Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been working this FAQ for Dark Eldar for another forum for awhile. I am not quite sure where to post it, so figured the rules area would be best.

This is a composition of rules questions related to the Dark Eldar and how we as players see them working. This is for new players and veterans alike.

Feel free to rip it apart and make suggestions.

This is the rough draft of what I think we want to post for new players and ourselves. Please review it, post to other sites for feedback or what have you. I posted it in the Project area, but feel free to allow others to see it in the main area.

Q: What is the Current Edition of the Dark Eldar Codex?
A: The 2nd printed edition DE codex is the current codex for 4th edition. Most copies have a Second Edition in white on the front cover with a Skull.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/billperkinsifa/Dark Eldar/DECodex2nded.jpg

Q: Can a Lord leave his retinue when taking the 12’’combat drugs?
A: No, the Lord is only able to leave a unit at the end of the movement phase. He can not leave a retinue. According to page 50 of the rulebook, "the combined unit moves and assaults at the speed of the slowest model while they stay together" - you can't benefit from 12" charge drugs while in a squad that doesn't have a 12" charge.

Q: Do you roll each Shadowfield separately, or all at one time?
A: According to the BGB Page 22 you roll all shooting dice together in one “volley”, it speeds up the game. So, you use the 2+ save until you fail versus a volley. Now if you fail 2 saves then that’s two wounds unless it is instant death.

P.24, 6th paragraph under "Armor Piercing Weapons:"
"...you begin by removing all models that do not get a Saving throw and then roll all other Saving throws together."

But, the reference to "volley" is something I use to help explain it.

Shooty = volley per squad
Assault = volley per Initiative

Q: Does an Archite receive her dodge save while riding a bike or a Hellion Skyboard?
A: No, this is covered in the updated codex rules.

Q: Are you able to take a Punisher on a Reaver Jet Bike?
A: No, the bike entry state you need one hand to steer the bike and therefore you are limited to one handed weapons only.

Q: Are the blaster and shredder single or two handed weapons?
A: Hmm, this is tricky. Some models have it one handed others two, so I'd say two handed myself since they look to be in a firing pose.

Q: Do the effects of the Horror-/Terrorfexes and that of the Xenospasm stack?
A: Yes, the DE FAQ stated that the Xenospasm effect’s stack. Yet you are only able to take one Xenospasm. Therefore we assume that GW was pointing out that all Fexes in general, as long as these are fired from the same squad stack. Additionally, as Pinning tests are taken at the end of a unit's shooting, there's only one test - so apply all modifiers from the wargear used from the same squad. However you can force multiple pinning test if fired from different units per the BGB pg 32.

Q: Does Lelith benefit from the dodge save?
A: The codex states she is a Wych lord. The updated codex states that a Wych lord receives a dodge save. Others have contacted GW about this and got the opposite answer. But opinions may differ because she is a special character. Ask your opponent beforehand.

Q: Does Lelith benefit from the Retinue’s drugs?
A: Yes, the tournament rules clarification claims that Lelith benefits from the same drugs as her squad although her name is misspelled.

Q: Does the Beastmaster receive a dodge save?
A: Open for debate, the updated faq states that all wyches get a dodge save. However a Beastmaster is not classified as a Wych in terms of codex rules. You would have to take the majority save anyways, so I think this is a moot point.

Q: My opponent has surrounded my Webway Portal. Does this mean I can’t bring out my reserves?
A: An opponent can not put a unit on the Web Way Portal. This should give you 3’’ at all times to deploy on. Skimmer units can fly over enemy troops since the new 4th edition rules. This means that only footslogging units can’t come out of the portal, also note that the Talos is technically not a skimmer and might fall into footslogger as well.

Q: Am I able to open my Web Way Portal when the carrier is pinned?
A: The rulebook states that a unit can not take ANY action if it is pinned.

Q: Does the Goblet of Spite work while assaulting vehicles?
A: This mainly comes up when trying to take down say a Monolith with haywire grenades. You are assaulting and nothing states that you do not hit on a 3+ just because the vehicle does not assault back. There is nothing that states the opposing model needs a WS. I have asked for tournament use, and it was perfectly acceptable.

Q: Does a fully surrounded Webway Portal still allow your reserves to enter play?
A: Note that it says in the FAQ you that you have to surround the portal, not park on it. Two campson this one and this is hotly contested, so ask before hand. However the vast majority of players believe that a skimmer can enter play because it is not blocked by enemy models, as a matter of fact you can fly over enemy units with Slave snares. Just be sure to end their move more than 1'' from the enemy. Page 70 of the rulebook: "Skimmers can always choose to move over enemy troops and this neither impedes their movement nor harms the troops below." Unless they have slave snares of course  Footslogging models can still be blocked by your opponent in this manner, and a Talos could be viewed as a footslogger since it is not really a skimmer.

Q: If a unit that entered the table through a WWP is forced to fall back, where does it go?
A: We are not sure on this point, several camps again and we have no official answer, so ask ahead of time. I think that since the WWP entry says it is treated as a piece of your board edge then the unit runs to the portal. If you come on the board that way, you should also leave by that route. If you started on the board then use the board edge to fall back to. Again, no official answer just trying to not gain any advantage by falling back forever and shooting the whole time Smiley

Q: Destructor - is it a unit or individual mini roll for the variable AP?
A: This is not clear at all. Some say roll for each model wounded to get the AP value for that model. Others say roll for each unit. Per the Wargear entry it says target, so ask ahead of time.

Q: Do Web Way Portals work both ways or only one way?
A: No rules back up a 2 way portal at this time. Obviously the technology could support it, but no game rules reflect this. However it would be nice to see since it is our board edge when using WWP’s. Per the Wargear entry and the FAQ it says you have to surround the WWP to block it, so it would seem that enemy models cannot be on it. The ruling from Tournaments I attend and GW staff at the local bunker say treat it as impassable terrain.

Q: Was the intention of classifying the Horrorfex as a defensive weapon mean it can be fired "in addition to, instead of" as per the Codex?
A: If the fex were not classified as a "defensive" weapon, you would not be able to fire it and a dark lance as you would be firing two main offensive weapons. Classifying it as "defensive" allows it to be fired in addition to a Dark Lance and a Disintegrator. If it was not classified as "defensive" you would not be able to fire it and another "main" weapon unless you moved less than 6".

The "defensive" classification allows it to be fired along with main weapons. At face value the classification would allow you to fire a lance, two sustained disintegrator salvos and the fex. The wrinkle comes with the addition of the "instead of" wording from the older codex which if taken at face value would require that you give up the shots of one of your other weapons.

What significance do the words "instead of" have? They probably are included as standard third edition wording based on the rules for firing from vehicles. The fourth edition rules made significant changes to how vehicles shoot. One argument is that the changes in the fourth edition shooting rules have made the words "instead of" obsolete as they are tied directly to third edition mechanics. The other argument is that "instead of" intends to require that one of your guns sacrifice its shooting before the fex can be used.

I am not sure which of the two is the better or correct interpretation, but would say that the more restrictive interpretation should be followed as a general rule of good sportsmanship. The interpretation that allows it to be fired with all the other weapons requires a small departure from the letter of the rule in favor of a very reasonable and probably correct inference that the wording is an unintended holdover from the change in editions.

I have used the Horrorfex in several tournaments and I cleared the use ahead of time. It was ruled the same every time that the FAQ overrides the Codex in terms of the “instead of” being replaced by defensive.

Q: How does an Agoniser work versus vehicles?
A: Roll to hit as stated in the rulebook. The hits caused by the Agoniser then roll to “wound” to cause a glancing hit on a roll of 6.

Q: Do I deploy my raider mounted units from raider base or can I do it from its hull?
A: Since the Raider is open topped it has access points everywhere. You may deploy from the hull anywhere within 2” while staying within unit coherency.
- You have to disembark within 2" of an access point.
- With an open-topped vehicle, the whole thing is considered an access point.
- You may disembark anywhere within 2" of the Raider's hull.

For the following 2 questions please refer to this quote:

The skyboard argument was ridiculed by Andy Hoare on the GW site over 3 years ago here's a copy:
[40k] Dark Eldar Characters on Skyboards - MOD-Jhorred(Jeff) Replies

* . This Reply Posted [10/13/2003 23:42].

Dark Eldar Independent Characters on Skyboards: can they Fleet of Foot? And, can they use the 12" charge combat drug?

Andy Hoare: I think a good dose of Common Sense(tm) is required here...no to both questions.

Q: Can you fleet of foot on a Skyboard?
A: Highly debatable. Hellions cannot per the codex, but Characters that take the Skyboard as wargear have no such limitations. The Skyboard is simply a jet pack, that’s it. By those rules then a character could. It is not fluffy but those are the only facts we have, but it is still hard to think that they hop off to fleet. So you could by the RAW deepstrike and fleet of foot. Be prepared to explain or hear cries of cheese or beardy.

Q: Can a character on a Hellion Skyboard use the 12” assault drug?
A: Reaver jet bikes are specifically worded as not allowing this combo, but the Skyboard is not. It is within the reading of the rules to allow it as they are only jump packs per the wargear entry. However let it be said that Hellions lost the ability to assault 12” and got crazed for the combat drugs, so the intention and fluff would dictate otherwise. RAW it is legal. Discussion have been raised about this issue, the codex stated that the Hellion Skyboard counts as a jump pack in terms of movement. There is nothing that stated you can not take the drugs. So you could use them when playing according to the rules.

Q: Can Slave Snares cause wounds in a close combat?
A: This is highly questionable, most are in the camp that you cannot. I could not find rules stating that you could. Some players believe that Raiders with slave snares may fly over close combat, causing wounds against the enemy locked in CC, and they can't do anything about it.

Q: Does the Talos get 2d6 for AP because it is a Monstrous Creature now?
A: No, the Talos has its own special rule for Armor Penetration. In the BGB it says all MC’s get 2d6 + Str unless they have their own rule, which the Talos does. So the Talos uses its own AP special rule for everything except against a Monolith. The Talos is nerfed in the Necron FAQ to be useless vs a Monolith.

Q: Is the Talos a skimmer?
A: No, it is a “floaty”. It does not benefit from only being hit on a 6, but it does gain the ability to move through terrain and cover by being a Skimmer and a Monstrous Creature. Also, in the back of the BGB, a Talos blocks line of sight. So by calling it a “floaty” we get our own special word from GW on how the Talos is different.

Q: Does Mindwar affect the Talos as it has no leadership value?
A: No, the talos is Fearless and silly Eldar mind tricks have no effect. In fact openly mock the Farseer who cast it on the Talos and say his soul is next on the menu.

Q: Can a Wych Drachite be taken in a Kabal force led by a Kabal Lord?
A: This is debatable, but no rules state you cannot and many players use both in tournaments. So the answer is yes you can take an Archon and a Dracite.

Q: When an army is led by Lelith Hesperax, the list of prohibited units is subtly different to the Wych Cult list. Archons are forbidden, but not Dracons. Does this allow a Wych Cult list with Incubi?
A: Yes, they do. If you take a Dracon you can take Incubi normally.

Q: Do Wych Weapons work both ways in a close combat, or just when opponents strike back? A HQ with retinue will strike at enemies with wych weapons as well as using wych weapons when struck at themselves. That is two units as the HQ is an IC, however both have Wych weapons.
A: Per the DE FAQ, it says that the unit locked with the Wyches and another unit(that does not have Wych Weapons) only has its WS halved for attacks against the Wyches and attacks from the Wyches. This tells me that they always halve the WS, regardless of another DE unit in cc with them. Although it has been said that it speeds the game up, but makes Wyches too uber.

Basically it says that the unit attacking the DE are only have their WS halved against the Wyches and in return when attacked by the Wyches, not any other DE unit. So if a squad of Marines attacks some DE Warriors with Wyches involved in the combat, then the Marines are still normal WS if they attack the warriors. But, if they choose to attack the Wyches they are effected half WS. The Wyches get the benefit both ways it seems despite the poor wording in the codex. So in my example the Wyches still hit on 3's even if the Marines attack the warriors.

It could be argued that if 2 units have Wych weapons it could work both ways regardless of the FAQ, but I think the FAQ says they work both ways regardless.

Q: What constitutes a modified Strength?
A: A power fist is an example of a modified strength. The Tyranid Codex specifically says that any strength increase for biomorphs is NOT a modification so a Tyrant can be Str 6 and immune to wych weapons.

Q: Can a unit that has the ability to deep strike such as Scourges or Raiders with Screaming Jets carry and deploy a Webway Portal the turn after they deep strike, as long as they haven't moved?
A: Assuming you live, yes but keep in mind some scenarios you cannot deep strike, and it would be turn 4 at the earliest reserves could come in.

Q: Can a Raider that has Torture Amps tank shock an opponent even if it moves over 12"?
A: Yes, you may move up to your 24” move and tank shock, but you cannot do anything else. Page 70 of the BGB states you may move up to your full movement.

Q: Can a Character who is carrying a Webway Portal stand still in the "movement" phase and not shoot in the "shooting" phase, make an assault move in the "assault" phase of the same turn after he opens the portal?
A: You cannot do anything but deploy the portal the turn you open it. The squad can shoot, but if the squad moves at all then you may not deploy the portal. You can take any action the following turns.

Q. Does the DE jetbike get the same assault move as the eldar bike?
A: Yes, as per the latest rules in the Wargear book. It has been ruled by every tournament I have been in to be legal.

Q: Do Necron gauss weapons wound Grotesques on a 6 even though they’re not S6?
A: Yes, this is covered in the Necron Codex Gauss entry. Only on a 6 however, one wound is taken. Models with multiple wounds are removed when the unit they are in has taken enough wounds to eliminate one whole model, regardless of whether the casualties were inflicted on different models. The owning player chooses which model falls casualty.

Q: Do sniper rifles wound Grotesques on a 4+ even though they’re not S6?
A: I'd say yes, per the BGB saying regardless of toughness. Howver, Grotesque have 2 wounds so they are only wounded. See above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,822 Posts
Q: Do you roll each Shadowfield separately, or all at one time?
A: According to the BGB Page 22 you roll all shooting dice together in one “volley”, it speeds up the game. So, you use the 2+ save until you fail versus a volley. Now if you fail 2 saves then that’s two wounds unless it is instant death.

P.24, 6th paragraph under "Armor Piercing Weapons:"
"...you begin by removing all models that do not get a Saving throw and then roll all other Saving throws together."

But, the reference to "volley" is something I use to help explain it.

Shooty = volley per squad
Assault = volley per Initiative

>>I disagree. While it does state that a squads shooting can all be done together, never says anything about saves. And the Shadow Field is unique in that it disappears after failing. So it makes a huge difference as to whether you fail the first roll or the last roll. If you roll all together, I would stipulate that Instakill have to be rolled separately.

Q: My opponent has surrounded my Webway Portal. Does this mean I can’t bring out my reserves?
A: An opponent can not put a unit on the Web Way Portal. This should give you 3’’ at all times to deploy on. Skimmer units can fly over enemy troops since the new 4th edition rules. This means that only footslogging units can’t come out of the portal, also note that the Talos is technically not a skimmer and might fall into footslogger as well.

>> Unfortunately, the GW DE FAQ disagrees with you.... It states that "if enemy models surround the portal, you cannot use it to enter the table". I agree with your reasoning about the skimmers but their FAQ is very specific. No exceptions for skimmers, jump troops, anything.

Q: Does the Goblet of Spite work while assaulting vehicles?
A: This mainly comes up when trying to take down say a Monolith with haywire grenades. You are assaulting and nothing states that you do not hit on a 3+ just because the vehicle does not assault back. There is nothing that states the opposing model needs a WS. I have asked for tournament use, and it was perfectly acceptable.

>> And I've seen the opposite answer in tournaments (US GTs). The GoS DOES state that it's only used in hth. And you can never be in hth with a vehicle that does not have a weapon skill. You can assault it, and you can attack it, and you can destroy it. But you are NEVER in hth with it.

Q: Does a fully surrounded Webway Portal still allow your reserves to enter play?
A: Note that it says in the FAQ you that you have to surround the portal, not park on it. Two campson this one and this is hotly contested, so ask before hand. However the vast majority of players believe that a skimmer can enter play because it is not blocked by enemy models, as a matter of fact you can fly over enemy units with Slave snares. Just be sure to end their move more than 1'' from the enemy. Page 70 of the rulebook: "Skimmers can always choose to move over enemy troops and this neither impedes their movement nor harms the troops below." Unless they have slave snares of course  Footslogging models can still be blocked by your opponent in this manner, and a Talos could be viewed as a footslogger since it is not really a skimmer.

>> See above reference to GW DE FAQ.

Q: Do Web Way Portals work both ways or only one way?
A: No rules back up a 2 way portal at this time. Obviously the technology could support it, but no game rules reflect this. However it would be nice to see since it is our board edge when using WWP’s. Per the Wargear entry and the FAQ it says you have to surround the WWP to block it, so it would seem that enemy models cannot be on it. The ruling from Tournaments I attend and GW staff at the local bunker say treat it as impassable terrain.

>>> Here's an interesting thought. Space Puppy Scouts can enter from your board edge. Can they use the portal?? Fluffwise, no, ruleswise, nothing stopping them.

Q: My opponent has surrounded my Web Way Portal. Does this mean I can’t bring out my reserves?
A: An opponent can not put a unit on the Web Way Portal. This should give you 3’’ at all times to deploy on. Skimmer units can fly over enemy troops since the new 4th edition rules. This means that only footslogging units can’t come out of the portal.

>> How many times are you going to include this same question......??


For the following 2 questions please refer to this quote:

The skyboard argument was ridiculed by Andy Hoare on the GW site over 3 years ago here's a copy:
[40k] Dark Eldar Characters on Skyboards - MOD-Jhorred(Jeff) Replies

* . This Reply Posted [10/13/2003 23:42].

Dark Eldar Independent Characters on Skyboards: can they Fleet of Foot? And, can they use the 12" charge combat drug?

Andy Hoare: I think a good dose of Common Sense(tm) is required here...no to both questions.

Q: Can you fleet of foot on a Skyboard?
A: Highly debatable. Hellions cannot per the codex, but Characters that take the Skyboard as wargear have no such limitations. The Skyboard is simply a jet pack, that’s it. By those rules then a character could. It is not fluffy but those are the only facts we have, but it is still hard to think that they hop off to fleet. So you could by the RAW deepstrike and fleet of foot. Be prepared to explain or hear cries of cheese or beardy.

Q: Can a character on a Hellion Skyboard use the 12” assault drug?
A: Reaver jet bikes are specifically worded as not allowing this combo, but the Skyboard is not. It is within the reading of the rules to allow it as they are only jump packs per the wargear entry. However let it be said that Hellions lost the ability to assault 12” and got crazed for the combat drugs, so the intention and fluff would dictate otherwise. RAW it is legal. Discussion have been raised about this issue, the codex stated that the Hellion Skyboard counts as a jump pack in terms of movement. There is nothing that stated you can not take the drugs. So you could use them when playing according to the rules.

>> Hurrah for Common Sense!!

Q: What constitutes a modified Strength?
A: A power fist is an example of a modified strength. The Tyranid Codex specifically says that any strength increase for biomorphs is NOT a modification so a Tyrant can be Str 6 and immune to wych weapons.

>>Disagree. Furious Charge would be a modified strength. A Power Fist is merely a weapon whose strength is based on 2xUsers Strength. It does not actually modify the models strength.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, I thank you for the responses.

don_mondo said:
Q: Do you roll each Shadowfield separately, or all at one time?
A: According to the BGB Page 22 you roll all shooting dice together in one “volley”, it speeds up the game. So, you use the 2+ save until you fail versus a volley. Now if you fail 2 saves then that’s two wounds unless it is instant death.

P.24, 6th paragraph under "Armor Piercing Weapons:"
"...you begin by removing all models that do not get a Saving throw and then roll all other Saving throws together."

But, the reference to "volley" is something I use to help explain it.

Shooty = volley per squad
Assault = volley per Initiative

>>I disagree. While it does state that a squads shooting can all be done together, never says anything about saves. And the Shadow Field is unique in that it disappears after failing. So it makes a huge difference as to whether you fail the first roll or the last roll. If you roll all together, I would stipulate that Instakill have to be rolled separately.

Per the torrent of Fire rules the Lord does not have to take a save if you do not wish him to. If enough hits are scored on the unit he is with then one wound can be singled out to him. By the reading of the rules on page 24 which I quoted above you remove any models within range that get no armor saves. Then roll armor saves together. If he is singled out for a save, then yes he gets one 2+ save and if it fails it is gone, you still get to pick which shot he saves against, he does not have to save versus the instakill if another option is available. However, if he is alone and can be singled out due to IC rules, then all the shots can be saved all at once. I agree that adding a second different colored dice for the instakill shot would be necessary. The saves are still the same at 2+ invulnerable save, if you fail more than one then those are wounds taken, unless it is the instakill shot in which case the Lord dies.

Q: My opponent has surrounded my Webway Portal. Does this mean I can’t bring out my reserves?
A: An opponent can not put a unit on the Web Way Portal. This should give you 3’’ at all times to deploy on. Skimmer units can fly over enemy troops since the new 4th edition rules. This means that only footslogging units can’t come out of the portal, also note that the Talos is technically not a skimmer and might fall into footslogger as well.

>> Unfortunately, the GW DE FAQ disagrees with you.... It states that "if enemy models surround the portal, you cannot use it to enter the table". I agree with your reasoning about the skimmers but their FAQ is very specific. No exceptions for skimmers, jump troops, anything.

Actually it is not specific enough, and that is the problem. If you read that one sentence alone then it appears you are correct. Reading the whole thing it also states that normal enemy proximity applies. Skimmers can move over enemy models. How can you block a skimmer from moving on from a table edge? It follows the normal rules, then skimmers not foot troops can still come on through the portal. Once more I'd like to state good luck getting the portal surrounded. But, you agree that you cannot park on top of the portal?

Q: Does the Goblet of Spite work while assaulting vehicles?
A: This mainly comes up when trying to take down say a Monolith with haywire grenades. You are assaulting and nothing states that you do not hit on a 3+ just because the vehicle does not assault back. There is nothing that states the opposing model needs a WS. I have asked for tournament use, and it was perfectly acceptable.

>> And I've seen the opposite answer in tournaments (US GTs). The GoS DOES state that it's only used in hth. And you can never be in hth with a vehicle that does not have a weapon skill. You can assault it, and you can attack it, and you can destroy it. But you are NEVER in hth with it.

It states very specifically that infantry can assault vehicles in the BGB. On page 70 of the BGB it states "Enemy troops can attack skimmers in the Assault Phase, as close combat takes in account close range shooting and grenade lobbing as well as actual hand to hand combat. I think its pretty clear there. YOU are in HtH with the vehicle, it is not in HtH with you I think is your point, but I think that is moot. If the vehicle does not have a WS then they are not locked. However they are still in an assault and all rules apply about hitting models which is what the GoS does. The GoS is a piece of wargear from before 4th edition assault rules, so it does say HtH, but clearly assault includes everything mentioned on page 70 that I quoted. Would you agree that a Death or Glory on a model using a Haywire grenade is valid? It is, so a model in a Unit with the Gos would hit on a 3+ reguardless of other factors. A few FAQ rulings have stated that unless they have a vow or other thing that makes them hit on a certain number. That is what the GoS does, and the wyches themselves are hit on a 3+ in return. I would like to hear the full reasoning behind an assault not being considered HtH for vehicles. The GoS is nigh worthless if this is not true. I hope clarifications in the new DE Codex clear it up either way. But, I always ask first

Q: Does a fully surrounded Webway Portal still allow your reserves to enter play?
A: Note that it says in the FAQ you that you have to surround the portal, not park on it. Two campson this one and this is hotly contested, so ask before hand. However the vast majority of players believe that a skimmer can enter play because it is not blocked by enemy models, as a matter of fact you can fly over enemy units with Slave snares. Just be sure to end their move more than 1'' from the enemy. Page 70 of the rulebook: "Skimmers can always choose to move over enemy troops and this neither impedes their movement nor harms the troops below." Unless they have slave snares of course  Footslogging models can still be blocked by your opponent in this manner, and a Talos could be viewed as a footslogger since it is not really a skimmer.

>> See above reference to GW DE FAQ.

I see it and disagree, but agree that 2 camps exist on the issue.

Q: Do Web Way Portals work both ways or only one way?
A: No rules back up a 2 way portal at this time. Obviously the technology could support it, but no game rules reflect this. However it would be nice to see since it is our board edge when using WWP’s. Per the Wargear entry and the FAQ it says you have to surround the WWP to block it, so it would seem that enemy models cannot be on it. The ruling from Tournaments I attend and GW staff at the local bunker say treat it as impassable terrain.

>>> Here's an interesting thought. Space Puppy Scouts can enter from your board edge. Can they use the portal?? Fluffwise, no, ruleswise, nothing stopping them.

We both know that scout puppies rules on entering from your board edge is rather outdated and broken. In the current reading of the rules they could choose to come through it, either portal or board edge. I have no problem with that. Fluffwise they could have followed the DE through.

Q: My opponent has surrounded my Web Way Portal. Does this mean I can’t bring out my reserves?
A: An opponent can not put a unit on the Web Way Portal. This should give you 3’’ at all times to deploy on. Skimmer units can fly over enemy troops since the new 4th edition rules. This means that only footslogging units can’t come out of the portal.

>> How many times are you going to include this same question......??

Heh, good call, think that is older, and I forgot to delete it.

Q: What constitutes a modified Strength?
A: A power fist is an example of a modified strength. The Tyranid Codex specifically says that any strength increase for biomorphs is NOT a modification so a Tyrant can be Str 6 and immune to wych weapons.

>>Disagree. Furious Charge would be a modified strength. A Power Fist is merely a weapon whose strength is based on 2xUsers Strength. It does not actually modify the models strength.
I really disagree with a powerfist not modifying the users strength. Take away the powerfist on a dreadnaught and it loses strength and attacks. Reading from the Tyranid Codex is states very specifically that a biomorph is NOT a modification. It does not say that anywhere in the Space Marine codex that I have. By your interpretation of the rules the fist just "enhances" their natural strength by doubling it. Um that is the very definition of modified. The tyrnaid is a bio organism so it is naturally just stronger, but a power fist is a mechanical glove that doubles the users strength.

In any case what you are saying is that Wych weapons effect all marines but powerfist users because they have an unmodified strength of 8. It does not have a strength of 8 in the profile for even Calgar who uses 2 powerfists. Even for a dreadnaught it says that if they lose the powerfists then they lose the strength boost, a Marine does before he loses the fist(rightfully so :p). So unless someone provides text like the Tyranid Codex entry, I won't say that we have 2 camps on this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,822 Posts
1. Shadow Field. My response was based on the Lord being alone, not in a squad. And I still say one at a time whether he's alone or not.

2. Warp Portal. It is specific enough, It says they cannot come in. Yes, it talks about the one inch bi5t, but the bottom line is that it says you cannot use it. Like I said above, I actually agree with your reasoning that a skimmer can fly out and over them. But..... GW says no.

3. Modified Strength. Sorry, I was involved in another thread elsewhere very close to this one regarding Power Fists and modified/unmodified strength (Monolith Living Meatl) and got a bit mixed up over what I was responding to. In your case, the WS would be halved as the PowerFist user's unmodified strength is less than 6, even tho the weapon strength is 8.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,602 Posts
Q: Are you able to take a Punisher on a Reaver Jet Bike?
A: No, the bike entry state you need one hand to steer the bike and therefore you are limited to one handed weapons only.

which bike entry? Does it say it in the de codex? as it doesn't say it in the rulebook under bike or jetbike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jigplums said:
Q: Are you able to take a Punisher on a Reaver Jet Bike?
A: No, the bike entry state you need one hand to steer the bike and therefore you are limited to one handed weapons only.

which bike entry? Does it say it in the de codex? as it doesn't say it in the rulebook under bike or jetbike
Page 14 of the DE codex RJB wargear entry says that a character riding a RJB can only be armed with single-handed weapons and they can only be used on at a time(they need the other hand to control the jetbike.)

A popular Lord on RJB has a power weapon, and tormentor helm for the extra attack. The power sword makes him Str 4, or 5 if he takes the combat drug +1 str. With combat drugs and shadowfield he is near his wargear limit meaning an Animus Vitae won't fit into the points, that would make him really uber.
 
Joined
·
29 Posts
The power sword makes him Str 4,
well its not actually the weapon, its the bike. otherwise wed be talking about a punisher.

1. shadow field. one at a time. the volley thing has nothing to do with armor saves. its about preventing people from guns in specific orders to destroy units. ex: having 3 heavy bolters and one lascannon in a dev squad. shoot at a dark eldar retinue with heavy bolters killing them all, now the lord is left, shoot lascannon ID him.

2. take out all the references to the same question on WWPs.

3. power fists do modify the strength. you dont need to worry about living metal, if you look at the FAQ youll notice the reprint of living metal no longer mentions 'unmodified strength." the simplest citation for it is look under the MC section of the BBoR. it talks about how a power fist augments strength (obviously this is now an inaccurate description of wraithlords, but what it says about power fists still stands). case closed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TheEmperor'sChampion said:
1. shadow field. one at a time. the volley thing has nothing to do with armor saves. its about preventing people from guns in specific orders to destroy units. ex: having 3 heavy bolters and one lascannon in a dev squad. shoot at a dark eldar retinue with heavy bolters killing them all, now the lord is left, shoot lascannon ID him.
We will have to disagree on this. The term volley is made up by me to help describe shooting per unit. The fact remains that the rules exist to make you take them all at the same time. It does say you shoot every weapon all at the same time using different colored dice, and you take saves all at the same time after you pull models that get no save. You take saves on each initiative step in CC as well.

The owner of the saving model can choose to make saves this way, and is supported by the BGB.
 
Joined
·
29 Posts
im not really sure arguing that the "volley" idea is the most persuasive argument. i think the shadow field is just improperly worded. but ive changed my mind. i was thinking about mixed armor saves. just how it explains allocating wounds then cycling through again. so it would be each 'set', as it says in mixed armor saves, would be rolled. and if one save was failed, the field would not be allowed in the next 'set'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TheEmperor'sChampion said:
im not really sure arguing that the "volley" idea is the most persuasive argument. i think the shadow field is just improperly worded. but ive changed my mind. i was thinking about mixed armor saves. just how it explains allocating wounds then cycling through again. so it would be each 'set', as it says in mixed armor saves, would be rolled. and if one save was failed, the field would not be allowed in the next 'set'.
We have to circumstances, the Lord alone and the Lord with Retinue. The Lord alone is handled as below:

Volley is just a term used to describe what you just said. Once the field is failed sure, its done. So, if you failed 2 saves versus bolters, but made the save versus the plasma, its two wounds, but you still get a 2+ save for all of them because they must be fired at the same time. Hence the term volley. If another unit then shoots you, you only get a normal armor save. In CC the volley is per initiative. It seems we agree but the term I used to help describe it is not in the rule book.

Lord with Retinue is shots are taken at the squad, if enough shots hit and wound every squad member then a shot CAN be allocated, most folks play that you must tell your opponent I want to see a save on that guy(squad leader or special weapon). This is the torrent of fire rule. If only a few wounds are made, then you Lord could never have to make a save, you could choose to however. You make armor saves as normal, pulling any that get no save, and then rolling majority saves for mixed armor. But, the bad news with mixed armor is for a dirty DE general with Incubi Retinue, the mixed armor is in favor of the player 3+ and the Lord with his dirty 2+ invulnerable fails it still gets a normal 3+ save due to mixed armor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Hope this isn't considered necromancy but as of the FAQ being updated some of your compiled answers contradict the new FAQ, namely the goblet of spite against vehicles and characters wielding punishers on jetbikes.

I would also like to ask some questions myself, such as

1. Do beastmasters roll for combat drugs as it says in the codex they use combat drugs like normal wyches but does not give you a chart.
2. Do wych lords deployed independently roll for combat drugs like regular wyches/ do the wychs drugs apply to them if they joined up with a unit of wyches? (or again do they roll seperately)
3. If a wych lord has a combat drug dispensor does it replace the squads combat drugs like a succubus?
4. When your playing a Wych cult list do warp beasts count as troop choices as well?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top