Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Come on man, they have been doing this for untold millenia; I'm sure they simply are so imbued with murder and deciet that it is just part of the culture. When the Eldar first started debauchery, they grew use to it. When it became acceptable in Eldar society, it then became rampant.
Of course it is their culture, I never said otherwise. What I was saying is based on this quote:

"The scions of the Dark City would never admit that the unceasing hunger at their core is what drives them to such heights of cruelty. Instead they maintain that they act only upon their own desires. Some have even managed to convince themselves of this. In truth, unless our cousins in the Webway feed upon a constant diet of extreme emotion they will slowly wither away, leaving naught but a soulless husk. We of the Craftworlds deny all such urges, and in doing so become less than ourselves. Perhaps it is those that we left to perish who are the lucky ones." - Spiritseer Iyanna Arienal, Meditations.

After thousands of years of being rampant Slaanesh comes hunting for hungry souls. So what do the Dark Kin do.....they contiue their debauchery to such a level Slaanesh wants nothing to do with them in their Webway hideout. Thus it became culture, culture became norm, and you have the Dark Eldar. Really quite simply really.
But, of course, that is false. Slaanesh is still very much interested in the Dark Kin and consumes their souls just as she does the souls of the other Eldar factions.

After reading up on some of the dusty Eldar history I find two things that should be mentioned here. As far as their ancient History the Farseer position seems to be not be mentioned, leading me to beleive that it was only recently created when the Exodite and Craftworld Eldar split off from their parent race who later became the Dark Eldar.
Yes, that seems to be the case. Though psykers and seers of similar position and power would have inevitably existed before the path-system was introduced.

The Farseers, as far as I can see, have never dealth with the Dark Eldar as freinds or allies. This is not to say it has not happened but that no Lexicanum or Fluff lore I have read can sup[port this idea.
There are numerous examples of cooperation and alliances between the Dark Kin and other Eldar factions. Most recently, a Dark Eldar Kabal saved Iyanden from destruction because they found the Craftworld's "angst-ridden forays into the world of necromancy extremely entertaining".

As far as the Dark Eldar are concerned they seem to have precious few psychic's among them. I am still reading much of the DE fluff but, compared to their Eldar cousin's which are whoring them, they are few and far between. Additionally many of the DE tend to be women, not men. All the talk of Wych and female Haemonculi polluter the De history books. Therefore, since some of the strongest Farseer's I've ever heard of are female, it can only lead me to conclude two things. First that Dark Eldar have moved beyond the psychic realm IOT avoid Slaanesh and keep their depravity at an all-time high; as their ancestors did before them. Secondly, that the few psychic's within their society tend to become warriors who's martial prowness if more of the focus than their latent psyker abilties.
The Dark Eldar Codex explicitly states that: "...the innate psychic abilities of their forebears have atrophied. To channel the energies of Chaos within Commorragh would be to invite disaster, for such pyrotechnics could draw the gaze of She Who Thirsts, the nemesis of the Eldar race. As such the use of psychic powers is one of the few things forbidden within the Dark City."

So, the Dark Eldar's psychic abilities have wasted away to nothing.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Atrophied and wasted away to nothing aren't exactly synonymous. They are a whisper of what they could be, but the potential still exists, and many are likely still trained in psychic skills, as they are survivors of the Fall itself, and likely trained in it before the creation of She who Thirsts.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
As far I remember, the druchii willingly let their psychic skills atrophy to lessen the risk of daemons noticing them. Infact as I recall from Path of the Renegade, that psychic power even was outlawed in main commoragh, forcing any psykers to live on the outskirt slums, trying to hide.

In the book they go to the slum area to find such a staggeringly rare druchii psyker.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
a Dark Eldar Kabal saved Iyanden from destruction because they found the Craftworld's "angst-ridden forays into the world of necromancy extremely entertaining".
Interesting, so did they keep them prisoner and totured them. It's hard for me to beleive the Dark Kin had a sudden change in heart and saved their cousins; even if in humor.

ough psykers and seers of similar position and power would have inevitably existed before the path-system was introduced.
True, and Lore doesn't really cover the Pre-Fall Eldar. If anything Black Library should give up the Heresy series and start writing about the War between the Eldar and the Necronians; covering the rise of the C'Tan and the Eldar Gods as well. Might give us better insight on this issue.

What I was saying is based on this quote
Indeed, your point is proven

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Atrophied and wasted away to nothing aren't exactly synonymous.
True.

as they are survivors of the Fall itself, and likely trained in it before the creation of She who Thirsts.
I doubt that many direct survivors of the Fall are around in M41. Still quite a lot no doubt, but they are likely in the minority.

Interesting, so did they keep them prisoner and totured them. It's hard for me to beleive the Dark Kin had a sudden change in heart and saved their cousins; even if in humor.
No they didn't turn upon the Craftworlders at all, they saved them and then met and explained themselves to Iyanden's Seer Council.

As I said before, there are numerous examples within the lore of cooperation and alliances between the Dark Kin and Craftworld Eldar. Their methods may differ wildly and their opinions of each other are generally quite negative, but they are of the same species and share the same basic goal of avoiding She Who Thirsts, after all.

The Harlequins also provide quite a strong link between the different factions.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I doubt that many direct survivors of the Fall are around in M41. Still quite a lot no doubt, but they are likely in the minority. .
Asdrubal Vect is actually a survivor of the fall. I cannot for the life of me remember who wrote a short story about him but it turned out he himself was a slave, about to be sacraficed. He was just about to have his heart cut out when slaanesh was born - thus accidently saving his life.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Asdrubal Vect is actually a survivor of the fall. I cannot for the life of me remember who wrote a short story about him but it turned out he himself was a slave, about to be sacraficed. He was just about to have his heart cut out when slaanesh was born - thus accidently saving his life.
You're referring to the short story The Torturer's Tale by Gav Thorpe (legal link).

Vect briefly retold the events of the Fall to a human slave, but his claims can hardly be verified. Regardless, I acknowledged that there would inevitably be some Eldar still around who directly survived the Fall.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
You're referring to the short story The Torturer's Tale by Gav Thorpe (legal link).

Vect briefly retold the events of the Fall to a human slave, but his claims can hardly be verified. Regardless, I acknowledged that there would inevitably be some Eldar still around who directly survived the Fall.
Vect could well be a survivor of the Fall but that story was written when the DE were still in their 2nd Edition Codex, when Vect was around 10,000 years old and that lore said that Vect was responsible for the creation of the Dark Eldar in the first place by rallying survivors of the Fall and bringing them into the Webway. Now his lore says he came to power in M35, and it doesn't say he was a Fall survivor anymore, and rather than create the Dark Eldar he just created the Kabal system while coining the term "Dark Eldar". His new lore doesn't say he was a Fall survivor but it doesn't deny it either.

Considering how the Dark Eldar keep themselves alive though the resurrection-technology it's possible some Fall survivors may still live, but since their hunger would be 10,000 years old, so they'd probably need to feed on thousands per day just to live.

LotN

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Considering how the Dark Eldar keep themselves alive though the resurrection-technology it's possible some Fall survivors may still live, but since their hunger would be 10,000 years old, so they'd probably need to feed on thousands per day just to live.
There is a suggestion in the new codex that the reason for the Dark Kin's increased volume of realspace raids and incursions is because Vect requires more and more slaves to simply endure as his "long-abused body has passed beyond rejuvenation". I think, given the fact that the Fall was now 10,000 years ago, any surviving Dark Eldar would require a huge volume of slaves daily just to survive.

Inevitably this would mean that, by now, there could only be a scant few left.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Sorry if I'm misreading your post, but it seems that you're suggesting that the DE either work with/around/for Slaanesh? My understanding is that every Eldar, regardless of their post-Fall status, are literally in mortal terror of Slaanesh, who desires only to find any way to eat their souls. Am I missing something fundamental?
You did not misread it, I may have a flaw in my understanding of Dark Eldar. I have been under the assumption that they somehow send souls to Slaanesh to fend him/her/it off of them OR that they somehow consume souls to prolong their lives to prevent their eventual deaths and thus consumption by Slaanesh.

Perhaps their line of thinking, if my latter belief is true, that by killing Angron and offering his soul to Slaanesh it may somehow fend it off a little longer. Of coarse, I lack any real knowledge of Xenos races in 40k.
The quote which sums this up from the codex is as follows:

Of course, the bitter irony of the Dark Kin is that they would never actually admit they act as they do because of the devastating hunger that devours their souls, they insist they do so because that is their right and desire.
Just wanted to point out, in the third Soul Drinker book, we see Dark Eldar actually working for Slaanesh in hopes in becoming a Deamon prince for her instead of her meal.
It backfires ofcourse, but he was a Slaanesh worshiper and Eldar :grin:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts