Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange question.

How would I go about picking Fortifications in a Lion's Strike Force comprised of 3 Detachments?

Do I get one choice per Detachment?

Or can I not take the mat all due to them not being listed in Force Organisation (for the Detachments)?

Many Thanks,

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
You don't get one, as there's no Fortification slot in the Lion's Blade. It's an annoying downside to the Combi-Detachments/Decurions, which as far as I'm aware are all unable to take Fortifications (can you bring a Tidewall in a Hunter Cadre?).

You can bring a Fortification formation as a seperate detachment, but the Fortification Networks all tend to be on the pricey side (best is probably the Promethium Relay Pipes and 1-3 Void Shield Generators, but I think there's one for a Bastion and a bunch of Aegis Lines and another for the Wall of Martyrs). I think there's also a Fortification Detachment included in Stronghold Assault which just lets you slot a fortification into your army as its own detachment, but without the book I couldn't say for sure.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I see. Do we think this is possibly over-sight/negligence on behalf of GW? Or do you think they genuinely intended to not allow people to take Fortifications in Decurions?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
It's not an oversight.

And no, @MidnightSun, the Tau don't get them in the Hunter.

The key comes from the fact that the Gladius, lion's Blade, Decurion, Hunter's Cadre, etc, are all made up out of FORMATIONS, and not DETACHMENTS.

In a Formation, there are no open slots. At best, you'll see something like '1-2 Unit X, 0-3 Unit Y or Unit Z' (much like the Demi Company). But you'll never relaly have freedom of choice.

In Detachments, you get a force org chart where you get 1-2 HQ, 2-6 Troop, etc (for example). You need something like this to be able to field a Fortification or a Lord of War, as it is specified in that chart.

And also, no, MS, to my knowledge, there's no option for a Fortification Detachment. That's just how Battlescribe adds it to the party. If that were the case, then there wouldn't be any downside to something like a Decurion, because you could just slot the Fortification detachment in with no fear or repercussions.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
And also, no, MS, to my knowledge, there's no option for a Fortification Detachment.
To date there is not. From the Stronghold Assault book:

Each datasheet uses up a single fortification slot on the Force Organisation chart.
No Fortification slot, no Fortification :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts