Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll get right down to the point; I'd like to run a campaign set in the galactic east with the Imperium trying to reclaim a sector, and the sector trying to repulse them, with orks, chaos, eldar, etc. all fighting with their own objectives in the area. I need some help doing this though, as I want to improve upon the first campaign that was held 2 years ago in the same area. I'd like to give each race something to do, to make their role seem more important than "lets get as many kills as we can in the time alloted," as that seems so.. bland. I want this campaign to have a personality, some excitement. I'll be providing the images and most of the text involved (some is still being written), and I have a website designer I know who's agreed to help put together a basic site for this and I have hosting space available for said site. I'm planning weekly fluff updates from a historical point of view, however to be frank I am having troubles finding a replacement writer (my previous one went to uni and is now too busy with schoolwork to help. Understandable, but unfortunate)

I'm really only asking for 1, maybe 2 people at the most to help me, as I want to improve upon my skills in this area. The potential calendar time for this campaign is set for 2-10 months from now for a Fall or Summer campaign, depending

I'll see what kinds of questions I can answer, but you must understand that I don't want to give away too much information (surprises for the campaign will be so much fun)

·
Registered
206 Posts
what kind of personality do you want to add? cause me and a friend are setting up a campaign, were actually going to be writing alot of our rules and systems tomorrow and we'll probably post them

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
first think of reasons why each faction would want to be there
SMs &/or all other IoM: reclaim former territory
CSM: chaos lord ___ is attempting to become a demon prince & therefore needs to cause lots of carnage
Tau: expansion (this therefore requires that this scenario to be in the galactic south east
Necrons: recent activity awakens a tomb world
etc etc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first think of reasons why each faction would want to be there
SMs &/or all other IoM: reclaim former territory
CSM: chaos lord ___ is attempting to become a demon prince & therefore needs to cause lots of carnage
Tau: expansion (this therefore requires that this scenario to be in the galactic south east
Necrons: recent activity awakens a tomb world
etc etc
oh-ok, if you're thinking about those things, then yes, most of what you have there is relatively accurate;

* the Imperium now has proper time to divert resources and time to reclaiming a mineral rich sector from heavy chaos and ork forces (while the sector tries to repel the Imperium, chaos, and Ork forces)
* chaos are trying to find an ancient artifact that is rumored to give the wearer the ability to bend time and space to their will (only rumor)
* Tau aren't involved yet (6,000 light-years away, and 1,000 years in the past)
* the necrons are trying to prevent warpstorms from consuming specific worlds for future plans
* orks are trying to expand their empire in the area and whack a few 'umies
* Eldar have to defend I think its called a maiden world (?) from Ork attack
* Dark Eldar are simply trying to cause havok and gain more slaves, etc. (for the moment)
* Tyranids need more biomass (forgotten fleet, 1/6 the size of hive fleet behemoth)

so, hopefully that clears up at least some questions

·
Registered
206 Posts
well i dont know because u said "I want this campaign to have a personality, some excitement." so i was wondering what you mean by Personality

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i dont know because u said "I want this campaign to have a personality, some excitement." so i was wondering what you mean by Personality
lol sorry, when I typed that out I just wanted to avoid having a campaign that's bland, flavorless, straight up "run into their lines and do as much damage as possible", you know? In an ideal campaign, I'd hope this campaign to be more than that, I'd like to add subterfuge, assassination, ambushes, etc. if at all possible, a real fun campaign for people to participate in

·
Registered
206 Posts
holy crap, thats a huge group, so how is it that victory will be achieved? they way im trying to work it is we ( a group of 4-7 players) will have a map of the universe with planets labeled as owned by what ever race. victory being achieved by one side capturing the enemy's capital, and that could be made easier by alliances (made and broken with attention to story line, ie the imperium is in a perminate alliance, but the tau can ally and betray the eldar at will) does that make sense?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see your approach, but with this one I am aiming more for across between an Eye of Terror and Battle for Armageddon -style campaign. Each planet involved will have several warzones that which the player can opt to attack and contribute to his chosen races progress, and each planet will have several things either helping or hampering their progress to make the campaign more interesting (harsh weather in this particular area on that planet for example denies the use of skimmer vehicles of any kind; ie ion storms, or because of excessive rain all infantry movements are done as if being moved through difficult terrain, the same with vehicles)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
potentially, however the campaign is evolving on a daily basis right now while in the "war room," so it might be that certain areas of the sector might be under attack by different countries, however if I guesstimated the last number of worlds involved in the 1st campaign, I think there was as many as two dozen different worlds being involved? so if things stayed like that, imagine having anywhere from say 6-8 different areas to attack per world, with two dozen worlds to attack? granted, while each race won't be able to attack any world they want because of simple restrictions, that's still a lot of worlds to attack, and a lot of fluff being developed for the players, and for the campaign's storyline

·
Registered
206 Posts
i like that system its not too complicated but makes for engaging play. though, if i may make a suggestion, u may consider upping the stakes in a way. you might want to give some of your battle sectors more value, ie a motor pool so the owning race will be able to out fit all or some (that part is up to you and dips in to balancing) of their tanks with different tracks so they will b able to move normally in rain situations. things like that

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no I understand where you're going, but surely you knew I wouldn't be divulging everything about the campaign on a public board? especially if I wanted to keep things interesting and have a surprise or four in store

stakes will indeed be high, objectives will be available for all necessary forces, the storyline will be enticing, and there will be plenty of images and fluff to go around to make things enjoyable. Also expect several surprises in store when the website goes public later next year :secret:

·
Registered
206 Posts
hahahaha of course not! well if it isnt too much trouble keep me posted on whats going on, id like to see how that goes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, as of this moment I only have an artist, a web designer, me, and an old colleague helping me write some fluff, so my original request still stands from this thread; I am still seeking to gain 1 or 2 additional people to help organize the campaign, but I would prefer people who have had experience with campaigns

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Not to be a downer but I think you'll have more luck running a local campaign with your own group than trying to organize anything along the lines of GW's worldwide campaigns. It's hard even for a huge company to run one of those so I can't imagine what a hassle it'd be for four or five people, even if the scale was considerably smaller.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not to be a downer but I think you'll have more luck running a local campaign with your own group than trying to organize anything along the lines of GW's worldwide campaigns. It's hard even for a huge company to run one of those so I can't imagine what a hassle it'd be for four or five people, even if the scale was considerably smaller.
just because someone says "it'll be tough to do," does that mean you should give up? :wink: I don't expect to even come remotely close to the numbers that Games Workshop has had for previous campaigns, we're talking tens of thousands of players, and here I am saying I'm aiming for 100+ over multiple countries. Who's to say this won't work? Maybe it will, maybe it wont, but I'd surely rather try and have fun doing it than sulking because it may not have worked

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
just because someone says "it'll be tough to do," does that mean you should give up? :wink: I don't expect to even come remotely close to the numbers that Games Workshop has had for previous campaigns, we're talking tens of thousands of players, and here I am saying I'm aiming for 100+ over multiple countries. Who's to say this won't work? Maybe it will, maybe it wont, but I'd surely rather try and have fun doing it than sulking because it may not have worked
My point was mostly that you shouldn't be disappointed if it flops.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts