Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've started painting my Fantasy army in earnest, and am running across a problem I rarely saw in 40K - Banners. In 40k, I just painted the banners for my SoB white, marked them with (poor) japanese calligraphy in bright red, and forgot about them. I intend to do something similar with my IG using Norse runes (to the extent that I even have banners, which is just a couple of kit bashed tanks).

For Dark Elves, however, I am in a bit of a bind. Some banners are very ripply (Black Guard of Naggarond, I'm looking at you), and their width varies quite a bit. Also, my freehand is not precisely great. My thought had been to find some appropriate symbols and just make stencils to paint through, but I'm running low on symbols I'm familliar with and have any idea what to do with. I'm considering using Eldar runes (the symbols for various unit types - for example Dire Avengers = Black Guard, Witch Elves (if their banner was actually cloth) = Howling Banshees) as aspect warriors are khaine worshippers after all, but that doesn't seem quite satisfactory either. Not having the Dark Eldar Codex (and not wanting to buy yet another 3rd edition codex) I don't know if there are any good symbols there. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yeah, the dark elf book has shitloads of cool designs, they're basically just spiky glyphs.

For free hand, try painting the background colour something other than black, and instead of trying to paint freehand, get yourself a technical drawingpen (the STUPIDLY tiny ones) makes freehand a breeze

1 - 4 of 4 Posts