Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Is Tzeentch + Khorne a good combo at 1500? Is there another Khorne combo that is clearly better?

2. Is Fateweaver worth it?

3. How good are Flamers vs other Elites choices?

4. Generally, should my shooty or my melee units be in the first wave, or should it be a mix?

Buying the bulk of my Daemons army this coming Thursday, so i want all the info i can get in order to make an informed decision. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
324 Posts
well, a few of your questions don't necessarily have black and white answers, but I'll try my best.

1) tzeentch + khorne CAN work, but the reality is that each FOC slot is different. Khorne are very killy but quite inflexible as well, and other than the flesh hounds are very very slow. In terms of "best units in the codex" the gods are quite balanced out, although I'd say that Khorne is the god which is the least necessary. For example, Fiends are the best Elite and probably the best unit in the codex, if you want competitive you should probably max out on these. In the troop section it's definitely plaguebearers. You want your troops to hold objectives and this is what these guys do. Fast attack may initially seem as the weakest part of the codex and in a way it is, but both Flesh Hounds and Seekers can be quite useful when you combine them with your fiends to get a highly mobile army. In HQs and Heavy support, Tzeentch wins, with Tzeentch princes being probably the best bang for your buck, and Tzeentch heralds in chariots doing the same. These two slots are the only places where you can get reliable shooting of (almost) high strength, which you will need in order to destroy AV so your obscene anti infantry can get to work.

Ok, that was a bit long, but in short, Khorne/Tzeentch is probably the best way to use khorne, although Plaguebearers are really very very good. The best combination if you only want 2 gods I'd say was tzeentch/slaanesh.

2) Not at all. Fateweaver is very expensive and while his reroll aura seems to be worth it in paper, fateweaver himself is quite weak at T5 and 3 wounds, plus the added disadvantage that you have a chance to lose him after one wound. Rerrollable 3+ seems a lot but when you think about it killing fateweaver is only slightly harder than killing 2 seer council on bikes. The most efficient HQs are the heralds, because for the points of fateweaver you can get 3 tzeralds on chariots, which have a total of 15 wounds, are jetbikes, and most importantly you get 3x bolt and 3x gaze. The problem with Greater daemons is they are inefficient, and especially the tzeentch ones, since you want them to shoot but you pay all those points for the MC status and combat ability, while you really don't gain anything on the shooting front.

3) Flamers are probably the second best elite, after fiends. Bloodcrushers look amazing both modelwise and in the paper, but are too slow to really be a threat. You'll be tempted to use flamers as suicide units, but if you're taking several units of them, you're better off playing them more conservatively and using their high mobility to get good shots in.

4)This one depends entirely on how your army is setup. The way I do it generally is not shooty/non shooty but rather big/small. The idea is you either want to threaten as much as possible early on and then have your troops come in on objectives later on. If that fails, you bring down all your troops first and try to survive/tie up the nastier shooting elements so when your big guys come down they can do their job.

Finally, I'd reccomend reading Chumbalaya's Daemon review here. It's a good read and will point you in the general direction you want to go.

Hope that helped,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts