Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have decided that I want a new army and I really like Dark Eldar so even though I love orks and want to build a ork army. I have made a promise to myself that I will not touch any ork stuff till I build this army.

I want a competitive army but need ideas of what is good to put in a current DE army.

I was thinking a all foot troops army with dark lances in all the squads, 3 talos, and raiders and ravagers with dark lances. The other thought was all speed with jet bikers and raiders but after looking at some army list I have not seen anything like that people are talking about jetfighters, voidraven bombers, & venoms.

So can anyone help an old ork out that wants to down the path of evil.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Unfortunately, dark eldar are fragile enough that an all foot army would likely splatter as fast as you can place it on the table. Hence the reliance on venoms full of blasterborn for bucketloads of poisoned shots to have a competitive army, as I understand it...

·
Registered
275 Posts
how many points are you looking at? i have an old 2k list, but it lacks antiair.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking around 2K in points for this army. I am use to fragile troops but I am also use to having a ton of them as well.

I guess what I am wanting is someone familiar with DE to kind of explain what works with DE now the units to take and the ones to avoid because reading the codex I have the " I want one of every unit" in my army.

·
Registered
602 Posts
depends on what your after, and each unit has its ups and downs, though some people will always run away from some units, some people just have uncanny luck with some styles too.

back in 5th I liked to run a 9 strong Wych squad with an attached Homonculi to give them feel no pain, in a raider, and you just watch the enemies face in horror when you tar pit their unit with their special 4+ invul in CC, and then the FNP after that. add to your luck with the combat drugs, which, though not all of them are amazing, some of them are really interesting to get, +1 str, +1 pain token for examples.

if you want to go heavy shots, run 5 man warrior squads with a blaster in venoms. you get many vehicle targets for your enemies to have to pick and choose which targets they are going to have to aim for first, and you get the same amount of poison shots in close range, but a lot more at range 36 with the venom, which wont be snap shots, and for the cost being 40 points more and the lack of a dark lance, to bring 10 warriors with a blaster in a raider, and that is not including ANY upgrades on the raider. the warriors in venoms are a much easier choice.

Obviously you will want to bring some Voidraven bombers or razorwing jetfighters, if your going competitive, since they are the only thing we have that can deal with flyers really. both have their ups and downs as to which one is better. The razorwing is the one with a model currently.

you can run the jetbikes, in groups of 3 6 or 9, depending on your preference. which still can fire and move 6 in their assault phase back to cover ground, or possibly even LoS of their target if they fail, and they can take heat lances to give them a possible melta - meta.

You can run Scourge in groups of 5 or 10 and take two haywire blasters. on their own they do not seem like much, but when you hit with the blasters you can almost always glance, and if you somehow shoot at armor 10 and roll a 6, you can still glance with the initial attack of the blaster, causing multiple glance pings. but with their cost being the same as the bikes, most prefer the bikes.

Incubi, are a very nice unit to use in combination with wyches, throw the wyches at an enemy first, make them shoot the wyches, then charge the incubi in, thus ensuring their safety from overwatch, even if the unit itsself will be targeted more in the combat itsself, the fact the Incubi have such a high Initiative and their weapons are AP2 (see FAQ) they can easily slice through most everything with ease.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I'm not a veteran DE player, but still, I think I can help yu a bit:
the most competitive list out there are comprised by

-An archon (loaded with huskblade, soultrap, shadowfield, maybe drugs)
- 2-4 small teams of trueborns with blasters riding into
-venom (lots of venoms)

-two mandatory 5 man warrior squad with splinter cannon riding into
-venom
OR
-two 10 man warrior squad with dark lance riding into
-raider

-an incubi unit riding into
-venom

-a witch unit riding into
-raider

-units of 3 jetbikes with blaster

-a Jetfighter for antiair

-2 Ravagers

This is the most basic list and effective I could sort out from various net liss and tactical advices.

It is costly moneywse due to the high number of vehicles. An imo, it is not so funny. but thats just me.

I've seen Skari using with huge success a list like this:

-Archon (venom blade, drugs, shadowfield) with
-incubi riding into
-venom

-1 or 2 units of 5 witches with haywyre grandes into
-venom

-a big warrior unit with a
-Farseer (ally)

-10 warriors with splintcan into a
-rider

-5 scourges armed as you feel fit (haywyre blasters can be ok)

-3 Eldar jetbikes (ally)

-6 DE jetbikes with 2 blasters

-1 ravager

-1 Jetfighter

This said there is some sort of consensus in stating that the Witch cult units (witches, bikers, sourges, hellions) are somewath bland in competitiveness and the Coven units (wracks, grotesques and the 2 pain engines) are just not competitive: fun as hell to play but not so good.

A nasty (no tourney, mind you) DE list should, for me at least be comprised by:

-transport for all. not for cheese but for mobility. if you stroll, you die. it's simple, really. (but i'll be back on this later)

-a beatstick HQ, cheap as possible
-a small elite cc unit to support him

-a couple of small unit of antitank (blasterborn or haywitches)

-a couple of shooty warrior units in raiders or a big 15-20 man warrior unit on foot with a farseer

-ravagers and jetfighters. you nedd to fill the Heavy support slot. it is almost mandatory,imo, that you do that. I suggest a couple of you favourite heavy (say ravagers) supported by 1 of your second favourite (say a talos). i'm not keen on three different units. If you use allies you could find useful to place one of the new Eldar shiny.

-some fast as hell units to contest, give headaches and in general fuck the enemy battleplan (hellions, but meh, better scourges and jetbikes and if you use allies the Eldar jetbikes)

Then, about your wishes of a full foot army:
you can do that. but you should (must) use webway portals. so the list would be

2 homunculus
liquefier gun
webway portal

2 x 4 Wracks

2 venoms

1 raider w/shockprow
10 witches
hekatrix with venomblade

1 Ravager

(They are the first deployed units. They zip forward and drop the portals)

2 talos

3 x 4 trueborns with blasters

1 x 10 witches with hekatrix and venomblade

1 x 10 warriors with splinter cannon

3 x 3 jetbikes with blasters

(these units will be popping out of the portals, shooting and bladevaning the hell out of the enemy at close quarter and next turn, if you fell kinky, assaulting it!)

2 jetfighters
(antiair, general flying distress for the enemy)

This list is no tourney-winner but will catch some players out of balance with such an aggressive shooty behaviour. it has potentially any target area covered with lots of blasters and some darklances for antitank, a zillion of antiinfantry shots and a good antiair department.

Dunno about the points but with some tweaks you should get 2000.

Never forget the true strenght of DE: hit fast, hit hard and then move away.
Hope it helps, cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you both for the replies that does help a lot.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Wyches are crap. Kabalites are so much better, Wyches are never worth it. 3+ units of Kabalites in Raiders, or 2+ units in Raiders and 2+ units in Venoms with Blasters. Elites is Trueborn with Blasters in Venoms, or Incubi to accompany an Archon in a Venom if you're really desperate to engage in melee. HQ is Duke Sliscus or a Haemonculus - you can take Baron Sathonyx if you have a big old unit of Hellions to make the most of him, but generally you'll want Duke (why? He's an Archon, but better, essentially. The only thing he's lacking is a Blaster).

Fast Attack is Reaver Jetbikes, all day every day (they're absolutely wtf amazing), unless you're running some kind of crazy Beastmaster list (which can work, but you have to give up Reavers which rock the world). Heavy Support is Ravagers and Razorwings.

Take a shitload of Kabalites in Raiders and Venoms with Blasters/Splinter Cannons, Trueborn with Blasters in Venoms, Reavers, and Ravagers/Razorwings. Haemonculus HQ to keep it cheap or if you want to run token units of 3-5 Wracks to maximise Venoms/score in the backfield respectively, Duke if you want to get something out of your HQ slot. Raiders get Splinter Racks, Venoms get additional Splinter Cannons, Razorwings get Flickerfields. If you have points left, give everything Night Shields (seriously, it's really frickin' good). Flavour with Hellions, Baron, Beastmasters and Incubi if you like stabby.

At least, that's my opinion.

Midnight

·
Registered
275 Posts
2 archon with haywires and blasters.
4 trueborns with 4 blasters in a venom with 2 splintercannons. X4
5 warriors in a venom with 2 splintercannnons. X6
3 ravagers with 3 lances.

You'll have about 182 points leftover. So far you have
9 lances, 18 blasters.
20 splintercannons, 30 splinterrifles.
Add/drop what you want/need for your.area.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Keep in mind 5 wytches with haywires in a venom is absolutely ridiculous AA, for cheap. As far as a combat melee unit, they aren't as good in 6th as they once were.

Also warriors with a cannon in a raider with splinter racks is extremely effective. A hidden use for this unit is taking twin linked snap shots at fmc on the move to force grounding tests.

Duke is a trap. Deep striking your units means no t1 alpha strike, contraband is only worth it if you have alot of wytches (no) or reavers (it could work). Or a big trueborn unit (fire magnet).

The army relies on its speed and transports, so footslogging is generally not a good move.

Voidraven is the best AA we've got. I suggest 2 ravagers + flier. Or if you have a bunch of blasterborn you could probably get away with 1 ravager 2 fliers.

Incubi are fantastic. 4 in a venom with a husk blade archon is a great counter attack unit that'll chop through almost anything. If you tag your archon with incubi, you're going to have to pay the for the phantasm grenade launcher, however.

As mentioned, reavers are fantastic. Always use at least 1 squad of 6.

Use night vision + pre measuring to your advantage since 40% of games in 6th start with night fight up. Always try for 1st turn. Always keep your vehicles moving for the jink save. Only buy flicker fields for your fliers so they never have to evade.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
After playing a bunch of games today, I'd like to advocate Reavers again. They're absolutely shit-amazing. Just scream around the battlefield at 50" per turn with the volume turned to 11 and your bladevanes sharpened. I ran a unit of 6 with 2 sets of Cluster Caltrops and the amount of damage they can wreak is insane.

Midnight

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you everyone this is a lot of good information that I needed. Venoms it shall be now I just have to figure out a cool way to convert them to make them look bad ass. I am going to try and make this a completely custom army.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts