Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been re reading about Lorgar's trip to Cadia in the first Heretic and it's thrown up something interesting. At the end of his trip he orders the Word Bearers to scour Cadia of life by using Cyclonic torpedoes.

Wouldn't these have destroyed or at least damaged the pylons in some way since they "have the power to ignite the planet's atmosphere and a detonation powerful enough to crack the planet's crust and destabilise the planet's core". This would have devastated Cadia, and if nothing else buried it under layers of lava from the crust being cracked open.

How did the pylons survive or is this just another plot oversight?

BTW I've realise that Cadia's core must have been more stable than Colchis' which actually broke open under the cyclonic torpedo bombardment of the Ultramarines at the end of the Scouring which goes to show how powerful the cyclonic torpedoes were/are.

·
Closet Dictator
3,429 Posts
Depends on the warhead, some are deep surface penetrating melta charges that crack the planet apart others are huge thermo nukes like 500 mega ton devices described in the mark of calth, so I would imagine when Lorgar blasted Cadia it was just surface obliteration using airburst nukes, leaving highly developed structures like the pylons mainly unscathed .

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Necron tech is nigh invulnerable.
Yeah but they could be buried, knocked over, sunk under a sea of lava etc etc. Who knows how they work and therefore what could stop them from working.

Depends on the warhead, some are deep surface penetrating melta charges that crack the planet apart others are huge thermo nukes like 500 mega ton devices described in the mark of calth, so I would imagine when Lorgar blasted Cadia it was just surface obliteration using airburst nukes, leaving highly developed structures like the pylons mainly unscathed .
Ahh, good point, I thought cyclonic torpedoes were only the melta variety but if there are airburst versions that would make sense.

On a different thought, considering the birth of Slaanesh caused the Eye of Terror (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong) which is only around 200 years prior to the Horus Heresy, surely at the time of the events with Lorgar they could only have been around 150 years old (I think Lorgar's trip to Cadia was around 150 years into the Great Crusade, correct me if I'm wrong). The reason I'm thinking this is why would the Necrons build the pylons prior to the creation of the Eye of Terror and why only on Cadia?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Orbital Bombardments are among the most author variable plot points after Primarchs.

They are a worfism. Usually, they are used when an author cannot be bothered to write new content after showing the meat of a fight, or whenever an author wishes to show ow powerful the target hit is.
Lol :grin:

Another musing for me about Cadia is why the Imperial Fists have been never been asked to fortify it considering they're the Imperium's greatest fortress builders. Ok they might not want to man the fortifications but surely having Imperial Fist build fortifications would assist in the overall defence.

Argh, the more I think about Cadia, the more questions I have :grin:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Lol :grin:

Another musing for me about Cadia is why the Imperial Fists have been never been asked to fortify it considering they're the Imperium's greatest fortress builders. Ok they might not want to man the fortifications but surely having Imperial Fist build fortifications would assist in the overall defence.

Argh, the more I think about Cadia, the more questions I have :grin:
I think somehwere I read that a bunch of the pylons are in ruins, but still function "mysteriously". Don't quote me on that though.

And the IF thing, good point, perhaps they advised and left and there just hasn't been a story written about it yet? Let's go with that. :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
Ahh, good point, I thought cyclonic torpedoes were only the melta variety but if there are airburst versions that would make sense.

On a different thought, considering the birth of Slaanesh caused the Eye of Terror (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong) which is only around 200 years prior to the Horus Heresy, surely at the time of the events with Lorgar they could only have been around 150 years old (I think Lorgar's trip to Cadia was around 150 years into the Great Crusade, correct me if I'm wrong). The reason I'm thinking this is why would the Necrons build the pylons prior to the creation of the Eye of Terror and why only on Cadia?
If memory serves, the Heretics used Cyclonic Torpedos on Isstvan III... first the virus bombs to reduce organic matter to goo and vapor, then the incindiary type to light it up. That still provided the Loyalists on the surface the ability to survive and fight on, with some of the human-built structures at least partially standing.

I'd also give a big vote to the staying power of Necron construction. When it comes down to it a number of the Necron Tombworlds are still seismically active and the tin pots are still waking up after 60+ million years. I remember reading from one of the older Uriel Ventris books or possibly one of the Blood Raven's books about the tombs themselves being buried under lava and the buggers are still getting out and surviving.

Regarding the pylon construction, it's established (I have no idea where) that the Necrons built pylons all over the galaxy, but didn't finish their grand design that would have possibly cut the Milky Way off from the Warp. It's debatable that the Cadian pylons were constructed with the foresight that the Eldar would both relatively win the long war, dominate the galaxy, and fall into ruin in exactly that spot.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think somehwere I read that a bunch of the pylons are in ruins, but still function "mysteriously". Don't quote me on that though.

And the IF thing, good point, perhaps they advised and left and there just hasn't been a story written about it yet? Let's go with that. :D
Thanks, I read on the 40K wiki that some of the pylons are in ruins but I don't trust it totally as it doesn't state where it got the information from.

Good idea on the IF, it's such a huge plot oversight maybe there are plans to rectify it at some point. :)

If memory serves, the Heretics used Cyclonic Torpedos on Isstvan III... first the virus bombs to reduce organic matter to goo and vapor, then the incindiary type to light it up. That still provided the Loyalists on the surface the ability to survive and fight on, with some of the human-built structures at least partially standing.

I'd also give a big vote to the staying power of Necron construction. When it comes down to it a number of the Necron Tombworlds are still seismically active and the tin pots are still waking up after 60+ million years. I remember reading from one of the older Uriel Ventris books or possibly one of the Blood Raven's books about the tombs themselves being buried under lava and the buggers are still getting out and surviving.

Regarding the pylon construction, it's established (I have no idea where) that the Necrons built pylons all over the galaxy, but didn't finish their grand design that would have possibly cut the Milky Way off from the Warp. It's debatable that the Cadian pylons were constructed with the foresight that the Eldar would both relatively win the long war, dominate the galaxy, and fall into ruin in exactly that spot.
I thought that they only initially used Virus bombs on Istvaan and only when the traitors finally withdrew did they use cyclonic torpedoes? I'm not sure though so if someone can correct or confirm that would be great.

Good point about the Necron construction and thanks for the info about the pylons all over the place. It's a pity more of them can't be constructed to seal off the warp storms. With it already established in the Grey Knight codex that the Grey Knights and Necrons apparently work together, hopefully this plotline can be used at some point. It was touched on in Malleus in the Eisenhorn trilogy but I would love it to be expanded on further (along with the Imperial Fists and Cadian Fortresses plotline) :)

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
There are various different examples of orbital torpedoes. Virus bombs to kill all organic life, magma bombs to break the planet's crust and cause tectonic upheaval, and the cyclonic torpedoes that set the atmosphere aflame.

As Vaz said though, they seem to be quite variable amongst authors, but there have been times when all three have been mentioned as part of the same bombardment. I think Perturabo may have mentioned it when recalling the destruction of Olympia, and as mentioned, a combination was used on Istvaan.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One of the rulebooks ( maybe 5th) mentioned microscopic stress fractures appearing in the pylons indicating the surge of chaos
Ahh yes, which would indicate the only thing capable of destroying them is Chaos itself, argh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts