Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dark Angels are the best/worst/most mediocre and/or most exciting/lame Space Marine Chapter in the game.

Discuss.

Please stay on topic. This thread is for general tactics and what makes the DAs different from the other SM chapters (besides tainted halos). Put anything beyond this premise in its own thread.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well DA have some advantages in comparison to the normal SM.
First of all they have the Ravenwing(bikers with fearless, scout move and homing beacons) and the Deathwing (terminators which can deepstrike turn 1 and are fearless). Secondly all tactical squads, scout squads, biker squads, devastator squads and assault squads can be put into combatsquads.

With the combination of Deathwing and Ravenwing it is quit handy to get your terminators where you want them on turn 1 without scattering and you have a biker squad in perfect range for meltaweapons that they'll probably have.

·
Pally-HO!!!!
1,417 Posts
dark angels are the best space marine chapter IMHO
they have heavy-hitting groundpounders (Deathwing) and fast moving gun platforms (Ravenwing); combined, they can handle any threat, which is more than you can say for some other armies who are too biased towards a particular type of warfare.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't have an opinion on best/worst/most hedonistic, but i will say combat squads are an amazing tactical advantage. I play primarily against a dark angel army that uses them to great effect by having a more shooty group out of a transport, and assault focused group in a transport.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Combining Deathwing and Ravenwing is only really good with experience. As each model is usually 30+ points (ouch) it hurts to lose just one.

·
Registered
620 Posts
basically, you can create up to 3 very separate and different armies all within the Dark Angels
Standard, Deathwing, and Ravenwing
now of course you can mix them all up, but that at least requires 1-2 specialized HQs with the ability of making a troop choice the Deathwing Terminators and/or Ravenwing Bikes (Belial and Sammael)

depending on how you want to run or create your Dark Angels could depend on which of the 3 you want to take
all you need to learn is how to use the one you pick properly

personally, i started with the Ravenwing
i always have liked bikes and wanted to have a fast army with lots of shots going at the enemy

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am starting out with DA i have 715 points so far,
Hq
Comp. Master 130
Lighting Claw
Storm bolter
Elites
5 Termies 215
Anything for free
Scouts 120
4 snipers
1 missile
scout 65
Troops
10 Tactical Squad 185- 2 troop choice
melta, and heavy bolter
I was thinking of buying a Drednought and a predator to make it 1000 point, right about now i am stinking in battle i think i may want to get ride of my regular scout to save 65 points and up grade thing here and there. What should i do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can any experienced DA players recommend any thing?

I played my first game with DA tonight (vs. Space Wolves) and got hammered, but only just. A couple of poor tactical decisions on my part and some inexperience with the rules accounted for most of it but I'd be fascinated to read how to really get the best out of this list.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Can any experienced DA players recommend any thing?

I played my first game with DA tonight (vs. Space Wolves) and got hammered, but only just. A couple of poor tactical decisions on my part and some inexperience with the rules accounted for most of it but I'd be fascinated to read how to really get the best out of this list.
what was ur army list for the game u played?

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Remember, folks, this is meant to be a tactica thread, not a 'I think they're the best' or 'help me with my armylist' discussion. We need long, thorough breakdowns of what units are strongest or weakest in the codex and how to properly exploit them. Do we have some experienced DA players who are willing to put in the effort?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well i think that one of the best units are the chaplains. Quite cheap for an HQ and full equiped, with a command squad and a razorback are a good assault choice and, based in my experience, the enemy is always shooting my deathwing or my dreadnought, so you can arrive unharmed to the enemy lines,were they can do some good job. They can repeat rolls to hit, and the chaplain is fearless (sorry, i play the spanish version and i don't know the name for that rule in english) and the unit that he joins, i always used them, maybe i'm a fanatic of the faith, or i just like the model lol

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
IMO the best units for DA are Chaplains (cheap power weapon+invul save), Veterans (10 point upgrade for tacticals with 2 attacks each, and more choices. Command are better with non-chaplain characters, because of fearless), Tactical (Best is 5 man with a special, transport (or razorback for fire support) and a sergeant weapon), assault (quick assault, or cheap drop pod), HB preds (cheap and lots of shots) and devastators (tooled up with cheaper weapons)

·
Registered
13 Posts
One question I have is over the value of rhinos for tactical squad. How do you stop these getting smoked before you get into bolter range?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
By having alot, or using assault marines to scare the enemy into shooting them and to block LOS and stop shooting through CC.

·
Registered
130 Posts
One question I have is over the value of rhinos for tactical squad. How do you stop these getting smoked before you get into bolter range?
Move forward full speed, use the smoke launchers...and pray for favorable results on impact table.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cool, thanks for the advice. I picked up two rhinos at the weekend so I'll see how they go.

What do you guys take as your HQ choice(s)? I must admit to a fondness for Azrael (4 str6 attacks and the whole unit he is with gets A 4+ inv save).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cool, thanks for the advice. I picked up two rhinos at the weekend so I'll see how they go.

What do you guys take as your HQ choice(s)? I must admit to a fondness for Azrael (4 str6 attacks and the whole unit he is with gets A 4+ inv save).
Azrael is a very good choice (that's why it's the big boss!) but i'd only choose him in case i play for more than 2k points, for smaller battles, a chaplain would be my choice.

·
Registered
620 Posts

well personally, i play a Ravenwing army and eventually adding in some Deathwing to have a 3K hybrid
so i wont have ur general HQ choice for a standard DA army
ill have Sammael and Belial

but with a standard DA army, i would probably take an Interrogator-Chaplain with the +25 pt upgrade for Term armour and all that comes with it
having Azrael is mostly just for bigger armies

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm not a DA player, however what do you think about taking shooty VET squads. For example a 6 man Las/Plas Vet squad for 155 pts. This is cheaper then a 5 Man Dev squad with two Lascannons(160), and it doesn't take up a Heavy Choice.

Lets face it Dreads aren't that useful for the points IMHO, the only Elite Unit to compete with is Termies. I know 6 man Las/Plas can be cheesy, although DA are supposed to be shooty so its not totally unheard of...

Throw Sammael or Belial in there and you can get field yourself a pretty tough army. Just a thought, probably not so Fluffy.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts