225pts.

23 black guard
Full command
Standard of hag graef
Null talisman x3

414pts.

Reaper bolt thrower
Reaper Bolt thrower

I am a little worried about only relying on my bolt throwers for the high strength hits, but it seems that cavalry were nerfed in 8th ed, so I dont much feel like sinking point into CoKs. I am considering a war hydra in place of one of the reapers, just have to free up 75 pts. somewhere then.

So basically the BSB and Dreadlord go with the Black gaurd with the combination of standards each dreadlord makes 3 always striking first ws5 str attacks, re-rolling misses. And their stubborn ld 10 with a re-roll. and they can re-roll hits every round..Awesome sauce.

The spearmen and corsaird just march up and fight whatever needs fighting, and the crossbowmen try and whittle down the horde so my squishy little elves dont get mulched, so crossbowmen at orc boys, gobbos marauders, anything lightly armourd pretty much, while my bolt throwers my large bolts at cavalry, ogres, minotaurs, chaos warriors etc.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
442 Posts
dread lord i would go crimson death armour of darkness pendant of kaleth and a supreme sorceress with lore of shadow tome seal of ghrond u decide where 2 find the points

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Dark Elves 2250pts.

Dreadlord
Chillblade
Pendant of Khaeleth
Blood armour
Sea dragon cloak
Shield
249pts.
Chillblade is worthless, give him the Whip of Agony, which gives him an extra attack now. Half the points and more killy. Give him Armor of Darkness with some of the extra points.

Sorceress
Tome of furion
Level 2
150pts.

Sorceress
Level 2
Dispel scroll
Null talisman
175pts.
Which lores are you giving them? You have to specify in the list now, and that will change your tactics a good bit with them. I suggest one with the Lore of Dark, and one with the Lore of Fire, the Fire one not having ToF.

Master
BSB
Hydra banner
Heavy armour
Shield
Sea dragon cloak
190pts.
Giving him a magic banner makes him easier to kill, and the Hydra banner is a bit too expensive for my tastes. I'd make it a regular battle-standard, and kit him out for combat, geared towards survivability with the Armor of Eternal Servitude.

30 corsairs
Full command
Sea serpent standard
350pts.
Decent choice. I'd use them as best you can to soak up enemy missile fire.

10 crossbowmen x3 300pts.
Personal preference here, but combining these, giving them full command plus shields, and a character with The Guiding Eye is a great choice.

30 spearmen
Full command
Shields
225pts.
Always a good choice.

23 black guard
Full command
Standard of hag graef
Null talisman x3 414pts.
Black-Guard are 20 max. Banner of Hag Graef gives them practically nothing, seeing as they hit before everybody anyways, and already have rerolls, replace with the Banner of Murder.

Reaper bolt thrower
Reaper Bolt thrower
If you can, replace these with a Hydra. I don't think I need to tell you what 7 S5 attacks, 6 S3 AP, and 3d6 S5 autohits can do to a unit.

I am a little worried about only relying on my bolt throwers for the high strength hits, but it seems that cavalry were nerfed in 8th ed, so I dont much feel like sinking point into CoKs. I am considering a war hydra in place of one of the reapers, just have to free up 75 pts. somewhere then.
That, along with some of the suggestions I gave earlier should give you enough high strength. The Dreadlord will have a good number of attacks, with a -3 to armor save, and the Black-Guard would have a -2, both taking good care of any good armor saves.

So basically the BSB and Dreadlord go with the Black gaurd with the combination of standards each dreadlord makes 3 always striking first ws5 str attacks, re-rolling misses. And their stubborn ld 10 with a re-roll. and they can re-roll hits every round..Awesome sauce.
Black-Guard already reroll hits every round of combat, and with the Banner of Murder that I suggested, they'll be able to take care of just about anything. A Cauldron would be able to make them even better, so I'd suggest getting that model, especially since it's ace in this edition.

The spearmen and corsaird just march up and fight whatever needs fighting, and the crossbowmen try and whittle down the horde so my squishy little elves dont get mulched, so crossbowmen at orc boys, gobbos marauders, anything lightly armourd pretty much, while my bolt throwers my large bolts at cavalry, ogres, minotaurs, chaos warriors etc.
Bolt Throwers would never be enough against a good amount of any of those you mentioned, but again, with what I suggested, that shouldn't be a problem. The spearmen, Corsairs, and Crossbowmen are good choices however.

What do you guys think?
Comments in red.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good catch on the blackguard! And by saying giving him a magic standard makes him easier to kill, do you mean simply no magic armour? Or is there some esoteric rule in 8th im missing? Also I didnt mean re-rolls to hit as I know they have that. I meant a re-roll on all ld based tests. and I was thinking of doing that with the lord anyways. I already actually had that plan with the sorc's. I could drop the banner of hag graef but too be honest I like the hyrda banner, with the new rules that means by black guard can drop a crapton of -2 save attacks

I have my bowmen that way so they can divide or focus their fire when need be as well

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Good catch on the blackguard! And by saying giving him a magic standard makes him easier to kill, do you mean simply no magic armour? Or is there some esoteric rule in 8th im missing? Also I didnt mean re-rolls to hit as I know they have that. I meant a re-roll on all ld based tests. and I was thinking of doing that with the lord anyways. I already actually had that plan with the sorc's. I could drop the banner of hag graef but too be honest I like the hyrda banner, with the new rules that means by black guard can drop a crapton of -2 save attacks

I have my bowmen that way so they can divide or focus their fire when need be as well
No magic armor, yes, and he's also a bigger priority to target. To be honest, since Hydra Banner is only the first round of combat, it was only really worth it on units like Cold One Knights, and now I wouldn't take it. As I said earlier, invest in a Cauldron of Blood. It allows you to give +1 attack to a unit for 2 combat phases, or, if necessary, other useful things like 5+ ward and Killing Blow. Imagine cavalry charging in, and having to face 16 or so Killing Blow attacks rerolling to hit. Very nasty. :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
You really need a Lvl 4 Sorceress for a variety of reason, both casting and dispelling in 8th ed. and can fit it in in 8th edition but will have to alter the dreadlord to give her the PoK or use some of the new common magic items for protection.

BG still benefit from ASF banner as they will see higher Initiative characters and high elves and warriors of chaos in 8th edition, which they will. Also, if a master or dreadlord is in the unit, the ASF banner is very good. Run maybe 14 at most and include champ with crimsom blade or whip.

Consider putting the regen armour or AoD plus ward save on the dreadlord and Pok on a lvl 4 is a standard, good choice. Also, crimson blade is best weapon for dreadlord.

You have more than enough core. The best core is RXB warriors in two ranks with shields and music, followed by a unit of RHB corsairs (due to quickto strike and wound on 6's always) with SSS banner (can check frenzy with LD test) and music (swift reform) in two ranks. I'd cut a unit of core to just the number of points needed and add two hydras with the two RBTs (can run that in 8th edition). You really need the hydras to take on big stuff and they rock if they charge early and get that 2D6 autohit breath weapon attack in close combat and D6 thunderstomp autohits but hydra needs to run with something else. Even if the hydras die to flaming magic, which they will at times, they will eat up so much effort, something else will get through. Last night, againts a Gateway WoC army (nasty in 8th edition), 1 hydra killed an entire unit of chaos knights with terror and a flank charge (caught the unit fleeing due to new charge and flee rules) and finished off some Slaanesh marauders before a daemon price killed it with flickering fire and gateway. In order words, the hydra won double it Vps and forced a daemon prince to spend two turns on it chasing it and casting at it.

RXB warriors need shields and musicians for swift reform, rallies, and can now rank. Run 2x10 and then swift reform into 5x4 if close to combat as an option to be steadfast for at least a turn and they can be very effective.

I really think DE need a cauldron to be effective for the +1 attack, KB and ward save in 8th edition. Better than the master with hydra banner for sure, as you can direct to buff to the unit needing it most as the game goes on.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
You really need a Lvl 4 Sorceress for a variety of reason, both casting and dispelling in 8th ed. and can fit it in in 8th edition but will have to alter the dreadlord to give her the PoK or use some of the new common magic items for protection.
Ah yes, I forgot to touch on this. Yes, I'd drop one of the lower-level sorcs to get a Level 4, and perhaps drop the Dreadlord.
BG still benefit from ASF banner as they will see higher Initiative characters and high elves and warriors of chaos in 8th edition, which they will. Also, if a master or dreadlord is in the unit, the ASF banner is very good. Run maybe 14 at most and include champ with crimsom blade or whip.
Personally, 20 is the best now. Improved shooting will kill more of them, and anyways, you want them to last as long as they can. If I could, I'd take 30-40 of the suckers. :laugh: And they don't really benefit from ASF as much as they benefit from AP. I'd much rather have the extra -1 to armor save to deal with enemy characters than attacking before them. Hardly matters if you can't kill them because they still have a good armor save, amirite?

Consider putting the regen armour or AoD plus ward save on the dreadlord and Pok on a lvl 4 is a standard, good choice. Also, crimson blade is best weapon for dreadlord.

You have more than enough core. I'd cut a unit of core and add two hydras with the two RBTs (can run that in 8th edition). You really need the hydras to take on big stuff and they rock if they charge early and get that 2D6 autohit breath weapon attack in close combat and D6 thunderstomp autohits but hydra needs to run with something else.

RXB warriors need shields and musicians for swift reform, rallies, and can now rank. Run 2x10 and then swift reform into 5x4 if close to combat as an option to be steadfast for at least a turn and they can be very effective.

I really think DE need a cauldron to be effective for the +1 attack, KB and ward save in 8th edition. Better than the master with hydra banner for sure.
Other stuff I've mostly touched on.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so updated list,

Dark Elves 2250pts.

Dreadlord
Whip of Agony
Ring of Darkness (since you were talking about improved shooting, and always useful in a challenge)
Shadow armour 2pts.
Sea dragon cloak
Shield
249pts.
Supreme sorceress
Level 4 tome of furion
Pendant of Khaeleth
Lifetaker (Just a thought Since ideally she is out of combat anyways)
305pts.

Sorceress
Level 2
150pts.

Master
BSB
Heavy armour
Shield
Sea dragon cloak
115pts.

Death Hag
Cauldron of blood
200pts.

30 corsairs
Full command
Sea serpent standard
350pts.

15 crossbowmen x2 musicians 310pts.

30 spearmen
Full command
Shields
225pts.

23 black guard
Full command
Banner of murder
Null talisman

414pts.

Reaper bolt thrower
Hydra

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Ok so updated list,

Dark Elves 2250pts.

Dreadlord
Whip of Agony
Ring of Darkness (since you were talking about improved shooting, and always useful in a challenge)
Shadow armour 2pts.
Sea dragon cloak
Shield
249pts.
Yes, that build should be good, and the Ring of Darkness would make the Blackguard a harder target. Lack of ward save is a problem though. I assume the Shadow Armor is the Armor of Darkness for 1+ armor save? Anyways, just switch it out for Armor of Eternal Servitude, and you'll be good.
Supreme sorceress
Level 4 tome of furion
Pendant of Khaeleth
Lifetaker (Just a thought Since ideally she is out of combat anyways)
305pts.
Yes, this would go well with her being in a Crossbowman unit. I'd take away Tome of Furion and give it back to the Sorceress though. A Darkstar Cloak would be a good investment here.

Sorceress
Level 2
150pts.

Master
BSB
Heavy armour
Shield
Sea dragon cloak
115pts.
Nice and cheap. Add more protection if you get the points after any other modifications, but at this price, you don't have to worry all too much about losing him.

Death Hag
Cauldron of blood
200pts.

30 corsairs
Full command
Sea serpent standard
350pts.

15 crossbowmen x2 musicians 310pts.

30 spearmen
Full command
Shields
225pts.

23 black guard
Full command
Banner of murder
Null talisman
Still only 20 max dammit! XD

414pts.

Reaper bolt thrower
Hydra
Last few comments in red. List is looking much better now.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
haha just forgot to change that out! and where do you think I should free the points for that armour? and yes I meant that armour :p I will switch the tome to the sorcerer. and give her the cloak then

EDIT:
Looking over the armour I see I have points for it, but at best I would only be able to have 3+ armour save in combat, though I would still have regen. But from what I understand regen isnt as good this edition?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Regen is a 4+ (usually) ward that vanishes when touched by fire for the entire phase. So if you have a 4+ or better ward already, it's useless as "take the best armor/ward save you have" is in effect.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wait wait wait, you mean in 8th ed you only get to make one save of any type? as opposed to an armour save, then a ward save, then a regen save? assuming you have enough equipment to give you the three types of save?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
You get your best Armor and then your Best Ward. Regen is just a type of ward, so it's going to be ignored if you've got a more reliable ward.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Your level 2 sorceress needs perhaps the Dispel Scroll and the Ruby Ring of Rhuin.
She can't have the Dispel Scroll if she has the Tome of Furion, which is a much better investment. And if Ruby Ring of Rhuin is the one that gives a bound spell, forget it. Much better to just cast one of the better spells that the Sorcs would have.

Edit: Went to the Ruby Ring of Rhuin thread, and if it is true that you can cast the signature spell at the maximum level with that, then it actually is a good investment. Nevermind what I said about that here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts