Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to 40k and I just picked dark eldar as my army, got a codex already. I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on what troops to order and some tactical advice. thanks:)

·
Registered
905 Posts
wow, DE as first army. Im not an expert so im not gonna give much advice. Just remember this. DE are fragile and jumpy. Raiders are good. Combat Drugs are good. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd do almost exactly what my bro does (DE was his first serious army too, and he's a damned good player):

-an Archon on foot with Agoniser, Combat Drugs, Shadow Field, Plasma/Haywire Grenades, and one or two little useful things.
-in larger games, a unit of 9 Wches with a Succubus with Agoniser, all with Wych weapons and a Raider as a retinue for the Lord
-avoid Hellions and Scourges like the plague, Scourges take up valuable Ravager and Talos space
-take a Talos
-take a Ravager with 3 discintergrators (and a Night Shield if you've got enough points)
-for troops, either 2 units of 10 warriors on foot with 2 Dark Lances each, or 2 Raider squads with a pair of balsters and Sybarite with Agnoiser each

If this doesn't help, then not many ogther things will.

psychomidget99

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dark Eldar warriors seem like they suck but have high weapon skill ballistic skill and Init. Get plenty of these. You can make them walk or go in a raider. Raider squads are realitively cheap and will sneak up on specialized units and average units or kill bigger stuff when combined with other squads(wyches,other warriors, lord,incubi). Raiders will get blown up really fast so get them to take people where they need to go as soon as possible. Keep moving with vehicles - - actually that rule of thumb applies to the whole army. In most games you will want to have at LEAST 2 squads of ten with just dark lances they're cheap and they pwn things. Since you're new let me say that scourages, the strength 6 blast no AP guns , soul seeking upgrade, and wyches on foot will pretty much always suck, they just suck that all I have to say. Mandrakes are iffy but some people like them because they muck up shooty squads. Scourages suck because they hoard point that can be used for the much more effective Ravangers which are the better choice, max out the disintegrators. Most of the vehicle upgrades aren't that important. Taloses are just sick brutal d6 strength 7 WS 4 attacks with 3+ save and three wounds but are very slow compared to everything else. They achieve the job of distracting and absorbing shots though. Another thing to remember is to not underestimate what a warrior or raider squad can do, their sybarite can get anything a lord can - - just keep that in mind.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Actually, Talos' aren't slow at all. They're skimmers, despite not having an Armour Value! So that's 12" a turn, out of sight, then next turn jump out of a forrest and BAM!Unfortunately, even the average Str 4 troop can wound it on 6's, so don't go for heroic last stands.

psychomidget99

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, I'm not entirely sure how helpful this will be but...

I can't really recommend troop choices or the like, but I'd recommend patience. Dark Eldar are acknowledged on all forums as being sadistically difficult to learn and play, with even the slightest costing you big time. I believe that alot of players therefore get frustrated with this fragile army and give up on them.

In the hands of a patient player, who has really taken the time to learn how his army functions however, this army is just apparently just disgusting.

·
Registered
220 Posts
what!! :shok: I knew they were skimmers but they're not vehicles or anything. Are sure they move 12, because if they do that makes them just as fast as anything else. (well, that was a complete lie but they still move fast) That makes them loads better, there is no way that is true.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually it classifies the talos as a monstrous creature in the rule book so it can only move 6"

·
Registered
220 Posts
actually it classifies the talos as a monstrous creature in the rule book so it can only move 6"
I've always wondered do the rules of monstrous creatures for armour penetration also apply to the talos besides the extra bonus of the talos claws (+1 to dice rolls for each hit after the first). There is nothing that says it replaces those rules and there is no reason to hold back because it is cheap.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Dark Eldar aren't really that difficult to learn or play as. They are very much a "point-and-click" army. You see something you want to kill so you send all of your Raiders and or Dark Lances at it.

A couple pointers tho:

Incubi are gods in combat. Archon with Agoniser, Combat drugs, Shadow Field and Tormentor Helm along with 5 Incubi and maybe even Drazhar. Assault anything but a tank or maybe MC and it will die very very fast.

Keep wytches in a WWP otherwise you might as well put a giant "shoot me" sign on they're Raider. (you may want to do this with your archon and bodyguard as well)

Sniper Squads are your friends.

If you are using WWP give them to your Haemies accompanied with a 12-16 man warriors unit and slog it to where you wanna be.

Reavers/Hellions/Mandrakes/Scourges/and now Grotesques....suck:p

Theres really only two effective lists to use: WWP army or Gunboat army.

Anymore questions then just ask.

:mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts