Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/daemonology-ebook.html

A new release and one that I think will finally explain a mystery that a lot of people did not care for. What happened after Scars and before Vengeful Spirit to change Mortarion from a witch-hating fanatic to an aspiring warlock himself. I'll be reading this soon myself.

LotN

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I've just bought and read this - what a gem it turned out to be! Probably the most enjoyable of all the £1.99 shorts (that I can think of anyway).

It does, quite satisfactorily, justify Mortarion's actions in Vengeful Spirit. It also further opens up Mortarion's character - something Wraight began in Scars. It also includes a fair few little thought-provoking tidbits regarding numerous things - such as the Emperor (and Malcador's) intentions & how Mortarion is so fucked up.

For £1.99 I would recommend this, especially if you, like me, enjoyed Scars.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
There are certainly a lot of talking points - lots of fascinating titbits for us:

Damn CoTe approved.
Doesn't happen very often these days. :laugh:

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
That is very interesting, and if anything it damns the emperor even more in my eyes.
How so? Because he had planned Nikaea at least 70 years before? We already knew he was hypocritical and intended to remove the threat of the warp. Whilst it does add clarification I don't think it should alter our opinion of the Emperor given what we already knew. Just my thoughts. :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
How so? Because he had planned Nikaea at least 70 years before? We already knew he was hypocritical and intended to remove the threat of the warp. Whilst it does add clarification I don't think it should alter our opinion of the Emperor given what we already knew. Just my thoughts. :)
I dunno, according the the official BL Primarch discovery order magnus was found way before mortarion.

Wouldn't it make sense to advise the primarch whose in the top three most powerful psykers that you plan on banning the use of psykers?

·
Registered
77 Posts
The strange question is, why not release this before, or at the same time as Vengeful Spirit? I haven't read Daemonology yet and will hopefully get it tonight, but it just seems like the release schedule wound some people up/made them dislike VS at first read :eek:k:

·
Craw-Daddy
4,416 Posts
I dunno, according the the official BL Primarch discovery order magnus was found way before mortarion.

Wouldn't it make sense to advise the primarch whose in the top three most powerful psykers that you plan on banning the use of psykers?
It makes sense, however its best he probably didn't. The Thousands Sons seem to have dwelled as deep as they could into the forbidden sphere of things, and I feel this may have caused a premature damage to the Imperium even before the Great Crusade was over.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It makes sense, however its best he probably didn't. The Thousands Sons seem to have dwelled as deep as they could into the forbidden sphere of things, and I feel this may have caused a premature damage to the Imperium even before the Great Crusade was over.
I dunno magnus's entire point was that psykers was something that should be used. Everything he did was to prove that psykers are good.

If the emperor told magnus about the true natures would he have continued to do so?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Just read it.

Wraight needs to stick with the Death Guard/Mortarion.

He writes better from their/his perspective than he did with the Scars/Jahagtai.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Just read it.

Wraight needs to stick with the Death Guard/Mortarion.

He writes better from their/his perspective than he did with the Scars/Jahagtai.
I think you're completely wrong. He writes well from both. His White Scars have been a joy to read, especially after Andy Hoare's work

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
To each his own Monty. Then again you think a Predator stands a chance with an Astartes ^_^

Perhaps Wraight wanted to simply keep the reader blind to its true nature until Mortarian makes it known to us?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts

The Emperor was a hypocrite. I believe Malcador was being genuine when he told Mortarion that the Emperor intended to 'remove the warp from the arteries of the Imperium'. However, it was also acknowledged that it was necessary to build the Imperium with 'forbidden tools'. I believe one of those 'forbidden tools' was Magnus the Red - who was needed to sit the Golden Throne to guide the armies of humanity through the webway.

The Emperor needed Magnus and his Legion. I don't think making an enemy out of the Crimson King from the beginning would have been wise. Given all of the tutoring and warnings the Emperor gave Magnus over the years, perhaps it was assumed he could be brought onside in the long term.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts