Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just picked up Dark Heresy off of a friend. I was wondering what it is, so I just decided to borrow it from him.

I'm completely new to table top games. I mean, I have watched a few DnD matches before, but I've never really played in one. Ive been reading up on the rules and basically the whole book for the past 2 hours or so.

My main point is, is there anyone who would like to play, obviously me being new I can't be a GM, but I would love to play with a few people, new or not, and learn the ropes, and continue from there.

Now, is there any way we would play over a messenger, like IRC or something?

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Probably, you just need to find people who want to play really; if something starts up I would be more than happy to give it a go.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The biggest problem I see is that all the players would be almost required to buy/have access to a copy of the basic book at the very least.

The role playing section here on Heresy is a good place to start for even a novice roleplayer, while it isn't Dark Heresy and tends to focus more upon Astartes than other aspects of 40k... it is a great way to break into the mindset of creating a character and building a personality. It takes the stress off of the 'what stat do I roll to do X action?' and focuses more on the creative aspect of roleplaying. The section of the forums can be found here>

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Take a look around and read through some of the threads if you so desire (some are quite lengthy though very good reads). Feel free to ask questions as well either through pm's or posting on the gm's recruitment page although please take note of the age of the thread before digging up any zombies.

If you are solely interested in Dark Heresy, I would suggest taking a look at the Fantasy Flight forums (the publisher of the rpg)> http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_temas.asp?efid=70&efcid=3 as well as asking around at your local gaming store to see if there are any groups in your area willing to take on a new player.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I have been playing since it debuted, but NYC to VA is a bit of a trek for new players. Move to DC and we'll talk.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You could use something like Maptools. www.rptools.net

Not played Dark Heresy but have spent a lot of time ove the last few years playing various other RPGs. Setup an Earthdawn game using maptools and it worked realyl well, I jsut didnt really have the time to continue GMing and it fell apart after a few weeks. Maptool worked really well though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just got dark heresy today, and i wanna play online, that maptool thingy looks good, if we can get someone to gm im in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I downloaded Maptools as well. Its looks pretty sick.

I'm thinking if we can get a few GMs and players that wanna play, we could start weekly games, and just play online.

Is there any specific messenger we could use/preffered? like probably any IRC, AIM, or etc.

And for the problem of people who don't have the book, there are pdfs of the book itself online, they could easily find those and use'm for online use itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
here to show my interest as a Player, not a GM. :biggrin:
At my disposal I have the core rulebook and the Inquisitor's handbook.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good!

So is anyone actually interested in holding actual online game sessions? I'm sort of new to it, but I think I can organize them (not GM wise), and actually keep it running.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Yeah I'd be interesting in participating in something; could be fun depending on who runs it and what characters the players come up with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I'm thinking if we find one or two GMs to help us out, and some players with amazing ideas, we can have something awesome going here.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Well you don't even need amazing idea's, just someone willing to be GM and run one of the starter campaigns. That way people who are new to it can get into the feel and it doesn't run the risk of getting to out of hand.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have experience in Dark Heresy (on both sides of the GM screen) and have all of the books.

I would *rather* join as a player if this gets going; however there is always the chance that I could be talked into running something.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great!

This is why we should find an extra GM or two to try and switch off between who will be a GM in one scenario, and then they switch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hrm, should I make a seperate thread to recruit people for play? Since its gonna be a weekly thing over chat, I'd assume a better more organized thread should be made.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Fun, so we have a fair number of players (more than five) but really no GM. Thats no outright willing GM, one or two people have said they would do it if need be. I think finding someone who wants to be a GM would be the most important thing right now, since we can't do anything without one; and honestly all you need is two or three players after the GM and we have more than that interested in giving this a go.

ConfictorGeneralis, I think that this might require something more fast paced than play by post; otherwise I suggest you take a look at some of the RP's over in roleplay threads for something like that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If it ever comes off the ground, i would love to be a player. >P

·
Registered
855 Posts
The biggest problem I run into gm'ing is that for the next ~30 days my husband will be home from Iraq and a vast ammount of my attention will be focused upon him until he deploys out again.

After that point I would have no problems running something, however I tend to dislike the pre-made settings as they have a habbit of limiting players in their choices.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd be willing to GM... provided you guys aren't a pack of vicious, imperium dogs ready to tear me limb from limb at the slightest mistake (Oh wait...:scratchhead:) I've got plenty of possible ideas and a very flexible schedule so it's all a matter of when and how you guys wanna do this :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts