Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Well my copy of the limited edition Daenyathos has found its way into my collection, and shall now hold a place of pride.

This novella contains a prequel story set across M36 starting at the Fall of Goge Vandire and follows the story of Daenyathos, a Soul Drinker who soon grows into a figurehead and will alter the destiny of the entire Soul Drinkers chapter. Now since not everyone will get ahold of this excellent story for either price reasons or its 1000 copy run, I have posted the plotline here so that you all may know what it entails.

The artwork of the novella is quite amazing. It isn't fancy CGI artwork or highly lavished painted artwork but rather just pencil drawings, and yet they are better then many advanced art. The simplistic pencil scribblings bring the story to life with excellent captions of the characters, weapons and locations that the novella creates. And some amusing and very very interesting side-markers by the Imperial Fists chapter on this confiscated tome give another point of view to some of the events.

High Point: When Daenyathos reveals his true plans and the manipulations he has put into them I was amazed, the Imperial Fists are right, the Soul Drinkers are heretics and need to die.

Plus the conflicting accounts of Soul Drinker and Imperial Fist keep us guessing throughout the novel about who is right and who is wrong. Are the Soul Drinkers intentionally lying or are the Imperial Fists blinded by hate. It can't be told but we'll find out eventually in Phalanx, the final Soul Drinkers novel.

The character Croivas Ascenian is one of the best I have seen in my collection of Black Library. An Imperial Missionary who upon arriving at his new world was to minister the faith of the people, only to experiment on them. The entire population was cybernetically connected to a machine that painfully shocked them whenever they disobeyed and kept them in a permanent state of agony. He did all this just to see what happened. And the atrocities continue on such as marching an entire city into a dark valley to have their minds ripped out and put into the skulls of several psyker children whose power was amplified to destructive superhuman levels, and merging twenty-thousand people into one fleshy mass to try and forge a single being from them. And they only get worse. And his appearance was breath-takingly horrific, the images were excellent and made him into a character to fear.

Low Point: Only one thing bugged me and that was the Reclusiarch seeming to be the head Chaplain. Either its a mistake or the Soul Drinkers Reclusiarch is also their Master of Sanctity, or they dont have that rank at all.

Overall Daenyathos is a very imaginative story that delves into a period of turmoil the Imperium had not seen since the Horus Heresy and the ramifications of choices made during that period, such as Croivas Ascenian becoming a Missionary when in the 41st Millennium he wouldn't have even been considered.

The Soul Drinkers Chapter is also shown in a totally new light, their dark past is accounted and we see that their secession was not just the temporary anger and madness of one Librarian. It was the result of millennia of planning by the Chaplains and the guidance of a single heretic whose reach was so wide that he orchestrated the Soul Drinkers fall from grace.

I give Daenyathos a 9/10 for its exciting story, its stunning artwork and a new cast of characters that even though this will be their only appearance, they are greater then some Black Library regulars. If only the Soul Drinkers series was about Daenyathos, but we can't have it all. If you haven't bought this novella already i'd highly recommend it, hurry only a few hundred copies remain.

Edit: This is also my first review for The Founding Fields, and here is a link so that you can read it there if you want.
The Founding Fields | Book Reviews, Fiction News, Author Interviews, Guest Articles, Giveaways and MORE!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Good review! I wish I had bought this now but I pondered upon what possible revelance it would have on Phalanx, so at the end of it, didn't bother. It is interesting, that this Marine that they have followed by word for so long was actually an heretic, does that mean that the Marines from the omnibus, those killed in the First Chapter War, were actually Traitor? Overall, excellent review dude, have some rep :)

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since Gorgleon and his loyalists wanted to remain with the Imperium technically they were outside of Daenyathos's plan. Sarpedon and his Soul Drinkers are the true loyalists to Daenyathos and his treacherous plans.

Also one thing that I found amusing. The character Croivas Ascenian is featured in artwork on several pages. If you want a description just picture the Nazgul "Tainted" model but with bonier arms with long metallic fingers like spider legs, and mechandrenites for legs hidden behind his cloak.

Thanks for the rep DA.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice review Lord, can't give rep cause I have to spread it round :(

I'm halfway through my own (much celebrated) copy and am also pleasantly surprised by it's contents. The artwork really adds to it, being drawn and in some cases pretty vague....but that fits the story, as it takes place a long while back.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I may have missed something while reading it but what was the purpose of Daenyathos keeping that Imp Guard trooper hidden away all those years? It seemed like he took him out of the box just so he could hear the plan then die.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just ordered Daenyathos from Black Library, read the review, though not the spoilers, and from the comments below it i'm pacing around waiting for it to arrive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm feeling a bit ambivalent about this book, and I'm hoping if someone can clarify a particular nagging question regarding Daenyathos and the origins of his corruption. Something feels out of place with the theory behind it.

It basically boils down to how could he be promoted and revered within the chapter when the nature of his writings contradict the very spirit of the chapter and his primarch?

When he writes the catechisms in which he calls humans cattle, the chief Reclusiarch says this is disturbing, and that an ammendum should be added to it. He never writes this final add on, supposedly because he murders the chief Reclusiarch before he can bring it up again. But what about the Chapter master and the other upper echelons of the chapter? Considering how widely read his writings were, you would think that other people would have noticed the cattle comments as well. And if they did, why would they agree with them or not voice a counter opinion? These people represent the ideals of their primarch, and Dorn was one of the architects of the current structure of the Imperium. Furthermore, Dorn admired and respected humans that he worked with - a tradition that continues in the founding legion and its successor chapters today (ex. Imperial fists behaviour on Hydra Cordatus, Crimson fists in the defence of their home world, etc).

So why would they then turn around and promote Daenyathos to be the chief spiritual leader of the chapter? It doesn't make sense.

Could there be more to the story that is not being told? Ie. it was more than just words that corrupted him - perhaps a corrupted relic or item similar to what corrupted fulgrim? This would explain why the upper echelons didnt stop him as they were exposed to the relic as well, and how he was able to gain such a devout group of followers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts