient armour/fields etc to stop those shots that do wound.

Therefore, the only advantage that i can see that reapers can bring to any Eldar army is range which is sadly lacking from most Eldar weapons. However, given the speed of Eldar most troops can be in range but turn 2 if you lucky. In essence, they are long range rank and file troop killers. Personally i'd rather spend the points elsewhere like a couple of walkers with shurriken cannon and scatter laser configuration for example for rougly the same cost as three reapers.

Let me have any thoughts on what you fellas think and how you use them as i'm looking to expand and can't help but think that i must be wrong on this and missing something given the general concensus on this subject.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Actually, I agree with you.

Reapers are not as valued as they once were because they simply to not have the resiliency that a support unit needs in an Eldar army. Without screening, it is too easy to target them and lose a substantial chunk of your army.

On the other hand, don't discount the use of those Str5 AP3 MEq-killing shots, or the ability of the Exarch to upgrade to a missile launcher with 2 shots hitting on 2's. They are still a viable anti-tank/anti-MEq unit, but really need to be protected through cover and army build. Ensuring that your opponent sees your Reapers as a 'lesser' threat in your army really helps. Sometimes, pushing a Falcon and a Wraithlord up your opponent's nose will divert much damaging fire away from the Reapers, though it usually does not work out like this.

I've traded off 10 Reapers, having never fielded them. They simply do not suit my army or the way I like to play Eldar. I'd rather have a Wraithlord or a Prism.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Yeah I aggree that Reapers should be a Elite slot rather than Heavy as they cant destroy main tanks and are good "Marine" killers with their AP3 weapons.

·
Registered
304 Posts
although they have their faults, they are pretty useful. I have a squad of 5 with an exarch in my 2000 point, and they always serve me well. Just because it says "Heavy Support", doesn't mean that they have to be awesome tank killers. They have heavy weapons, are not particular mobile and a reasonable survivability. Elites are usually moderately fast and flexable units. The Dark Reapers are niether of these

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can see GW making them heavies because of the prominence of 3+ nowadays. You can get good tank killers in elites ala Fire Dragons, no? So just because they can kill tanks doesn't mean that they are a heavy support option automatically.

·
Registered
176 Posts
They fit OK in the classic Guardian heavy list led by an Avatar.

In my list though they'd be more of a liability than an asset (plus the models for Falcons and the new Wraithlord are incredible).

·
Registered
84 Posts
In the current list Reapers are deigned to act as a static firebase, and if it used correctly, they do it quite well. Unfortunately, many eldar armies are going mobile, which has less use for static fire.

Best use for Reapers is to close down fire lanes aka movement denial. You put a fully kitted squad, w/ an EML totting, fast shot Exarch, in a terrain piece off to one side and you now have range on pretty much anything that walks into their LOS. Add a farseer with guide, and possibly fortune, and they're not going anywhere, and they'll be pretty hard to dislodge.

They are NOT for tank busting, that's why we have fire dragons. However, as stated, they'll mow down Meqs, especially any ones that don't have jump packs.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Reapers are great for holding a strongpoint. If you can get them dug in so that you have to get in and charge them to shake them loose, they'll be around for a while. Don't underestimate the ability to shred an entire Space Marine squad in a turn, either. Ten dead assault marines generally will represent more than the Reapers' points cost, and will more often than not save your Aspect Warriors a rather large headache in close combat. If you can gun down dedicated assault units with good reliability... it's a good thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As said before Dark Reapers are intended as a static fire support squad. Personally I think there are better heavy support choices like a kitted up falcon or a wraithlord.
Points wise I believe them to be hit and miss at the best of times, but because they are anti-MEQ you can make points back very quickly if you deploy them wisely.
I believe the best set up to be 4 Dark Reapers and an Exarch with a tempest launcher and the exarch power fast shot. That's three blasts every turn he shoots. Dark Reapers are pricey and several players I know simply throw huge squads of guardsmen/boyz into them to tie them up and stop them from taking a hefty toll in the shooting phase. The tempest launcher helps in that respect because of the potential to hit and wound a whole light infantry squad at once.
Transport them with a farseer in a falcon. Finding the right place for them to stay is a priority on the very rare occasions I use them.

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
I've never played as Eldar (Foul Xenos!), but I have fought bitterly against them quite a few times against my pointy-helmeted friends. I would say that Dark Reapers are good on a medium-sized table, against SM, CSM, or Necrons. Anything with a 3+ save Dark Reapers p'Own.

-Dirge

·
Registered
598 Posts
have to agree with you dirge
dark reapers are effective, but they are not really tactically flexible
they are more of the stand in cover and shoot squads
personally, id rather take rangers then reapers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the information and your views fellas. I suppose i've been a little spoilt as i've mainly battled against Imperial Guardmen and their lack of armour (although not tank armour - he is a treadhead) but with Tau oppostion on the horizon reapers may have their uses on the field.

Despite that next on my list are some rangers as they look far better than the reaper models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I myself think that Dark Reapers are great, and if you give your exarch an EML they actually can deal with tanks if nescecary:so_happy:!
*First post ever!!!!*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts