Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically if I have ASF and the exectutioners axe, which is ASL which o errides which? Because great weapons also say they ASL, yet ASF overides this. So does my Dreadlord ASF with the axe?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes but im only using it for a list vs Lizardmen, so my initative owns him, then my str 10 d3 wounds makes nice little bits out of those scary oldbloods!

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Always Strikes First only overrides Always Strikes Last for High Elves. For everyone else ASL and ASF cancel out to strike at initiative.

Aramoro

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Always Strikes First only overrides Always Strikes Last for High Elves. For everyone else ASL and ASF cancel out to strike at initiative.

Aramoro
Sorta true, but the insinuation is misleading: ASF and ASL always cancel each other out... but the rule that gives HE's their ASF says that they have ASF regardless of the weapon they are carrying or in otherwords, HEs are immune to the effects of ASL on any weapon they carry.
This does not mean that HEs get to ignore ASL from other sorces such as the WE amber pendant...

@OP- yes, its a good weapon and will mush any lizards who stands in front of you (except for khakax.. if I've spelt that even remotely right), the downside is that 'his mate' wont be dead and will kill you. EG- you run into a temple guard unit and issue a challenge... the lizard player declines. You kill however many lizards you can, but then a handful of attacks get put onto your dreadlord and you die.
Having massive offensive power is great in 8th if you are striking first and are in a challenge... the problem comes when you arent in a challenge and the basic enemy models get the chance to hit you (and they always will unless you anhiliate the unit first).

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Sorta true, but the insinuation is misleading: ASF and ASL always cancel each other out... but the rule that gives HE's their ASF says that they have ASF regardless of the weapon they are carrying or in otherwords, HEs are immune to the effects of ASL on any weapon they carry.
This does not mean that HEs get to ignore ASL from other sorces such as the WE amber pendant...
Wood Elves specifies though that Amber Pendant ignores ASL.

@OP- yes, its a good weapon and will mush any lizards who stands in front of you (except for khakax.. if I've spelt that even remotely right), the downside is that 'his mate' wont be dead and will kill you. EG- you run into a temple guard unit and issue a challenge... the lizard player declines. You kill however many lizards you can, but then a handful of attacks get put onto your dreadlord and you die.
Having massive offensive power is great in 8th if you are striking first and are in a challenge... the problem comes when you arent in a challenge and the basic enemy models get the chance to hit you (and they always will unless you anhiliate the unit first).
Chakax. But anything that enforces a challenge and nulls magic weapons at the same time is always nasty. Don't have the book to hand, but it's either ASF he gets, (which is bad for you), or you get ASL (which is good, as you Strike Simultaneously).

Worst combination to possibly come up against in a challenge is the aforementioned Wood Elf Amber Pendant. Amber Pendant, Annoyance of Netlings, Alter Kindred, Helm of the Hunt, and Sword of Might, you're looking at 6 S5 Attacks, hitting first, and only being attacked back on 6's. With a 9" move, it's pretty horrendous.

On an even worse side, it also means that in a 2000 point army you could be up against the Minigunner at the same time (Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Shield of Ptolos, Opal Amulet, Light Armour) - 5 Longbow Shots, Ignoring Armour Saves, 5+ Armour Save, (1+ versus Shooting), and a 4+ Ward Save versus first wound.

Wood Elf characters became very dangerous all of sudden, but the rest of the army suffers except in certain builds.

Whoops, derail.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
442 Posts
he makes you always strike last and chaxax is useless now take gor rok in a unit of temple gaurd and go fuck you bitch i count as defending an obstacle all the time and you re roll succsesful rolls to wound me

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd hardly say Chakax is useless. First off, he's been alluded to a couple of times in this post, yet no one has pointed out the fact that he HAS to fight in a challenge if possible. He can't duck one, and, in fact, has to fight in a challenge if there's an enemy for him to issue one to. Secondly, his opponent ALWAYS has to strike last, regardless of special rules/magic weapons/whatever, because of the "I have the ability to slow time down" special item. Chakax is a beast in challenges- hardly useless, and his points aren't all that high.

·
Registered
442 Posts
he is 335 pts and can be beaten by a fairly cheap character anybody has access to armed with a great weapon such as a warrior preist with great weapon or even a great sword champ with him in the unit and you can refuse to challenge himcompared to gor rok who re rolls to hit in the first turn of combat forces you re-rolls to wound him and counts as defending an obstacle he also happens to de 120pts cheaper

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Chakax is very nasty and will kill pretty much any character he somes up against unless its a true monster... my ogre tyrant can take him, and daemon lords would... but Im not sure of too much else that could. Then you add in the reroll of look out sirs for him and the slaan (unbreakable is nearly useless- just how often has anyone seen a temple guard unit break unless its been totally destroyed in combat, and if it stayed in that sort of combat would get destroyed soon enough anyway). Cannons or magic attacks like the golden hounds just trying to pick out characters from temple guard units is a great plan- a cannonball bounces through the TG unit... you are going to kill 3-4 temple guard but if you have it bouncing through the slaan you add in the chance that he'll fail the 1in6 look out sir and get smooshed... suddenly having killed the main enemy caster, his general.. and possibly his BSB all in 1 shot is huge. Chakax makes that so unlikely that you just wouldnt try it (afterall, if you aim to hit the slaan you'll be hitting 1 less model since teh slaan takes up 2 ranks but only needs 1 guy to take his look out sir).

·
Registered
39 Posts
getting back on topic.

you strike at initative order. if you would pick up the damn book and READ it you would have known the awnser instead of asking it without reading it. the page on which you can find it is : page 66 under always strikes last.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
getting back on topic.

you strike at initative order. if you would pick up the damn book and READ it you would have known the awnser instead of asking it without reading it. the page on which you can find it is : page 66 under always strikes last.

Wow, I think that response to my question was unneccisarily aggressive. And a little hippocritical, because if you had READ the first page you would see my question was already answered. Thank you for taking the time though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts