Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
** Contains Spoilers **

Seriously. Is there anyone out there who can motivate me?.

I am currently reading The Horus Heresey "Damnation of Pythos" by David Annandale. I am roughly half-way through and am losing the will to live.

It had potential.
Iron Hands, Raven Guard and Salamander's all working together (just).
An Emperor's Children fleet ambushed and a Battle barge destroyed (although it only made up a few pages of the book). A new world.. a Deathworld no less, to have a play on.

Then...

They land, they get eaten by dinosaurs... kill lots.
Imperial citizens arrive, they get eaten by dinosaurs.
Astartes go in and kill dinosaurs.
Build camp.
Talk a lot.
Kill dinosaurs (including new flying one's).
Have a battle with maggots... yeah, that did happen!
Now They have found something underground... a giant football (methinks) and they want to destroy it.

Is there any point in me reading on because a am literally fed up with all the voices, the bad dreams etc.
Will the Loyalists actually get to kick some bad-boy's backside who is worth kicking?
Does this book actually add anything to the HH timeline?

Did I waste £6.99 buying this book... or is the best yet to come?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm truly sorry for you, man. :(

As a rule of thumbs, I spoil myself the end of the book because this one seemed to me like some giant fillers of Dragon Ball Z qualities.

If I didn't like the premises of the book or the end of the book, I pass and don't buy it.

But I heard the book is more like an horror story than any other things, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm truly sorry for you, man. :(

As a rule of thumbs, I spoil myself the end of the book because this one seemed to me like some giant fillers of Dragon Ball Z qualities.

If I didn't like the premises of the book or the end of the book, I pass and don't buy it.

But I heard the book is more like an horror story than any other things, for what it's worth.
I am not liking it so far! If I want Horror I will go and read Bram Stokers Dracula!

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's the new worst book of the series. It doesn't fit into 40K much at all really apart from the space marines. It's truly an awful book

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Bought it. Read it. Hated it. One of the worst books ive read. and ive read the entire heresy, almost all of the imperial space marine battle novels, all of the End Times, Time of Legends etc.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, it is official. Although I persevered until the end, I can categorically confirm that This book is the worst HH book out of the lot. I should have saved my money.. :ireful2:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Damnation of Pythos was seriously beyond pointless. It did nothing whatsoever to advance the story of the HH, and was a terrible novel in its own right. As entertaining as the idea of Godzilla fighting a bunch of Greater Daemons is, you'd think it'd be more fun to read about.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I wish I could forget having read this novel. Then I could take the recommendation to not read it and never know quite how shockingly bad it was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts