Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've played a few times in 7th edition but I'm finding it a lot harder to get to grips with what makes a good army in Fantasy than in 40K. I haven't played 8th yet cos we are mid-season in a league at the club and it's being played under 7th. Given however my appalling record with my Dark Elfs this year (played 6, won 2 Lost 4) I'm turning my mind to next year.

So here's my first thoughts on an army for 8th. Lots of comments on what I'm doing wrong, what units are thought hot (and which not), whether I'm all confused etc will be really welcome.

Juno, High Sorceress - Lvl4 - Pegasus, Earthing Rod, Pendant of Khaeleth, Relic Sword -380

Dotty, Sorceress - Lvl2 Feedback Scroll -185

Patty, Hag queen - Cauldron, BSB -225

40 Warriors, Full Command, Lichebone Pennant -310

10 Crossbowmen - 100

10 Crossbowmen -100

5 Harpies -55

14 Black Guard - Full Command, Banner of Murder, Tower Master has Armour of Darkness. -267

2 x Reaper Bolt Throwers - 200

Hydra - 175

Should be 1997 in total.

The HS is on a Pegasus so as to increase her spellcasting range. I'd have preferred to use Focus Familiar but I wanted the Earthing Rod so I could use her aggressively.

Her junior playmate has the Feedback Scroll to mess up other magic users.

I've not used the Cauldron before but it's ability to buff other units looks very helpful. I'm assuming that as a warmachine it can't join units so it's best used behind the main battle line?

I kept 2 small xbow units rather than 1 big one as I intend to place these as flank guard for the 3 main fighting units.

Working out how to handle HtH in Fantasy with the DE has proved my biggest challenge. The Dwarfs that I used for the first dozen or so games were easy. You marched up, got stuck in, and usually won. The DE are much more fragile. I've therefore gone for a Hydra on the basis that it's manouverable and hits hard. A 40 strong Warriors unit to take advantage of the Horde rule or the Steadfast rule (I'll alter formation depending on what they are fighting). And a smallish Black Guard unit that I intend to run only 2 ranks deep. (I'm hoping that at I6 I'll go first and 18 Str4 Armour Piercing attacks
-assisted by the Warrior Elite rule- will carve big holes in almost anything.

Finally a couple of Reapers - to keep Monsters honest.

So comments please.

Thanks in advance
TT

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
You have to specify which Lore to use when making a list now. Dark Lore is decent, and very easy to cast - however, Lore of Beasts is extremely decent on a Level 4 - you can pretty much 2 dice cast it, and

Sorceress Lord - Drop the Relic Sword - one attack, wounding on a 5+ is useless - you will wound T4 on a 5+ in any case against War Machines - which should be the only thing you get yourself in combat with.

Feedback Scroll - decent, but not so much so that I'd bother taking it over a normal scroll or frog scroll (to turn HElves, Frogs and Tzeentch Lords into frogs).

MR1 from a Lichebone Pennant is nigh on useless - a 6+ Ward Save versus spell attacks is fairly horrendous - it's only when you get to MR2 or MR3 when it becomes effective. IMHO, take a Banner of Swiftness if you have to take one - M6 Elves are fairly decent.

Crossbowmen - not enough of them, personally. I'd take 20, 10, 10 with shields with Musician. They get a 5+ AS, and a 6+ WS in CC - making them fairly decent when engaged.

Harpies, good for supporting the Pegasus, but not much else. They can't break anything now, and rarely do enough damage, but are nice and cheap.

Black Guard - not enough of them. They won't ever be steadfast, and giving the Armour of Darkness to the Master is a poor idea - he has a 1+ AS, big whoop. He has 1 wound, and is one T3 model, who can kill a maximum of 3 models in CC, and will most likely kill 1 a turn, resulting in 2-3 a game - not worth doubling his cost. Either take two more, or the Ring of Hotek, Mask of Eee, Tricksters Shard, or Ring of Ruin.

Banner of Murder is a decent choice, or the Sea Serpent Standard (they're Ld9 with a Reroll nearby, so aren't likely to go hareing off, but still have 3 Attacks apiece (4 for the Master). ASF is less effective now, as you're I6 and have reroll to hit in any case.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Juno, High Sorceress - Lvl4 - Pegasus, Earthing Rod, Pendant of Khaeleth, Relic Sword -380
The Relic Sword is useless on a caster. Earthing Rod seems pretty useless, since she's on a Peggy she should have Focus Familiar or a Darkstar Cloak. Preferably, she should be on foot with the sacrificial dagger in some warriors, but hey, you probably already assembled that PegaSorc.

Dotty, Sorceress - Lvl2 Feedback Scroll -185

Patty, Hag queen - Cauldron, BSB -225
These are decent choices.

40 Warriors, Full Command, Lichebone Pennant -310
A different banner would be much better here. Gleaming Pennant in particular.

10 Crossbowmen - 100

10 Crossbowmen -100
Give them musicians.

5 Harpies -55

14 Black Guard - Full Command, Banner of Murder, Tower Master has Armour of Darkness. -267
Too few for that investment, bump it up to 20.

2 x Reaper Bolt Throwers - 200
Get rid of these, and get some other alternatives for high S in there. A 6-man Cold One Knight unit would work well.

Hydra - 175

Should be 1997 in total.

I've not used the Cauldron before but it's ability to buff other units looks very helpful. I'm assuming that as a warmachine it can't join units so it's best used behind the main battle line?
Yes, it actually works out quite well as a flank protector, as it is nigh invulnerable to the usual warmachine hunters.

I kept 2 small xbow units rather than 1 big one as I intend to place these as flank guard for the 3 main fighting units.

Working out how to handle HtH in Fantasy with the DE has proved my biggest challenge. The Dwarfs that I used for the first dozen or so games were easy. You marched up, got stuck in, and usually won. The DE are much more fragile. I've therefore gone for a Hydra on the basis that it's manouverable and hits hard. A 40 strong Warriors unit to take advantage of the Horde rule or the Steadfast rule (I'll alter formation depending on what they are fighting). And a smallish Black Guard unit that I intend to run only 2 ranks deep. (I'm hoping that at I6 I'll go first and 18 Str4 Armour Piercing attacks
-assisted by the Warrior Elite rule- will carve big holes in almost anything.
Despite how Dark Elves used to fight, the Black Guard unit will be too small to make a difference. They'd probably get shot up before they ever even get there. Considering the investment you put in the unit, that's just not going to work.

Finally a couple of Reapers - to keep Monsters honest.

So comments please.

Thanks in advance
TT
Reapers are pretty shit. A combat character, the Sorcs, another Hydra, any of those would be better options.

Finally, as a note, Vaz, you can't take Beasts for Dark Elves. It's Dark, Death, Shadow, Metal or Fire. As well, Sea Serpent Standard is for Corsairs only.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to both of you for the help.

The genesis of the army was an assortment of figures I bought about 15 years ago just for the fun of painting of them. They stayed in the cupboard whilst I played 'serious' wargames and only re-emerged this year. So most of the figures are old and metal, and painted in a style that doesn't fit today's aesthetic!

I'm a bit surprised that you are both so down on the Reapers. They are the one thing that I felt had performed consistently well. That may reflect how I've been playing the army - sit back, shoot, then counter-punch. It's not been successful so a change of style may be in order.

Here's my attempt to synthesise what you guys have said:-

JUno, High Sorcreress - Lvl 4, Focus Familiar, Pendant of Khaeleth - Dark Lore -320

Dotty - Sorceress - Lvl 2 - Sacrificial Dagger, Pearl of Infinite Bleakness - Lore of Death - 185

Patty - Hag Queen with Cauldron - BSB - 225

42 Warriors (Dotty goes here) - Shields, Full Command - Gleaming Penant -314

10 Crossbows - Shields, Musician - 115

10 Crossbows - Shields, Musician -115

5 Harpies (kept for warmachine hunting) - 55

20 Black Guard (Juno goes here) - Full Command - Banner of Murder - 320

2x Hyrdas - 350

Should be 1,999 points

I've added a couple of extra Warriors into the Spearmen for use by Dotty with her Dagger. I've given her the Pearl so that they don't run away when faced by anything frightening (like they did on Friday when a Doomwheel sent an entire unit running on a roll of '11')

I've added the Focus Familiar to Juno to get the range.

I couldn't fit in extra characters or a Dispel Scroll (which makes me a bit uncomfortable).

So is this now looking good? Any suggestions on tactics?

Regards
TT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts