Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the whole 40k thing and I started with Dark Angels and I need a few general and dark angel specific questions answered.

1. For those who have or know about the DA battleforce, is one of the sprues a DA conversion sprue for bikes?

Now for actual rules and codex questions. btw, if noone noticed, i think the codex has either typos or just some shocking sentence structure in the army list section.

Now my HQ is an interrogator chaplain and im putting terminator armour on him. that was simple enough. (they can be main HQ right?)

After that, stuff doesnt make as much sense. Now, I want to model my guys to their upgrades, just to make life easier for everybody, and i figure thats a good idea. So, heres what i need help on

"Up to two veterans may replace their bolter or chainsword with a flamer, a meltagun, or a plasma gun." Edited Vash.
does this mean two vets can get flamer, 2 get melta etc or can only two vets be upgraded by this entire section total out of the command squad? Also if i give two vets these upgrades, can they take another upgrade like replacing the other weap with power weap etc?
also a friend of mine (who got me into 40k) said it was odd that they give the option to replace chainsword. If you choose to replace the chainsword with a flamer for example, what weapons is the model left with? because under wargear, it says bolter or chainsword, as in, they cant have both? i know im asking a lot of stuff here but i would like to know lol. like, from what i get, if u choose to take a flamer, they lose both the chainsword and the bolter, or just one? this would give them power armour, bolt pistol, frag, krak and flamer for example. and if you choose chainsword over bolter, do they get the +1 attack in combat?

now i figure by answering that you answer the power fist/weapon question which is basically the same thing (replace chainsword or bolter with power weap or power fist for X points) but in opinion, better to have two powerfist, 1 fist 1 weap or 2 weap? i think the fist and weap because of the versatility and i want to keep that theme in my army but im not sure which to pick

also I want to put two bolt pistols on a veteran, which is purely cosmetic, but does it count for anything in the rules etc? like giving an extra attack in close combat? i know it doesnt (as far as i know) affect anything in shooting, but can it act like a chainsword would in close combat, therefore taking my chainsword or bolter option? (or at least i think its a sword/bolter option that was one of my earlier questions)

anyway thanks for reading my rant and any help would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
PhoenixRun said:
Now my HQ is an interrogator chaplain and im putting terminator armour on him. that was simple enough. (they can be main HQ right?)
Yes. As long as you have one HQ choice, that's fine.

PhoenixRun said:
"Up to two veterans may replace their bolter or chainsword with a flamer for X per model, a meltagun for X points per model, or a plasma gun for X points."
does this mean two vets can get flamer, 2 get melta etc or can only two vets be upgraded by this entire section total out of the command squad? Also if i give two vets these upgrades, can they take another upgrade like replacing the other weap with power weap etc?
All right, first off, please don't post points cost from the codex as it violates GW's copyrights. You're new here, so no worries. As for the question, yes, you can take either two flamers, two meltas, or two plasmas. You may take other weapons and upgrades if they have armory access or if it says so in their profiles, but bear in mind weapons restrictions. (One two handed weapon and one one handed weapon, or two one handed weapon.)

PhoenixRun said:
also a friend of mine (who got me into 40k) said it was odd that they give the option to replace chainsword. If you choose to replace the chainsword with a flamer for example, what weapons is the model left with? because under wargear, it says bolter or chainsword, as in, they cant have both?
You usually replace the chainsword with a more powerful close combat weapon, like a power weapon or fist. If you replace the chainsword with a flamer, it would be left with a flamer, as a one handed weapon has been replaced with a two handed weapon, and you can't have two two handed weapons, so you drop the bolter. I don't have the codex in front of me, but are you sure it doesn't say bolter AND chainsword?

PhoenixRun said:
i know im asking a lot of stuff here but i would like to know lol.
No problem, it's what we're here for.

PhoenixRun said:
like, from what i get, if u choose to take a flamer, they lose both the chainsword and the bolter, or just one?
Exactly, that's how it's usually done. I suppose you could say he still has th e chainsword, but both his hands are busy with the flamer, so it confers no bonuses.

PhoenixRun said:
this would give them power armour, bolt pistol, frag, krak and flamer for example. and if you choose chainsword over bolter, do they get the +1 attack in combat?
No. See above.

PhoenixRun said:
now i figure by answering that you answer the power fist/weapon question which is basically the same thing (replace chainsword or bolter with power weap or power fist for X points) but in opinion, better to have two powerfist, 1 fist 1 weap or 2 weap? i think the fist and weap because of the versatility and i want to keep that theme in my army but im not sure which to pick
You can only take one of a certain weapon per model. So no double powerfists. Unless it already comes with something, like a bolt pistol, then you can buy it another one. Close combat weapons are usually paired with one handed guns (pistols) or with other, lesser close combat weapons so as to confer the +1 charge bonus.

PhoenixRun said:
also I want to put two bolt pistols on a veteran, which is purely cosmetic, but does it count for anything in the rules etc? like giving an extra attack in close combat? i know it doesnt (as far as i know) affect anything in shooting, but can it act like a chainsword would in close combat, therefore taking my chainsword or bolter option? (or at least i think its a sword/bolter option that was one of my earlier questions)
Yes, you would get a +1 on the charge, but you would only be able to fire one in the shooting pp[/quote]

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Interestingly enough, in the Dark Angels codex, the Blood Angels update, and the Chaos Space Marine codex, there's no discussion of a limit on having two one handed weapons and a single two-handed weapon. The army list handles that restriction, but it seems like without explicitly stating that you can't have two two-handed weapons, it's possible to have it with the new system in place.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I'm not sure. What it does allow is for a model to carry three weapons, instead of two. For example, a Chaplain comes with a bolt pistol and Crozius, but he can be given (without trading either the pistol or Crozius) a storm bolter or combi-weapon. Before, you were limited to two weapons from the armoury-- either one two-handed and one one-handed, or two one-handed weapons. That's not the case with the newer codecies.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yeah with the new chaos dex, for the marines that have both Bp and Bolter, you can freely switch between them with you CC weap meaning you can rapid fire your bolter, change to Bp and charge, not sure if it extends past your turn though :?

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
You can't rapid-fire the bolter and still charge, since you used a rapid-fire weapon in the shooting phase. Since they have a bolt pistol and close combat weapon, you can opt to fire the bolt pistol instead of the bolter and still charge, and unlike the Dark Angels, who only have a bolt pistol and not a close combat weapon, will be double-armed in close combat. Essentially, Chaos Space Marines have True Grit in close combat, but can effectively fire once at 12'' and still charge. It plays more or less like 3rd Edition rapid-fire rules, honestly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys, though I think I worded some of my questions badly.

First off, I figured out the whole chainsword/bolter issue. For a veteran, I can choose the bolter or chainsword, giving me the option of basically having the +1 attack in close combat or rapid fire. After that is chosen, I can then replace or upgrade them using the points system. (My codex is confusing lol) Odd the way it works, as if I pick the flamer for example, any option of having a bolter or chainsword is gone because their option is linked together. It does actually say "bolter OR chainsword" unlike in chaos where the bolter and "close combat weapon" is mentioned in two different points.

Second, regarding the two power fists etc, I didn't mean to say two power fists on one model, I meant in one unit, would I be better off having:

1. One model with power fist, one with power weapon.
2. Two models with a power fist each.
3. Two models with a power weapon each.

I think the first option has more versatility personally, which I am going for in this army.

I also had a look at the thing regarding chaplains. Funny enough, while they can replace their standard bolt pistol with plasma pistol or power fist, they can also simply take on a storm bolter. Doesn't mention replacing at all which is...odd.

Also one more question, if a model in your unit chooses to strike with a power fist, does this affect the majority initiative rule and make everyone strike with initiative 1?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
325 Posts
the rest of the squad attack at their normal initiative and then the power fisted fellow would strike at initiative one.

whats the majority initiative rule anyway? i know of the majority armour rule but this one seems new to me.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
I would say take 2 powerfists. They strike last but with an armour save of 3 and the other guys in the squad to take the wounds they still should get their st8 attacks in. Although a power sword and powerfist combo is pretty good too, depends a lot on your opponent.

I think the inititive rule seems new to you maximus cause it doesn't exist. I have never heard of it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
nope...never hear of majority initiative rule either. It goes in descending order through the engaged units: Highest first - then the dead guys :lol:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If there was such a rule, in the situation you just presented the powerfist would strike with the other members, as he's a member of the minority. He'd be the first to die though.

No worries though, it doesn't exist. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha lol sorry guys didnt know there wasnt that rule...thought there was cos there is the majority armour and how stuff like movement how everyone moves the slowest speed and all that :lol:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You can have 2 two-handed weapons. You just can't shoot them in one turn as marines don't have 4 arms.
As proof of that, take them without any upgrades - Bolter + Bolt pistol = 3 arms.

You can basically take any amount of weapons that the codex allows you to, as long as you only use 2 arms in 1 shooting phase.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
also, (this might've been anwered before,I just can't be stuffed reading this post) concerning the "Bolter OR Chainsword", it means that you start your Marine off wth one of them. THEN you upgade all the other weapons. So you can't swap your chainsword for a powerfist and still take the bolter. You pick one and then you swap it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts