Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so there seems to be a differing of opinions on another thread about which is better. Some people think cycling is for pussies (Jez) lol.

I personally dont agree with this, some of the worlds greatet athletes are cyclists, lance armstrong, miguel indurain alberto contador and the likes.
Cycling up mountains is no easy feat with the likes of the alpe dehuez in the tour de france. Some of these mountains the cars are not aloud up as they are so steep and only motor bikes are alowed to follow the riders.

So peeps this is a chance for you all to voice your opinions.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Did I say cycling is for pussies? Or was that Noisemarine?

Well, Jez's point still stands. Cycling is for PUSSIES!
I have no issue with you posing the question but don't make false allegations.

In response to your question.

No cycling is not for pussies. But for fat fuckers trying to lose weight its the easy option and not even worth considering. I was talking to my personal trainer a few weeks back, he looked over at some fat cunt monging it on a bike and said "I gave that guy an intense and effective training routine 2 weeks ago... now all he does is wastes his time sitting on that bike".

I look over and there he is pedalling slow as fuck watching the TV. Taking the easy option. In a year when I'm more shredded than I am now that fat fuck will still be sat on the bike wasting his time. He's there because it makes him feel better about eating burgers... not because he has any intention of training hard.

Don't drag professional athletes into the debate either, they're hardly the standard you can base an opinion on. It's not like Billy Big Bollocks in East Ham - London is gonna jump on his bike and toodle up a nearby mountain is it?

·
Registered
127 Posts
hey i cycle and i'm a little podgy but it's no get out clause, i ride hard.
at the moment i'm training for a cycling event (76 miles) i do every year now.

i use a bike cause it's fun and were i live it's nothing but hills so there's no easy riding especially the tracks i take.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Did I say cycling is for pussies? Or was that Noisemarine?

I have no issue with you posing the question but don't make false allegations.

In response to your question.

No cycling is not for pussies. But for fat fuckers trying to lose weight its the easy option and not even worth considering. I was talking to my personal trainer a few weeks back, he looked over at some fat cunt monging it on a bike and said "I gave that guy an intense and effective training routine 2 weeks ago... now all he does is wastes his time sitting on that bike".

I look over and there he is pedalling slow as fuck watching the TV. Taking the easy option. In a year when I'm more shredded than I am now that fat fuck will still be sat on the bike wasting his time. He's there because it makes him feel better about eating burgers... not because he has any intention of training hard.

Don't drag professional athletes into the debate either, they're hardly the standard you can base an opinion on. It's not like Billy Big Bollocks in East Ham - London is gonna jump on his bike and toodle up a nearby mountain is it?
Completely agree. Plus no one stated which type of cyling we were merely talking about gym bikes and a normal bike ride. To lose weight and get fit running is the best method. unless you are permenantly running down hills it is really hard work to get up to a good level of fitness and stay there.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Out of the two I guess running has more benefits but I would also argue that it is worse for your cartilage too. I do both. Mainly a commute on my bike and a bit of a jog every week (better than a slap in the face). They use different muscle groups and if you change the terrain you traverse you will inevitably work more muscles.

Actually I thought swimming was meant to be the best since it supports your weight (cartilage) and offers more friction to move against than air. I guess the point is to do a bit of everything and not too much of one thing.

Mind you, you could always try...

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
By direct comparison cycling burns more calories than running and is less damaging to joints,of course like any excercise how you do it and for how long plays a huge part.
Best exercises for burning is circuit training or rowing(more muscles in use), though one of the best im currently doing is digging and laying a patio.
Is cycling for pussies? no, sitting on your ass getting fat is for pussies, getting up and doing any form of excersise and getting results is very worth while.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
I have fairly weak knees and took up swimming - I can safely say that it works very well for weight loss and general wellbeing, I would recommend it to anyone looking for an effective exercise.

I havent tried running, I find my legs end up feeling "shocked" I presume some good footwear would solve this.

As for cycling, I really think it depends on how you approach it, sitting on an exercise bike does not equal exercise, but try and tell someone doing spinning that its not a viable exercise regieme. As Jezlad said, its really how you approach your exercise - all exercise methods can be done in a way soo lax that they have little to no effect (other than psycological which in itself has health benefits), you got to try to achieve something - and in my case I am very glad I did - I feel more healthy, am loosing my beer gut and combined with massive caffiene reduction (5-8 pint cups a day to about 1.5) I feel much more alert

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts

·
Like a Bawss
4,111 Posts
If you're trying to get into shape, either cardio or fat-burning, then running is, in theory, the best option.

Cycling in itself as a workout doesn't get enough muscle groups in the whole body, whereas running does. It works your arms, shoulders, legs, etc (assuming you pump your arms when you run and don't hang them limp-dick by your sides... which would actually look pretty amusing, now that I think of it). Cycling is pretty much legs only. I only ever cycle as a warm-up and cool-down for my lifting sessions that focus on legs (squats/leg curls and extensions/calf raises etc) to help reduce the likelihood of getting fucked up. I never do it as a workout in its own right, as it simply won't do the job unless you turn the resistance up to 'metric-shit-ton.'

But, you're right in that running is much rougher on the joints. In itself, it's not necessarily an exercise you should do every day for long periods of time, as it wears down the cartilage. Not to mention, the lack of variation on a plan of "I'll just go run for 4 miles a day everyday" is also not the best solution. You need to switch it up, do interval running one day (sprint 1/4 mile, walk/jog for 1/8 mile, or 60 seconds of sprinting followed by 120 seconds of walking/jogging to get your heartrate back down), and maybe a long, slow 6 mile run the next (slow meaning 9+ minute/mile pace), and maybe a good 3-4 mile decently paced run the next (< 9 minutes). While working different muscle groups, both aerobic and anaerobic muscles, it will still be tough on your knees.

Something I do to make sure that, when I'm an old fuck, I can walk without extreme amounts of pain, is do the elliptical machines out there. They get you the same full-body workout that running does without the negative side effects of the impact. The major problem wish this, however, is that it often gets your muscles used to a shorter stride, which can be problematic if you run with the goal of a quick time/competitively.

Swimming is also excellent as primarily a cardio workout, as it too works on all muscle groups. If, however, you are a shitty swimmer... then it's not exactly for you. I don't have easy access to a pool, so I can't say I use this method too much.

In short, switch the shit up. All the exercises have benefits and drawbacks to them. Keeping them varied keeps you from getting bored with the same thing

Yeah... that was long.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cycling isn't great for loosing weight, but for the mere fun of it. Running is better than biking any day of the week if your trying to loose weight.

As for the cycling is for pussies thing, NoiseMarine is the only one who ever made the comment, not Jez.

I stand by biking as being a far more fun form of getting around, way more fun than driving or running. Also its the best for being a hooligan in the night, no fat fucking cops can catch you if you make off through yards and into the woods

·
Registered
127 Posts
The idea that cycling only works your legs is stupid, you've obvious not been on a decent ride. Do some of the tracks I do and you work much more as you try to stay on your bike.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I don't know if this counts as 'cycling', but if it does then definitely not for pussies :wink:

Watching this really makes we want to ride my bike, shame it's 11.30 :(

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Well if we are talking about cardio here I have to give a shout out to good ol' staircases. At the gym, my preferred method of cardio is the stairmaster, and not just walking up it either. Running intervals up that thing is the most difficult bit of cardio I've ever done and I'm really excited next year because my apartment is on the fifth floor of the building so plenty of running opportunities there.

Eh... sorry if this is too off topic but where would you all see this versus cycling and running? I've found running stairs in intervals to be an awesome cardio workout and takes less time to kill me. I think it's killer at least. :victory:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Cycling does work the arms. When cycling properly (on a city bike at least), you use your arms to "lift" your front wheel for greater speed and control. It is at least as good as the arm pumping action when running, so that point is moot.

Still, triathlon is the best.

·
Registered
118 Posts
lol, i saw this thread and giggled. my missus cycles 18 miles a day, 5 days a week to get to work, and let me tell you shes no pussy! all weathers, wind, rain, snow, the recent heatwave in northamptonshire. shes a star really. :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i bummed a great workout system off one of my airforce buddies. here's the link:http://www.beachbody.com/product/fi...nity.do?tnt=INS_CTP_A1&code=GETINSANITYDOTCOM

Its called Insanity and it fucking rocks. Its intense as hell and i've seen awesome results.

no cycling included, cause cycling's for pussies. :stinker:

CP
Hehehe :grin:.

Running with half my body weight on my back, carrying a rifle and extra ammo is definitely more hard work than cycling , i use cycling as a nice bike ride on a weekend and the only thing that really hurts is my ass when it goes numb from the seat, however, i would imagine road biking and proper mountain biking is a completely different experience i just prefer running because it feels like im putting more effort in.

Anyways speaking of...off for a run now :biggrin:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Assuming that you aren't tabbing about, rifle in hand the answer is:
Neither- Man up and get on the free weights.

[Arnie] Pain is veakness leaving da body [/Arnie]

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Cycling is a really good low-impact exercise which will give you a great cardio workout. If you just want to do some cardio cheaply and effectively its a great option.

Aramoro

·
Registered
941 Posts
mountain biking on the side of a cliff is hard work, trust me, it is!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts