Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
>> Got DA codex today. Im one of these people who buys most dex's. Tis quite interesting. Anyone else got it yet?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Really good stand alone codex I think.

Lots of nice new options especially with combat squads.

Ten man dev squad with four heavy weapons, split into two with two heavy each anyone?

Ravenwing and deathwing look good but the main thing for me is that it seems to hang together as a joint force. Won't suit the powergamers though as there don't seem to be any broken units!

·
Banned
677 Posts
Is the 1 asscan per termie unit the standard now?

What are the DA special rules, like traits etc?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the cabbage said:
Really good stand alone codex I think.

Ravenwing and deathwing look good but the main thing for me is that it seems to hang together as a joint force. Won't suit the powergamers though as there don't seem to be any broken units!
>> Not a DA player, but i agree, it is a good dex. you bang on with the broken units. Everything seems to be well balanced. The orginisation of the RW is good. Much the same, but mixing b/ab/ls together is decent.

>> The single assault cannon rule is good to/ I a marine player, but hated seeing nothing but cannons in lists. Hopefully it will become the norm, stop peeps bitching about the fuckin things. Don't want to start an argument about assault cannons, just having an opinion. :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wrath of Khaine said:

>> Army fearless, that generally it. 1 assault cannon per unit, whether termies or speeders. libby got mind worm psychic power, looks good. Ravenwing bikes all come with teleport homers. Most units get combat squad rule. not much else mate.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A mate has it and I scanned it quickly. I like it. It gives the DAs their own special flavour of list and manages it very well. I can see the Combat Squad option working well in many ways and giving both the DA player and the enemy something more to think about.

It's also good news that Jervis Johnson has taken the time to answer the questions people had about some of the wording in the Codex... especially the assaulting-right-out-the-drop-pod nonsense which seemed to come up :)

The same mate is also replacing all his old DA models and getting the new ones ready and painted up so I guess I'll see them in action soon enough.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
firewolf said:
Wrath of Khaine said:

>> Army fearless, that generally it. 1 assault cannon per unit, whether termies or speeders. libby got mind worm psychic power, looks good. Ravenwing bikes all come with teleport homers. Most units get combat squad rule. not much else mate.
Well, there is the bit about being able to deep strike half your DW termies on the first turn. Why do you think DA bikes all have homers AND!! all DA bikes have the Scout USR. So may always deploy, free 12" move before the game and you can then use the homers to bring in half your DW termie squads (rounding up), and then get a first turn assault with the bikes. Lots more besides that hasn't been mentioned. Shheeeesh, not much else, yeah right.........

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
don_mondo said:
[quote

Well, there is the bit about being able to deep strike half your DW termies on the first turn. Why do you think DA bikes all have homers AND!! all DA bikes have the Scout USR. So may always deploy, free 12" move before the game and you can then use the homers to bring in half your DW termie squads (rounding up), and then get a first turn assault with the bikes. Lots more besides that hasn't been mentioned. Shheeeesh, not much else, yeah right.........
>> I missed out 2 rules, oh dear. If i had missed out 4 -5 then bitch. :D

>>What else did i miss, oh mighty tome of knowledge?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
firewolf said:
don_mondo said:
[quote

>> I missed out 2 rules, oh dear. If i had missed out 4 -5 then bitch. :D

>>What else did i miss, oh mighty tome of knowledge?
Well, there are the Bike squadrons, which can consist of 3 or6 bikes, and attack bike and a land speeder... Course the Attack bike and land speeder are automatically split off per the Combat Squad rule.
Let's see, doesn't nearly every squad automatically get a vet sgt?
All I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
76 Posts
can any one tell me sum stuff about ravenwing like wether the whole army can be on bikes and can you combine ravenwing with deathwing?
or stuff like that cause i want to get about a 2k army of ravenwing but i dnt know wether i should and i dnt want to just go out and buy the codex in case i change my mind

but i want to have ravenwing and if i can make it fully bikes so troops on bikes fast attack on bikes/speeders hq on bike/speeder heavy support on bike or some devastaor squads

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have eyed thru the codex, and it looks nice.
To bad we (DA) don't get any real flavor treat, like intractable.

But I guess this is what going to happen to all armies to come, that is - less rules and options.

A really good thing is that they finally started to make codex’s that are well tuned and aren't overpowered. No more the best army is the last army.

And no we don't get veteran sgts. for free we always have to take them...

·
Registered
30 Posts
firewolf said:
>> The single assault cannon rule is good to/ I a marine player, but hated seeing nothing but cannons in lists.
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=1785339

As for the dex I think its sucks. They have made almost everything more expensive, they have limited the wargear options and thats about it. True the 5 or 10 man squad thing is characterful but they could of at least given us free vet sarges as well as the grenades to make up for it. That would of been fair.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
EAZY-E said:
firewolf said:
>> The single assault cannon rule is good to/ I a marine player, but hated seeing nothing but cannons in lists.
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=1785339

As for the dex I think its sucks. They have made almost everything more expensive, they have limited the wargear options and thats about it. True the 5 or 10 man squad thing is characterful but they could of at least given us free vet sarges as well as the grenades to make up for it. That would of been fair.
umm DA's do get free grenades and vet SGT's and lots more stuff, so whats your point?

·
Registered
60 Posts
>>"Ahh yes, oh well, you still get free stuff"

Sorry but we don't. We pay for it with hidden costs and less options.

I don't like what I have seen so far, but I feel that GW has taken a new road with both Eldar and DA. Now they have more fixed units and fewer options for characters, all to make the game more streamlined. But I fear that it is the wrong things they are looking at when they "fix" the problems.

Having more options on characters isn't what makes the game difficult.
And I never heard any one complain that WH40K is a difficult game, sure there are some misses in wording of rules and codex’s. But on the whole there aren’t too much to complain about. But if they

And in the time they put out other codexes, both Eldar and DA will be the most boring and static armies out there. But at least Eldar got more units to choose from, this makes for a couple of different army set-ups.

Tomorrow I will buy the codex and read it more thorough to see if I have missed anything important and then I will judge it.

And as I said, I think this is what will happen to all armies. But if they don't DA is screwed until they get a new codex.

Stubborn and Intractable, RIP
You will both be missed.

·