Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an army list I wrote just then. Please give me any help you can. I don't want to waste money buying something and not using it. I've already got a full squad of Grey Knights so I'm using them for sure.

Grand Master:
Grimoire of true Names
Master Crafted Force Halberd
Icon of the just
Teleport Homer
#Word of the Emperor
Retinue of 4 Terminators

Inquisitor Lord
Artificer Armour
Teleport Homer
Daemon Hammer
Storm Bolter
#Scourging
#Word of the Emperor
3x Acolyte
2x Mystic
Familiar

Eversor Assassin

9x Grey Knights + Justicar
Master Crafted Power Weapon for Justicar

Land Raider Crusader
Storm Bolter
Extra Armour (no extra points)
Smoke Launchers

1498 Points

I plan to run my Inquisitor or Master and their retinue to the enemy lines in the land raider and assault out of it as soon as I can. While they're in combat, I'll deepstrike/teleport all my other units next to the HQ using either one's teleport homer and help out with the combat.

·
Registered
800 Posts
good list imo... not that many models though as grey knights cost so f****** much....

not alot of anti tank in there though, maybe make it 2000 points and add a dred and a squad of storm troops. or a dred and another squad of termies, either way i think you need another anti tank...

but hey am no expert on grey knights in fact im starting grey knights next week to (my bday)

·
Registered
40 Posts
so when you say that your list is 'friendly' what exactly does that mean? (serious question, and i may just not know what a friendly army is!)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not seriously competitive and just to play with friends and/or gaming clubs. It's not the type of army you would take to a huge tournament. It's not very flexible and should be modified a little bit before each game to suit your opponent.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Grand Master:
Grimoire of true Names
Master Crafted Force Halberd
Icon of the just
Teleport Homer
#Word of the Emperor
Retinue of 4 Terminators
As awesome as the GM is, at 1.5K you really need more Bodies, so if you make him a BC you will save quite a few points.

Inquisitor Lord
Artificer Armour
Teleport Homer
Daemon Hammer
Storm Bolter
#Scourging
#Word of the Emperor
3x Acolyte
2x Mystic
Familiar
As much as I would love my Inq to be a c/c monster, at T3 S3 he just isn't going to be. A great build for Inq's and Retinue is to go shooty, so say a Psycannon for Him, and 3 Warriors w/ Heavy Bolters. Stick a Sage in to up the Inq's BS, and you have a great fire support base.

Eversor Assassin
Lovely! Him or a Callidus are excellent choices.

I like my GK Squads vanilla as well. It's a shame you don't have more Squads then you could make 1 of them Fast Attack and DS them in.
The other way to use them is to knock them down to 6 Men and add Psycannons, but you already have a firebase if you changed the Inq & retinue.

Land Raider Crusader
Storm Bolter
Extra Armour (no extra points)
Smoke Launchers
I understand your strategy for taking this, but if this was my list I would swap it for 2 TLLC/ML Dreads with EA as your anti-tank is virtually non-existant. Been the only Vehicle on the field the LRC is going to cop it from everything the enemy has, and with your GM or Inq in there if it blows, then that's a lot of points trapped or lost.

1498 Points

I plan to run my Inquisitor or Master and their retinue to the enemy lines in the land raider and assault out of it as soon as I can. While they're in combat, I'll deepstrike/teleport all my other units next to the HQ using either one's teleport homer and help out with the combat.
[/QUOTE]

As I say it's your list, and I love DH whatever the compilation. :wink:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa. That's really precise. Thanks for all that.

so if you make him a BC you will save quite a few points
What's a BC?

As much as I would love my Inq to be a c/c monster, at T3 S3 he just isn't going to be. A great build for Inq's and Retinue is to go shooty, so say a Psycannon for Him, and 3 Warriors w/ Heavy Bolters. Stick a Sage in to up the Inq's BS, and you have a great fire support base.
With his Hammerhand he's strength 6 striking at normal initiative, With his Daemonhammer it's the same against Daemons (Basically a powerfist if not) and he can allocate his wounds on his acolytes. He's also got a 2+ save. AND he assaults with 5 attacks. That's bound to do something.

I like my GK Squads vanilla as well. It's a shame you don't have more Squads then you could make 1 of them Fast Attack and DS them in.
The other way to use them is to knock them down to 6 Men and add Psycannons, but you already have a firebase if you changed the Inq & retinue.
I was under the impression that grey knights can all deepstrike. I'll check the codex later though.

I understand your strategy for taking this, but if this was my list I would swap it for 2 TLLC/ML Dreads with EA as your anti-tank is virtually non-existant. Been the only Vehicle on the field the LRC is going to cop it from everything the enemy has, and with your GM or Inq in there if it blows, then that's a lot of points trapped or lost.
I have seen a land raider take so much at it, it just aint funny. I might consider swapping it for a couple of dreadnoughts though.

Again, thanks for the help. I'll really think on this.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
What's a BC?
Sorry. Brother-Captain. I understand the reason for wanting a GM as they are awesome. I just find that at 1.5K saving the 84 points by taking a BC as your Hero is a good trade

With his Hammerhand he's strength 6 striking at normal initiative, With his Daemonhammer it's the same against Daemons (Basically a powerfist if not) and he can allocate his wounds on his acolytes. He's also got a 2+ save. AND he assaults with 5 attacks. That's bound to do something.
Not disagreeing with you...just a personal thing. I would rather have my GK's handling assault.

I was under the impression that grey knights can all deepstrike. I'll check the codex later though.
Only the ones in the Fast Attack slot. There's a box in the TROOPS Choices that tells you about it. You still need the 2 compulsory TROOP Choices.
You "can" set a FA squad up as normal Troops though, if you wish to.

I have seen a land raider take so much at it, it just aint funny. I might consider swapping it for a couple of dreadnoughts though.
Totally agree, the much mooted '1 lucky shot can destroy a LR' is correct, but it still has to happen and be darn lucky, doesn't it.
Personally I think standard LR's are better for DH as they help with our anti-tank(AT), at which we suck. A lot of people either go 2 LR's or 2/3 Hellfire Dreads, and it has to be at least 2 of whatever one you choose, so they survive longer by splitting fire.
Me...I also take IST Squads in Rhinos with meltaguns for extra AT.

Again, thanks for the help. I'll really think on this.
[/QUOTE]
No sweat. I'm new to the forum, love my DH (and WH for that matter), and we're all here to help each other aye.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Think of Brother Captain Stern?
He is just a little worse than a grand master, has 2 psychic poweres, hell'o'sweet special rules and maybe put him in a thunderhammer squad(Terms) so he isn't all that vulnerable and deep strike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the CC inquisitor, it just doesn't work in the end. Everyone tries it and inevitably drops it. Hammerhand means you have to pass a psychic test to hit, and that you can only hit once a turn. (on the other players turn you don't get to hit back at all if you used hammerhand) And if you get a perils of the warp w/ inquisitor, he's pretty screwed.

I know it's tempting, but it's just never worth it to tool up and inquisitor for anything but shooting. Another common strategy is to just take a normal inquisitor, put a psycannon on him, and throw him in a squad of GK's. Adds 2 wounds to the squad, only costs 50 points and lets you take an assassin.

good luck!

By the way, when he said BC he meant a normal Brother Captain not Stern. Stern is typically considered a bad version of a GM (grand master) I'd advise against stern, but that is truly a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
310 Posts
you have no where near enough troops. add atleast 2 squads of IST's i like the regular knights but they are really expensive and just dont quite do it for me. i love them as tele attack squads. they are great for disrupting enemy back lines and chewing through shooty squads in the backfield. in 5th edition its all about troops and if those foot slogging knights are wiped out(which is not hard at all.) or are even tied up for a few turns.(it takes a while to break through a large squad of boys, IG platoons etc. then they will be no where near their objectives. also regular knights can only take landraiders as a transport so are very slow. but beside from that i like the list

·
Registered
4 Posts
Firstly, you need to downgrade your inquisitor lord to a normal inquisitor, especially if you are just playing an inquisitor just for the assassins. Alternatively, if you want your IL to be able to survive anything, you need to either give him an icon of the just for the 4+ invul save, or give all acolytes in his retinue artificer armour (it costs less than the normal marines' version of artificer armour!). You would want to take some warrior henchmens instead of the mystic henchman as you don't have any shooters in your inquisitor's retinue in the first place.

As for your grand master, you might consider downgrading him to a brother-captain to save those precious points. Also, your Justicars' nemesis force weapons are power weapons already, so no need to take another power weapon. Give them melta bombs for AT. Your deep-striking marines may want to take an incinerator if there are plenty of terrain cover.

If you like the strategy of deepstriking behind enemy lines safely, bring in some inquisitorial stormtroopers and equip them with teleport homers. About 2 squads of them with chimeras/rhinos will be good enough to confuse the enemy. Then you could bring in the marines/terminators easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts