Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been shown a lot of times, as soon a craftworld eldar dies without their waystone, or its destroyed. Their souls is instantly consumed by Slaanesh.

But how does the Dark Eldar get around that particular fact? History is ripe with Haemonculi resurrecting deceased Druchii as long just a part of them was left.

My own speculation is that their habit of stealing souls essentially masquerades their own souls for a while, giving them a grace period in which to be ressurected. But as Path of the Renegade shows, a too old soul bought back might have a daemon hitching a ride. As was the case with El'uriaq.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
A theory - and this is just a theory *puts on tin foil hat*

It is well documented that the Dark Eldar psychic abilities and diminished to almost non existent levels unlike their CWE counter parts, this could allow their "soul" to float in the warp for a small amount of time to allow the resurrection process to take place. As it is stated in the codex, as long as they don't remain "dead" too long they can be brought back - so the longer they remain dead the more likely they cant be brought back.

The same can be said for frequent deaths - if someone was repeatedly intruding on your property you would soon notice and become more alert, thus making you more likely catching them the next time they decide to intrude.

*removes tin foil hat* as I said - just a theory.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
They learned to feed on psychic energy. Essentially inflicting pain to regenerate their own fading souls. Their souls are constantly under threat of being taken by Slaanesh if they die unprotected, but by leaving apart of their souls with the Haemonculi they can be regenerated to live again.

I'm not sure what actually happens to the rest of them, the part that actually dies. I had considered that Slaanesh does indeed claim them, and the regenerated clone is simply that; a clone.

Unless it is by some method that the haemonculus guarded part of their soul is able to draw the rest of it back before Slaanesh takes it. But I'm not really sure, the details are left pretty vague.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
This is what Codex: Dark Eldar says on the matter:

Codex: Dark Eldar said:
Whereas the Eldar of the Craftworlds learned to deny Slaanesh's hold upon them using mystical spirit stones and infinity circuits, the Eldar of the webway became exceptionally good at ensuring that lesser beings suffer in their stead...

Provided they steeped themselves in the most evil and decadent acts, the Eldar of the webway found that the curse of Slaanesh could be abated. The agony of others nourished their withered souls and kept them vital and strong, filling their frames with unnatural energies. Assuming they could feed regularly enough, the Eldar of the webway became physically immune to the passage of time. So it was that the Dark Eldar were born, a race of sadistic murderers who feed upon the anguish of others in order to prevent the slow death of their immortal souls.
In regards to the Haemonculi Pacts:

Codex: Dark Eldar said:
Most Dark Eldar warriors... will at some point enter into a terrible pact with the Haemonculi... The pact states that the Haemonculi will regenerate the warrior's body should he die, and in exchange, the seeker will leave the Haemonculi a permanent portion of his soul. Even a corpse that has been all but destroyed... can be restored to its former glory. Provided this process is enacted within a day or so of the warrior's demise, and his will is strong enough that some of his spirit still resonates within his remains, his animus will slowly regenerate along with his physical form.
I'm not sure what actually happens to the rest of them, the part that actually dies. I had considered that Slaanesh does indeed claim them, and the regenerated clone is simply that; a clone.

Unless it is by some method that the haemonculus guarded part of their soul is able to draw the rest of it back before Slaanesh takes it. But I'm not really sure, the details are left pretty vague.
As per the above quote, it seems to be the case that the regenerated Eldar is not a clone, but the same Eldar - simply regenerated. Leaving a portion of the Eldar's soul with the Haemonculi prevents Slaanesh from consuming the Eldar in question. I imagine such a process would leave the regenerated Eldar drained and in desperate need to 'feed' his soul with the suffering of others.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That does answer my question clearly and giving a hint to the true power and influence of the Haemonculi over the Dark Eldar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts