Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I thought it was a regional thing that there were so few Dark Eldar players, but the more I look at forums the more it becomes apparent that they are just extremly rare.

There was a chap that played them in our group who eventually became quite a nasty opponent to face, so I know its not because they are rap with a capital C.

So why do you think it is?

·
Banned
801 Posts
Because nOObs (not newbies) think that they're crap. The predominant exposure a new player recieves in their early life will be nOObs, so eventually all those people telling them that Dark Eldar are crap eventually rubs off on them. I believe the general idea is that if so many people believe something, it must be true.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
They haven't had a codex update in a dog's age, so it takes a bit more finesse to use them effectively. Doesn't mean they suck, just means Joe newbie may not know what they are doing enough to make it work...at least for a while till they get all the kinks worked out.

Most new players try out either Space Marines (actually half of the 40k sales goes to SM) and SM are a sturdy, forgiving, flexible force. Great for newbies to try out the system and get used to it...and deadly in the hands of the truly experienced.

Dark Elves...not as forgiving, not as flexible. The few folks that do play them tend to know what they are about (usually older, more experienced players anyhow), and can certainly reinforce that the DE are still a viable army.

It's unfortunate that they are so few and far between. I really hope they get a shiny new codex, new figs that knock our socks off, and the DE come back with a vengeance!

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
My prime army is Dark Eldar. I dont mean to gloat, but i think i am damn good with them.

From my vast experience, people simply think they are any army that is "too hard" to master. People also think the model are ugly. (The inucbi look so sweet! BUT NOT THAT CRAZY-HAIRED WARRIOR SPRUE!)

·
Links Manager
1,007 Posts
First of the old sculpts (some like incubi and haemonculi are
great though) and indeed the very steep learning curve and unforgivingness of the the army.

An other big thing (in my opinion anway) is lack of exposure, most gw stores
and independant stores no longer have dark eldar boxes on shelf, the previous
catelogue only had half of the avaible models in it. The previous starter had space
marines and dark eldar in it, so their was a much bigger chance that people would
pick up the dark eldar. And with a battle force on shelf there is also the much
higher chance of someone getting started with them.

Real shame though, they are still one of my favs armies both game and fluffwise.
Alongside chaos and orks of course :wink:

·
Registered
221 Posts
The DE are stuck in the 80s. Literally. Hair metal to the max.

Anyway, they require something called tactics to actually be successful. A lot of the new Tau kiddies don't have that. They just stick some big guns on the table and hope for the best. There is no room for error with a DE list.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
lol ohh so true, also at my local gaming store, i cannot find a single DE model.

hehe and about the SM being deadly in experienced hands, ive only being playing for 2 months with marines and im kickin ass. i think im pretty experienced, i play so often, 5 times a week or more. thats like 40 times on 2 months. i generally own up, and with my new tougher force well, what can i say, ive had 3 men hold up against a monolith, 2 heavy destroyers, 1 destroyer lord, 1 destroter and 20 men for 7 turns :D , i call that pretty damn tough!

·
Registered
954 Posts
The vast majority of the DE models really suck! I love DE and i really want an army of them. Background wise, colours and how the army works ie;- great Bs, and rubbish armour. But until DE get new models, i ain't buying any!

MarzM :mrgreen:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Bad models for the vets and too tricky for newbs too pick up and play.
Shame really as I really rate the codex Itself. :cry:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think Dark Eldar fail for all the reasons mentioned, but also because of the few ways they can be successful. I think this is also what plagues the Orks. There are not that many ways to build a "good" ork or DE list. They are a powerful force when all of their tricks are combined and their tactics are refined into a fine point, but outside of that, most players are looking at a massive time and money sink without the instant gratification of "ownage". Toss on the bad sculpts and 80's hair metal band feel and it's no wonder so few people have an interest. Most people want to be the "good guy", and even those who don't will look at Chaos or Tyranids as the better choice for playing a "bad guy".

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> The problems are, imho, and i have a DE army. Some ugly models, as has been said, the kiddies cant work them, poor marketing. GW release a new army, included in the boxset, give them a 25 page codex, no background, basically fuck all, then expect them to sell well. Then release Tau, and they get 2 codex in 4 yrs?
Why?, because the noobs love them cos they got good armour, and big shooty bang bangs. Pisses me right off the 2 dex's, when Orks have to wait 7+ yrs or so, bullshit. :x

·
Registered
954 Posts
Well first of all i'd like to say hi to dak! Hi! (waving) Congratulations on GT Dan! The Flobba Lobba Marine's done you well mate. Nice to see you also finally got a decent hair cut (lol).

No but really, your a good guy and great fun to play against ( even with the socks) and you took and army (even tho DP's are wrong) that wasn't the usual crap that turns up!

Congrats!

But back to the issue. I think ED are great, it is just the models are so shite. Oh and i agree, It is fucking disgraceful that Orks and DE have waited so long for a new codex, Almost all the other armies have had at least 2 codex's in the same period, and well the chao's codex gets a new edition every other bloody month!

Pish

MarzM :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Well, they are DE. They wouldnt have power armour.

As far as i can tell, no army has power armour except marines..(of any sort) :roll:

But incubi do have a 3+ save.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hudge said:
What firewolf said and when someone wants advice on who to use, no one says DE.
Honestly though, why would anyone suggest DE to a new player? If theya re looking for good models, DE is not the palce to go. If they are looking for an affordable army, DE is not the palce to go. If they are looking for a good easy army to learn to use, DE is not the place to go. About the only time I would suggest DE to a new player is if they said, "I want to start a 40k army that's hard to use, has an out of date codex and is hit and miss in the models department and is on the back end of ever having an update."

I don't think it's good policy for us to suggest DE to new players so that GW sales will go up and maybe in turn GW will do more for the army. It should work the other way around.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Exactly, I would never tell a newb to start with DE.Not just cos o the models, but they not easy to use, even for a vet.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts