Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been messing around with a list like this. With DH, I find a lack of antitank is crippling, so I'm taking armored fists because the chimeras can act as ad-hoc tanks, plus they're dirt cheap to be used for that purpose. Plus, no one expects a vehicle heavy DH army, so there's a psycological advantage. :wink:

HQ

Inquisitor Lord Nathe Garrison

Armed with Bolt Pistol, Daemonhammer, Psychic Hood, Frag Grenades, and Emperor’s Tarot

Total: 107 Points

Garrison’s Retinue

1 Warrior Henchman w/ Flamer

1 Familiar

2 Mystics

Total: 140 Points

Elites

Vindicaire Assassin

Armed with an Exitus Sniper Rifle, an Exitus Pistol, a Spy Mask, and a Stealth Suit: 115 Points

Death Cult Assassins

3 Assassins armed with a power weapon and a CCW: 120 Points

Troops

Armored Fist Squad I

1 Veteran Sergeant w/ Laspistol and CCW

1 Heavy Bolter Team

7 Vostroyans w/ Lasguns

Chimera w/ Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers and a Heavy Stubber

Total: 169 Points

Armored Fist Squad II

1 Heavy Bolter Team

7 Vostroyans w/ Lasguns

Chimera w/ Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers and a Heavy Stubber

Armored Fist Squad III

1 Heavy Bolter Team

7 Vostroyans w/ Lasguns

Grey Knights Squad Alpha

1 Grey Knights Justicar

7 Grey Knights w/ Stormbolters

2 Grey Knights w/ Psycannon

Total: 325 Points

Grey Knights Squad Beta

1 Grey Knights Justicar

Fast Attack

Sentinel Squadron I

1 Sentinel w/ Multilaser: 45 Points

Heavy Support

Grey Knights Purgation Squad

1 Grey Knights Justicar w/ Psycannon

4 Grey Knights w/ Psycannon

Total: 400 Points

Inducted Leman Russ

Armed with a battle cannon and hull heavy bolter

Total: 145 Points

Grand Total: 2002 Points

I dunno if you noticed, but I love psycannons. For some reason, my opponents seem to underestimate them, maybe cause they're billed as heavy bolters on steroids, but I use them as multi-purpose weapons. I've done just about anything with them, and they haven't failed me yet. In case you're wondering why I'm taking armored fist squads, the answer is two-fold: Vostroyans are expensive and so using them as AF squads is cheaper, and, as stated above, I get a free tank with each squad, which is a pretty good deal. Okay, they're not russes, but they can piss off a squad of heavy infantry quite nicely. Especially en masse.

So...comments? Suggestions? Is my list completely insane, or have I stumbled onto something brilliant here? (Hopefully more towards the latter... :D )

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Your list seems a good starting point. It does need some changing though, in my opinion.

1) Your =I=.He isn't geared to do anything specific except prehaps deamon hunting. He has a Deamonhammer which makes me think you want to use him as a CC guy, but he has no armour other than the basic, no transport, no combat or gun serv's (other than the flamer) and no acoltyes. And you have him with 2 mystics which are only really good vs deamons and a familer even though he has no phsyic powers. He's all over the show and frankly a waste of points and time. He will do nothing of any use as he is at the moment against anything other than a under strenght Deamon squad.

First rule of the DH list, if your going to use a =I= Lord then focus him on one thing CC or shooting, not both and make sure you do the job well i.e. shooty: psycannon with 3 gun servs with heavy bolters and a plasma cannon with a sage etc, CC: Termie armour, force weapon or deamon hammer, 3 combat servs, 3 acoltyes with storm sheilds etc.

Either that or take the GK GM, and take a Elite =I=, use him to get access to the Assassins and set him up as a Psycannon firebase. In a 2k+ list you really should be taking a GM though.

2.a: Your Amoured Fist Squads. What purpose do you have for them?, if you are going to use them as mobile squads in the Tank then ditch the HB, its a waste of points and get some special weapons in there. If your going to just use the Tank by itself then keep them as they are and use them for fire support.

b: When you say Vostrayons do you just mean the mini's or do you mean doctrine wise because you can't take doctrines with DH remember.

c: Also if I were you I would make one the Armoured Fist squads Storm Troopers - the Vostrayon minis still work as them (I'm taking it you already have these minis so...) and that way you can take one of the GK squads and make them Teleport Attack Sqauds. That way you can deal with any nasties like XV88 Broadsides etc that might pop up but still having filled out the 2 troop choices from the DH codex.

3: To me that walker is a bit of a waste of points unless you have found a way of keeping them alive which I don't know about, 1 turn of even average fire and its going to be rubble. You have the Chimeras for objective grabbing so ditch it and spend the points of the Leman Russ, which really needs Extra Armour and sponsuns by the way and/or your HQ unit which ever you decide it to be.

4: I do like you Heavy Support and Elites (as long as you use the assassin in the right manner) though. Very nasty.

I think the main thing the list suffers from is a little bit of unfocussedness, your main numerical squads (the AF squads) don't have a obvious role which they are geared to excel at. Just have a think on what I've said, hope I wasn't too harsh and good luck.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. He is CC, and the only reason the warrior is there is to give him a WS bonus. Same for the familiar. I took the two mystics so that I could assign the 4D6" attack to another squad within 12", instead of the Inquisitor's squad having to make it. As you can see, they have no guns! Good point about not enough CCWs there though, I might drop the flamer and give the guy a CCW and hellpistol. The only reason I said flamer is because I figured, since the squad would be up close and personal, then it would be a good chance to kill some things w/ a template. And since an Inq. Lord gets a base save of +3, I figured there was no need to upgrade his armor, as I want his unit to be rather cheap

2. a: I'm going to use them as either objective grabbers, wherein they speed across the board and wait for the rest of the army, or to set of a gunline at an opposing angle to my army, sort of a moblile gunline. But they will be stationary most of the time, see my previous post for more on this.

b: just the models, and I don't have them yet. I figured it would be easier to edit the list before I bought them. A mistake I made w/ my cadian army.

c: Do you mean Guard Stormies or DH stormies? Cause I agree w/ you, some added firepower might be in order. I have some DH stormies, but I don't know where that would put me in terms of points, what with the chimera and everything.

3. Yeah, I just stuck it in there cause I had a few extra points, but I think I might swap it out for a combat servitor in the Inq. Retinue.

4. Thanks. Last game, my Vindicaire killed over four times his own points value before they iced him, so naturally he's on my good list right now. :wink:

I'll tweak this as per your suggestion, and post an updated list soon.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's an updated list:

HQ

Inquisitor Lord Nathe Garrison

Armed with Bolt Pistol, Annoited Weapon, Frag Grenades, and Emperor’s Tarot. Has the psychic power Hammerhand

Total: 87 Points

Garrison’s Retinue

3 Combat Servitors w/ Powerfists and CCWs

1 Familiar

2 Mystics

Total: 180 Points

Elites

Vindicaire Assassin

Armed with an Exitus Sniper Rifle, an Exitus Pistol, a Spy Mask, and a Stealth Suit: 115 Points

Death Cult Assassins

2 Assassins, armed with a power weapon and a CCW: 80 Points

Troops

Armored Fist Squad I

1 Lascannon Team

7 Vostroyans w/ Lasguns

Total: 184 Points

Armored Fist Squad II

1 Lascannon Team

7 Vostroyans w/ Lasguns

Armored Fist Squad III

1 Lascannon Team

7 Vostroyans w/ Lasguns

Grey Knights Squad Alpha

1 Grey Knights Justicar

Grey Knights Squad Beta

1 Grey Knights Justicar

Heavy Support

Grey Knights Purgation Squad

1 Grey Knights Justicar w/ Psycannon

4 Grey Knights w/ Psycannon

Total: 400 Points

Inducted Leman Russ

Armed with a battle cannon and hull heavy bolter

Total: 145 Points

Grand Total: 1997 Points

I gave all of the AF squads lascannons, to add more anti-tank to my army, and better define their role. I figured the heavy bolters on the Chimeras could keep the infantry off their backs. I took out the sentinel, added three combat servitors to the Inq. Retinue, dropped a death cult assassin. (a necessary change unfortunately. Lascannons don't pay for themselves)

I also dropped my Inquisitor's psychic hood and daemonhammer, replacing the latter with an annoited weapon. I figure, for five more points, why not give it that extra bit of daemon-killing power. I gave him hammerhand to offset his lack of a uber-killer weapon, and make him more of a CC beast. I dropped the guy with a flamer, as he was pretty much useless now.

I did not add sponsons to my leman russ as, when I play, my tank doesn't do tanky things like running up and gunning people down. Instead, it sits in a corner with it's side and rear armor guarded and it's front armor hull down and fire's it's ordnace weapon constantly. It's AV 14 makes it much harder to destroy than a basilisk, so I'm basically paying 20 extra points for a better armored artillery peice. Meh, I can live with that. It seems to work. My russ kills a lot.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Yea that list seems better, I'd still take 3 Acoyltes to bumb his survivability to 6 wounds in CC though. Its a standard tataic for CC =I= but it works. I would also recommend taking Scouring since you have the familer so that you do have a bit more ranged stuff, you could probably drop the bolt pistol then, not that its really going to save points.

Personnally, but this is always going to come up when you take lascannons, I would take Missile Launchers, they are only 1 less on each stat and cheaper and more versatile. But that is just me.

When I said Stormies I meant DH ones, that way you have a Tele attack squad and when ive used them they have been very very nasty. If your concious of points don't take a full squad, take 5, give them 2 flamers and use them for drive by toastings of big units and objective grabbing, give the chimera at turret mounted heavy flamer and a hull mounted heavy bolter or leave it empty and you've got even for anti-horde weapons.

List seems good though.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jacobite said:
Yea that list seems better, I'd still take 3 Acoyltes to bumb his survivability to 6 wounds in CC though. Its a standard tataic for CC =I= but it works. I would also recommend taking Scouring since you have the familer so that you do have a bit more ranged stuff, you could probably drop the bolt pistol then, not that its really going to save points.

Personnally, but this is always going to come up when you take lascannons, I would take Missile Launchers, they are only 1 less on each stat and cheaper and more versatile. But that is just me.

When I said Stormies I meant DH ones, that way you have a Tele attack squad and when ive used them they have been very very nasty. If your concious of points don't take a full squad, take 5, give them 2 flamers and use them for drive by toastings of big units and objective grabbing, give the chimera at turret mounted heavy flamer and a hull mounted heavy bolter or leave it empty and you've got even for anti-horde weapons.

List seems good though.
I chose lascannons because they require no conversion for vostroyans. As far as I know, vostroyans don't have any missile launcher models, and it's a lot harder to convert metal than it is to convert plastic. (Like the cadians)

I'll keep the stormtroopers in mind, but I don't really have any spare points right now, so incorporating them would require a massive overhaul of the list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts