Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

General Rules

Splinter Weaponry: Unless noted otherwise, weapons with the Splinter rule count as S3 and have the poisoned (4+) rule

Warlord Table

1- Bringers of Darkness: The game automatically has the Night Fighting rules for turn 1, and on a 4+ roll the rule is in effect on turn 2 as well.
2- Toxic Menagerie: any Splinter weaponry the warlord or his unit possess needs one less on the die to wound (4+ becomes 3+), to a maximum of 2+.
3- King of Slavers: Any Independent Characters slain by the Warlord in a challenge are worth +1VP
4- Surgical Strike: One use only. Declare at the start of the player's turn. For that shooting phase, all cover saver taken against Darklight weapons are worsened
5- Wealth of Agony: The Warlord starts with two pain token. He can distribute them to other units as he sees fit, but no more than one an be given to a single unit.
6- Webway Ghosts: One use only. Once per game, at the start of the player's Movement phase, the Warlord and his unit can be removed from the table and must immediately re-enter anywhere on the board, using the normal rules for Deep Strike. This ability cannot be used if the Warlord or his unit is engaged in close combat.

Specific Changes

-Wyches/Bloodbrides: Dodge- The unnatural agility wyches display in battle confer a 5+ invulnerable save. This is improved to a 4+ in close combat.

-Raider: Gains the rule Piratical Assault- Models embarked on a Raider can disembark and charge after it has moved up to 12 inches in the movement phase. If the Raider has moved more than 6 inches, however, any charges performed after such a movement counts as a disordered charge.

-Incubi: Bloodstone- The baleful energies of a bloodstone can be used to keep entrenched enemies hiding in cover. A unit with a Lkaivex bearing a bloodstone can attack at normal Initiative when charging through cover or difficult terrain.

-Mandrakes: Mandrakes count as being armed with two close-combat weapons. In addition, their spectral natura allows for strikes that often bypass all but the heaviest armor. CC attacks that hit on a 6 are considered to be AP3.

Nightfiend: Mandrake units with a Nightfiend possess the Acute Senses rule.

-Wracks: Wrack units can select one Liquefier for each 4 models in the unit. They also have the Stubborn special rule.

-Hellions: Hellions posses the Jink special rule.

-Scourges: Scourges posses the Move Through Cover special rule.

-Talos Pain Engine, Cronos Parasite Engine: Gain the Fleet special rule.

-Razorwing Fighter, Voidraven Bomber: Gain the Vector Dancer rule.

Vehicle Upgrades

-Kinetic Matrix (10): Raiders and Venoms equipped with a matrix improve their Jink saves by one (4+ after moving, 3+ when moving flat-out).

Wargear:

-Splinter Cannon: Salvo 3/6

-Shredder (15): Range 18", Salvo 1/2. S6/AP4, Blast, Ignores Cover.

-Phantasm Grenade Launcher: Cost changed to 15 points.

Special Characters:

-Lelith Hesperax
The Penetrating Blade: Lelith's close-combat attacks are considered to be AP2. On a turn in which she charges, her attacks also have the Shred special rule.

-Kheradruakh, The Decapitator (155): Shade Stalker- When arriving from reserves, Kheradruakh can be placed in base contact with one, and no more than one, enemy model, which must be a character. Both models fight as normal in the assault phase using the rules of a Challenge, which cannot be refused. After the combat phase is over, he can test Initiative to disengage as if he possessed the Hit&Run rule.

-Lady Malys: Malys is considered to be a Psyker with a ML of 2. She can choose any one power in the Divination list, but can only use it once per game.

-Succubus: A Succubus can pick two options of close-combat weapons and divide her attacks between both as required, provided none of them are two-handed. Her list includes all wych weapons, plus Agonizers, Venom blades, Electrocorrosive whips and the Huskblade.

-Asdrubael Vect:
Dais of Destruction: Cost is changed to 170 points. The Dais can purchase upgrades from the vehicle wargear list normally.

-Court of the Achon
Sslyth: gains the rule Devoted Bodyguard- Archons can make Look Out Sir! rolls to shift one wound per combat phase to the Sslyth even while engaged in a challenge. The Sslyth must first succeed on an Initiative test in order to absorb the attack.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
A lot of things that I can see working, the Warlord Traits are very good, some slight tweaking might be required (wordage mainly).

+1

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
A lot of this looks good.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Great stuff here! Nothing useless, nothing too strong. Maybe some wording to rewrite (cheesy players are some noisy bunch) and yes, "ancient doom" for me too. They are eldar nonetheless.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice work, one can really tell you love Dark Eldars. :)

Some of the rules are op unfortunately..
S3 poison weapons... Big no (reroll to wound vs most armies with splinter cannons:shok:).
My impression is that quite a few of the other rules could need either a points balancing by increased cost, or other negative balancing rules as many imo seems to be just buffs that put together would make DE too good without anything to balance their buffs.
Dont get me wrong I like most of the ideas it just seems ott to me atm. :(

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
S3 poison weapons... Big no (reroll to wound vs most armies with splinter cannons).
I didn't noticed that. But i should point out that it would be reroll only vs 3 armies at best. beside that, i agree, too powerful.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice work, one can really tell you love Dark Eldars. :)

Some of the rules are op unfortunately..
S3 poison weapons... Big no (reroll to wound vs most armies with splinter cannons:shok:).
My impression is that quite a few of the other rules could need either a points balancing by increased cost, or other negative balancing rules as many imo seems to be just buffs that put together would make DE too good without anything to balance their buffs.
Dont get me wrong I like most of the ideas it just seems ott to me atm. :(
No other army has to roll 4+ to wound T3 chaff. Well, IG does, but they make up for it by having tons of tanks, artillery and bodies. DE has none of those things.
Of all the armies that get affected by this change, Tyranids have the bodies to compensate, Tau still get 4+ armor, and IG has numbers and transports, and possinly Azrael giving them a 4++.

I know it's a strong change, but I believe regular Eldar's semi-rending is far more powerful.

As for no balancing the buffs, I felt that having no durable scoring troops, flying paper planes that are easily glanced to death by bolters, having no psyker defence, being mowed by overwatch and being neither an elite force nor a horde one balance everything quite nicely. :good:

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Now this is not a dig, but I'm going to share some feedback I got from Phil Kelly regarding buffing stuff (I was proposing buffing Celestians, but the principle remains the same):

...one thing I would caution is think with your 'games master' brain rather than your 'player' brain, or your enthusiasm may lead to subjective decision making. We all want our favourite army to be 15% cooler but it might work to the detriment of the thing if we over-egg the pudding too much in the process and end up swinging the pendulum the other way.
Now for my personal opinion: Dark Eldar roll a 4+ against chaff infantry because they negate high toughness infantry. At least that's always been my assumption that it's to balance out how well they murder everything else.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No other army has to roll 4+ to wound T3 chaff. Well, IG does, but they make up for it by having tons of tanks, artillery and bodies. DE has none of those things.
Of all the armies that get affected by this change, Tyranids have the bodies to compensate, Tau still get 4+ armor, and IG has numbers and transports, and possinly Azrael giving them a 4++.

I know it's a strong change, but I believe regular Eldar's semi-rending is far more powerful.

As for no balancing the buffs, I felt that having no durable scoring troops, flying paper planes that are easily glanced to death by bolters, having no psyker defence, being mowed by overwatch and being neither an elite force nor a horde one balance everything quite nicely. :good:
Dark Eldar have the uniqueness of being able to hurt anything on 4+ including Wraithknights with almost every shooting option they have.
Increasing their wounds inflicted by 33% vs Chaos Daemons, Chaos Space Marines(cultists), Dark Eldar, Grey Knights (acolytes), Imperial Guard, Sisters of Battle, Tau, Tyranid is a rather extreme buff.
Just because other races have basic weapons that are better doesn't warrant a buff.

As for paper planes and lack of psychic protection, DE are not worst of there, their planes have access to Flickerfields and Night Shields and even an Av 11 flyer, something neither Eldar nor Orks have.
They can ally with Eldar to take a Farseer which is better protection than most armies get.

Now I do agree that certain aspects of the Dark Eldar army needs a redo.
Here are some ideas that I think could be interesting and that enhances durability some without being to game breaking:
Kabalites have Sv 4+
Ghost Plate Sv 3+ / 5++
Hekatrix/Wyches/Hellions/Beastmasters Sv 6+/ 5++ (dropping the limited 4++ From wyches)

Shredder: add Monofilament, Pinning
Bloodstone: add Pinning

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a solid point, but I still think it's not a big deal. Eldar get no downside over rending stuff left and right with shuriken weaponry, so I don't see the need to balance splinter weaponry. No one else does that, in fact. Necrons don't get AP- gauss wepons just because it can glance every vehicle in the game.

For paper planes, I was not meaning the flyers, but the other transports! I still forget that 40K gets -actual- planes in play now. A big issue with DE right now in my view is that exploding vehicles are responsible for almost 50% of my casualties because oodles of my guys get wounded on 3+, miss their terrible saves, and then usually get pinned.

I like the idea of improving DE armor....but at the same time, I fear it might make them get too similar to regular eldar.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I think one of the bigger things that I would like to see fixed is for open topped transports to only be S3 explosions.

·
Registered
118 Posts
yeah agree on the open top explosion being to high S, hurts orks as well who also have AV 10 vehicles, only other race with common open topped transports are Necrons but they have both good T and SV and resurrection.

Had some ideas for Mandrakes:
Give them 3 attacks base
add Daemon rule
Can only be joined by Mandrake IC
Ability that adds 1 pain token per turn (max 3?)
ability that lets them burn a pain token to add ability to all attacks for 1 phase.
abilities could be - +1S per Pain Token used, Rending, Ignore cover or something else?

Decapitator can start game joined to a mandrake squad
Lose Stealth - Add Shrouded.
Have 4++
Hunter of Heads add +1vp if Decapitator kills target enemy IC.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most Shuriken weapons are shorter range than Splinter weapons.

Necron gauss weapons are good against vehicles (only thanks to Hull Points), but aren't better against troops than a standard bolter.
Add in Eldar more-shoot-run dance and their range imrpoves. Also, they are usually assault rather than Rapid Fire, and enjoy easy psyker support for twin-linking and wounding, making their pseudo-rend far more useful.

Gauss weapons are good against vehicles. Hull points are a thing now, so I don't get why you qualify that statement. A squad armed with gauus weapons is a threat to everything on the board that is not a flyer (and sometimes even that), not requiring spending extra points to get melta or armorbane or high S to pierce AV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts