Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, First of it I put this in wrong section then I apologize i don't post too often.

anyways recently I decided I want to start a 40k Daemon army but before I started I though I'd seek the wisdom of the great daemon players. I really like all the gods and all the units and the thing I like the most is the Soul Grinder (I know right totally didn't see that one coming) however I need to know what really effective and what not. 80% of the players at my club play space marine (chaos and regular), 15% Imperial Guard (heavy mech list), and the last 5% being the others, so as you can see Marines are usually my enemy. If you have any advice plz throw it up

-Charleston Chew :)

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I can't help you much; But go into Daemons expecting to lose. The Odds are against you; But when you win, It's awesome- I'm thinking of expanding my CSM into Daemons; But I'd remain Strictly Khorne :3 So it's abit more of a challenge for me. :3

You have to deploy in 2 Waves; In a random order; And don't even bother playing DH... They can stop you coming 3" close to them; Shoot at you on the turn you Deepstrike etc.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
unfortunatly Chaos Daemons are one of the armys i don't have a codex for (yet) however i know a few things from word of mouth.
Flamers are supposed to be great raged attacker and you can give them Bolt of Change which i belive is the same as the C-Marines one whihc is great for tank busting. Now your combat troops would be your Bloodleaters or daemonites (excuses my spelling), i'm unsure on what whould be the most effective agianst MEQ's but i know the Bloodleaters have power weapons so make of that as you will. Alas i know very little other wise and the only other unit i know is the screemers but they arn't that great (the modals however i love)

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Hold on, I'll activate the Katie Drake signal.
Ahahaha... that made me laugh so hard I'm going to have to rep you for that once I'm done here.

Okay, to the OP:

If you plan on playing in a competitive environment against other competitive players that are playing armies that don't suffer really bad in serious play, please pick any army other than Daemons.

Well, okay. Maybe not any other army. I wouldn't suggest picking up Daemonhunters for example. Or Necrons. But pretty much any army other than that.

Chaos Daemons have severe weaknesses that take a lot of skill and more than a little luck to overcome. Namely, Daemons are terrible against vehicles.

We're almost certainly going to have people posting here talking about how Daemons can deal with vehicles and how they do it all the time and so on.

Bullshit. Don't listen to it. Fact is, Daemons struggle badly against armies that are fully mechanized. The main reason for this is that Daemons have very few ranged attacks that are capable of cracking open armored targets to get at the juicy infantry inside. Bolt of Tzeentch is okay, but with only Strength 8 and one shot it isn't terrible reliable, even with its awesome AP value. The Soul Grinder's Tongue attack has an impressive profile, but due to the Grinder's poor Ballistic Skill it's far from reliable.

Sadly, the most reliable way to deal with mechanized armies for Daemons is to chase after them and try to crack them open in close combat. Some people will throw Greater Daemons and Daemon Princes at these sorts of targets, but this is a waste of their potential in almost all cases - only throw a Bloodthirster at a tank if it's the only thing close enough to reach or if said tank is a Land Raider. For everything else, use Fiends. Fiends are good. Really good. You want lots of Fiends. Preferably the maximum of 18. Yes, that's a lot of the same model. Yes, it might get kind of boring painting that many. No, I really don't recommend buying 18 of the GW Fiend models because those things are hideously expensive. Convert up Lizardman/Dark Elf Cold Ones instead and save yourself a bundle of cash.

So again, if you're looking to play competitively, please, for your own sake turn away and find another army. I'm really telling you this for your own good. I play Daemons. I love my Daemons army. But I learned the hard way that Chaos Daemons just don't function well in serious environments. If you're just going to be playing with friends or in a very casual group, you'll be fine. Otherwise... look elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I really love Daemons but I have to echo Katie's sentiment. Do not play them if you want to be competitive. They're great fun to play and have some awesome units but in a mech heavy environment they're very weak. I reckon my win/loss ration is somewhere around 50/50 with Daemons which I consider to be pretty good. But sometimes you have those games where you lose both Soul Grinders to mishaps.

I play basically mono-Tzeetch with a hint of Fiends to make me not suck horribly.

Aramoro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts