Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am bound and determined to make a competitive Ork list.

Combined Arms Detachment:
HQ: 225
Zhardsnark "Da Rippa" 150
Painboy on Bike 75

Troops: 931
15 Warbikers 310 (boss nob, PK, bosspole)
5 Warbikers 90
5 Warbikers 90
12 Boyz 112 (Boss Nob, PK, bosspole)
Trukk 35 (reinforced ram, rokkit launcha)

Elites: 268
8 Tankbustas 104
Trukk 30
8 Tankbustas 104
Trukk 30

Fast Attack: 90
Deffkopta 30 (TL Rokkits)

Heavy Support: 280
10 Lootas 140
10 Lootas 140

Fortification: 50
Aegis Defense Line 50

Zhardsnark and the painboy join the big unit of warbikers; scout, turbo boost, get right in the enemy's face so they HAVE to deal with them while the small squads of bikers and boys spread out over the table and sit on objectives while tankbustas and deffkoptas scoot around looking for rear armour. The lootas sit on back field objectives, preferably in cover, and shoot at any flyers or infantry that get in the way

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Seems like a decent kind of list, a lot of fast moving units. But the only real concern i have with this style of list is is the lack of bodies in and ork list only around 80 something, most of which are in trukks which if they explode will often kill half of the boys inside.

The lootas and bikers certainly offer a lot of heavy fire power, along with the tank bustas for anything stronger but still back to the exploding trukks in 7th.

Deffkoptas are always nice as a unit, little but of outflanking murder or objective holding.

But really would need testing to identify if it functions correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definitely agree on the Trukks. As much as I would love to trust them enough to get everything where it needs to be, thats not a realistic expectation. I'm hoping that by taking 5 trukks, at least some of them will get where they need to be.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Well the weakness of the trukks is where personally I've gone more for the battle wagon lists, but they still kind of fall into the same category in the fact that they aren't that hard for someone who is tooled out right to kill, trukks less so with most units being quite able to take one out.

Only other thought i just had in the idea of going down the trukk route is basically get as many as you can along with other light vehicles. so kinda thinking along the lines of the old vehicle rush, 8-9 trukks (troops plus elites) and 9 buggies in squadrons of 3, but altering to that style of list heavily limits your effectiveness and also isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be.

Thats about all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice here. I've never been a fan of warbuggy squadrons (mostly because I hate the models) and don't want to dedicate too many of my points to trukks and transports because I feel it takes away from the physical strength of the army

·
Registered
55 Posts
All around solid list!

Just got a hold of Zhadsnarg myself and am doing everything i can to get a hold on and paint as many bikez as possible.

Concernign the trukks. I always strive to have as many targets as possible. The more trukks, bikez, bw's that is right in front of the noses turn 1, the better. They HAVE to deal with that many fast-moving units. If i had the trukks and BW's I would run trukks for everything.

The only downside with trukks is they are a fairly easy killpoint if you play with killpoints and/or "easy" first blood.

The only concern I have with that list is the deffkoptas. Why in 3 single units? To do objective grabbing? Thing is; deffkoptas are fairly easily killed as well. I usually never run them in less than 3's.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I tend to have a single deffkopta held in reserve, and bring it out late game for objective grabbing. As a jet bike there aren't many objectives it can't reach in one or two turns. Quite handy for last minute snatches, or contesting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I threw them in there because I was hoping to have some fast moving unit that could scoot around and find rear armour on vehicles, along with late game objective holding. My thought with taking 3 individual ones is 1 enemy unit can only kill 1 deffkopta per turn, and they wont suffer from moral checks or mob rule

·
Registered
303 Posts
But if you're just running single Deffkoptas to skirt around and take pot shots, what if they fail to do that? One Rokkit Launcha isn't scary. You can never hope to destroy or wreck a vehicle with just one guy. At least squadrons can glance targets to death.

In the event you pull an all KP mission then those guys are an easy 3.

Overall list looks fine. I would only suggest 'Ard Boyz for the Trukks for when they die (and die they will) then at least the Boyz inside can hopefully survive the coming checks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
But if you're just running single Deffkoptas to skirt around and take pot shots, what if they fail to do that? One Rokkit Launcha isn't scary. You can never hope to destroy or wreck a vehicle with just one guy. At least squadrons can glance targets to death.

In the event you pull an all KP mission then those guys are an easy 3.

Overall list looks fine. I would only suggest 'Ard Boyz for the Trukks for when they die (and die they will) then at least the Boyz inside can hopefully survive the coming checks.
Over all a good looking list. Couple of thoughts that you could try for tweaking it.

To make that bike blob INCREDIBLY durable put in either another Warboss or Big Mek on a bike with the lucky stikk and put him out in front. When you turbo boost with that unit your jink will go to a 2+ which you can reroll if the lucky stikk is out front tanking. Add the pain boy's 5+ feel no pain and that is an incredibly hard unit to move unless they can remove your cover. Granted, you would either not take a CAD and lose out on objective secured OR take another detachment to get the extra HQ slot.

How many deffkoptas you take depends on the job you want them to perform. I usually don't look at deffkoptas as meant to be killing things. I like stripping the occasional hull point or one shotting marines or tau suits with them but I consider that a bonus. Deffkoptas are objective grabbers and harassment units. I generally take them in units of 1 and just cause a ruckus with them. I often position them to basically snipe a T4 3+ character. Myy favorite tactic with them is to soak up overwatch or tie things up in assault so they can't be shooten the rest of my army. That is a really efficient way to use 30 points. That said, if you expect them to kill stuff take them in a larger unit, probably 5 so that they don't run off the board due to low leadership.

·
Registered
303 Posts
^ Where do you get 2+? Zhardsnark with skilled rider can give you +1, and the bike gives you +1 when you turbo charge, enabling 2+. Regular Codex bikes can get a 3+ jink.

I can see that point for Deffkoptas, but I always feel like one guy never makes his points back, meanwhile a whole squad will deal worrisome amounts of fire and soak up enough shooting to buy it back in spades. But then again, everyone has their experiences

·
Registered
17 Posts
You said it yourself. Ork bikes have a 4+ jink standard and when they turbo boost they get +1. A unit that contains at least one model that has skilled rider (Zhadsnark) has receives +1 to their cover save. So, if you add Zhadsnark to a unit of bikes they have a 3+ jink no matter what and if you turbo boost they all get a 2+ jink. Put a Big Mek or a Warboss with the lucky stikk, which allows you to preroll saving throws, and you have a resoluble 2+ cover save. Dread mob update specifically says you are supposed to take Zhadsnark as an HQ choice in codex Orks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts