Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and guess this is a welcome back after a while away from the painting and gaming world. (Real Life moves and lack of internet).

I have decided to collect Dark Eldar after reading their history and fluff in the codex recently. I have attached a few photos of the WIP that is what is becoming a huge force already (around 2500 pts of models that are being or have been assembled and undercoated for the Monthly painting challenge).

Anyway enough of the chat here are the pictures.

WIP Archon.

Still got the base and few little things to do on it but almost complete.

WIP Archon from the back.

First attempt at cloaks, hope you guys like.

WIP Lhamaean.

Gemstones and base to be completed.
Will get a decent photo of her eyes with the green in them.

WIP Incubi 1 of 5 to be done.

Still got the golden brass, blade, spikes and decorations and gems.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I like those. The edge highlighting is sharp, but not so sharp that it starts to detract from the model. I really like the smoothness of the paint on the Incubi's helmet as well as the hint of osl that I see around his eyes. Gems look good too as does the rusted metal. I shall be following this plog, well done.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jake,

Thank you for your kind words.

Ok after getting some decent light on a camera, I decided to show a little more of my work off.

Lhamaean Face close up.
(Apologies for the camera as it is off a iphone 4S on max zoom, so I think it makes it look a little grainy.)

The first of 4 Raiders to start off with. There is a little work still to be done but seeing her flying across the battlefield is an awesome sight so far.

Raider 1 Front

Raider 1 Port

Raider 1 Starboard

The sail symbol is to represent the Kabal Poisoned Vines. This is going to be the symbol I will attempt to recreate on each of the sails and banners on all Raiders and Ravagers.

Raider 1 Front Freehand

I attempted some freehand for the first time on the Dark Lance armour holding and it is to represent the Poisoned Vines.

Note that I am using the Wyches helmets for some if not all my transport in this force.

Finally I know that is not complete as there is some more edging and then finally more freehand to go on the front and side hull but nothing over the top to ruin the vehicle itself.

Hope you like the work so far. Can't wait for the painting challenge to begin now.

Craig.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
The Lhamaean close up really shows the detail you've achieved on the face. The skin is creepily pale (in a good way) and the eyes are spot on. Nice job on the freehand also.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Jake,

Fully appreciate comments, means a lot that I can produce some decent painting for once in my life and let others enjoy it.

Following on from a quick break from painting Wyches for March Painting Challenge

Here is my continuing work on my First Razorwing Jetfighter and Venom

First of all the Razorwing Jetfighter.

Now the Venom.

Attempting some freehand symbols and writing for the first time in my painting advancement.

I promise I will have some fully finished miniatures by the time March comes to an end.

Zero Effect

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Hey mate, these are looking really good. My only comment is, I don't know if it's just me and my painting stye but these minis look too clean! Some weathering and a bit of damage would make them look better, but that's just in my opinion :)

great work nevertheless

Rev

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey mate, these are looking really good. My only comment is, I don't know if it's just me and my painting stye but these minis look too clean! Some weathering and a bit of damage would make them look better, but that's just in my opinion :)

great work nevertheless

Rev
Rev,

Thank you for your words. I could say this is a new and rising Kabal House, but then again never take a Dark Eldar word for it.

Honestly it is one of the skills (weathering and damage) I have yet to attempt. I will be looking at this skill over time as the Kabal progresses.

Thanks again

Those vehicles, particularly the raider, are excellent. The purple is very smooth and even, and the green spot colour really stands out against the purple. The free hand worked out really well. Looking forward to seeing more.
Cheers Khorne's

Zero Effect

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Like the purple scheme man.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like the purple scheme man.
Midge, thanks for your compliment. Loving your work too.

UPDATE:

Considering the speed of my painting and there is still 11 days to go my first Wych cult is gathering more tortured souls.

Just showing you how they are coming along. 5 Wyches are almost complete. Little details as the eyes, hair and cloth pieces as well as the trophies on the Hekatrix. If time permits at the end of the month with the full cult completed, I may attempt some facial tattoos (I do not promise this though).

Enough words for now here you go

Zero Effect

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really like the pale flesh tone syour using for your DE, gives them that appearance that they come from a dark-cold place and the bases suits them well.

Good job!

Regards,
DoE
DoE,

Thank you for your kind words.

Now for a much needed UPDATE!!!!

I am currently working on my Army Painting Challenge for April, which is a Ravager.

Whilst there is a lot more edging and highlighting to be done, I thought that I would show some WIP pictures to stir the emotions and more importantly for the Dark Kin, souls.

Enough waffling, here they are;

Zero Effect

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Looks very promising. You managed to get some smooth, unstreaked coats on the armorplates. That in it's own right is no small feat, so I'm pretty sure this will come out just fine.

I really like the overall scheme as well btw. Very good choice to go for the snowy bases with this palette. It really makes the models pop.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really like the Ravager. When doing my Ulthwé I'm really running into a hard time with the edging on the armor, do you have any advice on edging armor?
I always get real clumpy results :(
Rameses, I am more than willing to share my results. I am honoured to be able to share these.

There are several ways to achieve lines

First is using a flat edge brush and paint either side and in the groove and into it and then using your base colour paint in the groove leaving you with edging either side.

Secondly and this the one I use is holding the model with one hand and using that forearm and wrist as support using the detail or fine detail brush to paint either side of the groove. Patience is the key and do not rush it.

For the Ravager it took me around 40mins to an hour to do all the edging.

Either technique requires the paint to be slightly watered down as per any GW paint. Also make sure your brush is slightly wet. This allows the paint to be applied in a smoother manner

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your compliment.

Zero Effect

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE!!!!

First of all my April's entry in the Monthly painting challenge has been completed - Ravager

Here they are:-

Free hand on the banner and the starboard panel. With the 3 sections on the sail, I decided to add the Kabal of the Poisoned Vines on the panel and then painted some symbols or writing on the sail itself.

More pictures now. This is a update to the completed part of the Kabal.

So far fully painted are:-
1 Archon
10 Wyches
1 Raider
1 Ravager

WIP
1 Succubus
10 Kabalite Warriors
1 Venom
1 Razorwing Jetfighter

Usual C and C welcome.
Zero Effect