Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
It's pretty good. It's basically the same as what Marines can do with it, but not being able to bring something other than Assault Marines (who are shit) is a pretty big penalty for losing Chapter Tactics and the Doctrines from the Gladius that I'm not sure BS4 Overwatch actually makes up for.

Grim Resolve is going to be a game-winner in some matches, and basically irrelevant in others, so I'm not overly enamoured of it as a trait.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I guess where I'm going with this is that I'd rather run a Lion's Blade with just one Demi and get some variety than a few more razorbacks. ObjSec DW Redemption Force, anyone?
No, no, just the Demi-Companies get ObSec. Otherwise I'd be rolling around with a Land Raider Spearhead with OS :victory:

Sure, Overwatch is better with Grim Resolve, but would I want to give up three turns of Twin-Linked, two turns of re-rolling 1s to hit in shooting and two turns of re-rolling 1s to hit in melee for Ultramarines? Or Hit and Run and Scouts for White Scars? Or flat re-rolling 1s, with Tank Hunter Devastators, for Imperial Fists? Probably not, because assault just isn't something a lot of people plan on as a main strategy and the things that are going to assault you won't really care about a Tactical Squad overwatching (Riptides, Wraithknights, Wraiths etc.).

There's also the fact that Grim Resolve is the only Chapter Tactic with an active downside, which is exacerbated in the Battle Company where Tacticals and Devastators form a large body of your army. While other Chapter Tactics can be shitty (Raven Guard), none of them have an actual negative effect like DA have because muh fluff.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Ravenwing Black Knights/Command Squads are totally the way to go with the new DA, along with the new Ravenwing Support Squadron. A combination of those two, or the big Ravenwing strike force deal where they come on on turn 2, is going to be a mean list indeed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts