Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(this will probably not earn me a lot of friends. Oh well.)

So I was just commenting in another list, and I realized something.

Dark Angels have gotten very, very boring. The Lion's Blade, the 'omgIwantfreetanks' configuartion of 2 Demis, is literally the exact same army as one right out of C:SM. I think this is a testament to GW finally showing how some Astartes Armies should follow the Codex Astartes, but since DA was the last of the free standing Astartes books to come out... maybe too little too late. But it's also boring as all hell.

The problem becomes the fact that there's really not a lot of flavor anymore. As @ntaw has said and mourned, Deathwing can NOT be played as a free standing army anymore (though if you consider that TDA should be rare, I suppose it's fluffy). You could paint a green set of Landraiders and make a Spearhead Formation, and dare opponents to wipe those near indestructible tanks of the board before the DW drop in turn 2, but....

Ravenwing looks like it's far superior, with options for a Ride of the Valkyries turn one or turn two, and a lot more options for bringing in other units. Strong fliers, impressive speeders; yeah, Ravenwing became really strong, I feel.

But if you start with a Demi Company, you really can't hope to field a strong Deathwing or Ravenwing. Maybe a triplewing, but Greenwing itself is... lackluster at best. And since every other piece of Dark Angels can be run in formation... why would you ever play a Lion's Blade?

(sorry. That rambled more than I wanted. Hopefully people get the gist).

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Ravenwing armies are going to be wicked. The only thing I see White Scars having over them is hit and run, and even then re-rolling jink saves is pretty damn swanky. I guess if they really wanted to weigh down their list and play fluffy they can take some Deathwing and be pretty cool too, but I feel like you could spend the points more effectively on black armoured stuff.

Wholeheartedly agree that the Lion's Blade is underwhelming. Firing overwatch at full BS is great and all, but if you don't face an assault-y army you've got shit. Same goes for the demi company granting BS3 overwatch.

Deathwing...well, you're not done with. I can still play my 'angels of death' lists featuring Deathwing and Blood Angels using the redemption force as well as drop pods and jump packs, it's just a less impressive alpha strike (which is precisely the shit I love(d?! :() when talking DW/BA synergy).

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Know what would make an ungodly force?

Skyhammer Droppod + Deathwing. That will make people cry. If you've got the points, add the Song of Silence for a third wave of tears.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Know what would make an ungodly force?

Skyhammer Droppod + Deathwing. That will make people cry. If you've got the points, add the Song of Silence for a third wave of tears.
Much as I'd love to agree, that's not really "ungodly". The Skyhammer is amazing, yeah, but Deathwing are still really kind of shitty. Why would you bring a Deathwing Redemption Force over a Nemesis Strike Force, or Drop Pod Space Marines?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mostly because I like Plasminators?

But that's also my point. Dark Angels, and even Space Marines, are feeling very lack luster to me. Maybe it's just because of all the toys you can find in other places, but at this point, all I can think is... 'eh'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts