Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play CSM, but the summoned Daemons... me and my friend can't decide if we should use any. Greater OR lesser. Any tips? Are they even worth it?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I use both to great success in my list. 2 Daemon princes, greater daemon, 3 plague marine squads with 2 melta in 2 of them, 1 plasma in the other. the plasma champ has a powerfist, the others a champ with meltabombs - all in rhinoes with possessed and havoc launcher, 2 squads of 5 lesser daemons to hang back once they come on board and 6 obliterators 3x2 to top it all off.

3 Monstrous creatures does put your opponent off, especially if the third comes in on a later point through something that previously looked harmless.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Greater Daemons are amazing if used properly, especially in CC focused armies. When you have 3 Champions all within 12" of the enemy, you can pop him up practically anywhere.

Im less taken with Lesser daemons, but they have their uses in certain lists.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Lessers are very nice for tying things up that have really big guns that you'd rather not have shooting at you. So much the better if they assault something that sucks in close combat that they can actually take, but even for things like tying up a unit of Dire Avengers or even Space Marines for a turn or two while you get your Noise Marines or whatever other Chaos Dakka you have in position to blast the Hell out of them (or into them, in our case) once they win is pretty handy.

It's also a nice way to have more Troop choices than the FOC normally allows for objective holding games. My friends and I usually play in teams of two and decide what kind of game we're playing before we make our lists, so sometimes I'll tell my teammate to just focus on killing things while I throw out a bunch of plague marines and lesser daemons to take care of the objectives. That's probably pretty cheesy, but they don't seem to mind that much.

I once used a small unit of them to tie up a Dreadnaught for an entire game. They couldn't hurt it, but their inv save and him only having a couple attacks a turn made it actually take time for him to kill them all. Probably not the best use of them, but it kept his assault cannon from shooting things I actually needed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have never tried it, but I wonder how a nasty IC teleporting in with 20 daemons would do.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have never tried it, but I wonder how a nasty IC teleporting in with 20 daemons would do.
Not sure it would be worth it to attach an IC to your deamons, mainly because they wouldn't be able to assault when they arrive. The lesser daemons have a rule that lets them, but the IC sure doesn't. So they would get to stand there in a nice pie-plate formation and get shot to pieces.

Also, would said IC be counted as destroyed if you lost all your icons prior to the Daemons becoming available from reserve? Worth pondering, if nothing else.

·
Registered
90 Posts
"Not sure it would be worth it to attach an IC to your deamons, mainly because they wouldn't be able to assault when they arrive. The lesser daemons have a rule that lets them, but the IC sure doesn't"

WHAT!? *heart attack*

Please do tell me. What rule allows a deepstriking daemon to assault the same turn it arrives? I don't see any of this in the codex.

·
Registered
86 Posts
"Not sure it would be worth it to attach an IC to your deamons, mainly because they wouldn't be able to assault when they arrive. The lesser daemons have a rule that lets them, but the IC sure doesn't"

WHAT!? *heart attack*

Please do tell me. What rule allows a deepstriking daemon to assault the same turn it arrives? I don't see any of this in the codex.
Pg 61, CSM Codex, second paragraph in the box at the bottom, under the header "Summoning Deamons".

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ah, I must of missed that, I thought lesser and greater daemons behaved like all deep striking models, this has opened up alot of sneaky tactics!

Imagine a group of 5 lightningclaw terminator champs dropping down with two squads of 10 daemons, the daemons rush into combat locking up the units that would have otherwise shot the crap out of the terminators. next turn the terminators rape face.

Yeah theres flaws, but hey. pretty damn cool.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm almost positive that the IC would stop them all from assaulting, but they can still Run! to spread a bit. This can be used to box in fools you know your are going to sweep with someone else.

It's seems like the best/cheapest way to get a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut into the mix, or even using Nurgle steed instead of a Landraider etc. Blight grenades from Typhus will also let a group of Daemons absorb a charge easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts