Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading Horus Rising, and there is a part where he is given a message through his Master of the Body Guard, the soldier isnt named or mentioned again, but it says that he is in golden Custodes armour My question is did Custodian's also guard Primarchs, or is the figure mentioned simply in similar armour?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
To add on to Barons post, ordinarily it would be high-ranking marines from the primarchs legion who guarded the primarch. EG a salamander honour guard body-guarding Vulkan

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
it showed that he had taken a personal interest in that fleet's progress.
Or that he wished to monitor their progress or make sure they didn't fall out of line, as was the case with the Word Bearers for the final fifty years of the Great Crusade.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I was reading Horus Rising, and there is a part where he is given a message through his Master of the Body Guard, the soldier isnt named or mentioned again, but it says that he is in golden Custodes armour My question is did Custodian's also guard Primarchs, or is the figure mentioned simply in similar armour?
Don't remember custodes being present in Horus Rising it might be an Imperial Fist.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Don't remember custodes being present in Horus Rising it might be an Imperial Fist.
it might have been seeing as Dorn was present after Garvi became a mournival son. the only time i saw custodes mentioned was when Horus was in his ahem erebus entuced hallucination and i am guessing in that vision that was Valdor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Its on page 215 of Horus Rising:

"...the master bodyguard, a massive Astartes in gold custodes armour...."

He was guarding the entrance to Horus' private sanctum

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
in that case Chand i am guesing as Horus was first Prmarch amongst them all and the emperors favourite i guess he got a Custodes bodyguard...

·
Registered
28 Posts
in that case Chand i am guesing as Horus was first Prmarch amongst them all and the emperors favourite i guess he got a Custodes bodyguard...
I thought the wording was strange though. While its clear Abnett was alluding to a Custodes, he also names him specifically as an Astartes. Perhaps Abnett just doesnt differentiate in the two

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I thought the wording was strange though. While its clear Abnett was alluding to a Custodes, he also names him specifically as an Astartes. Perhaps Abnett just doesnt differentiate in the two
well either abnett was having a bad hair day and got the two mixed up as he is usually quite clear about it or Horus really did have a custodes bodyguard or one of his bodyguards wore amour similiar to the Custodes to denote his stauts as the master of the Primarchs bodyguard but i thought that honour usualy went to the First Captain and his terminators:security:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, I thought it usually did fall to them... Also, another thing that confused me here is when the mournival is speaking with the captains of the Imperial Fists and one of them says they have been chosen to go and become the Emperors Praetorians.
Why would he need the Imperial Fists to become body guards as well, other than Dorn securing the Palace? Were there not enough Custodian Guard?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
think the fists were being recalled to Terra to play home boys for a while, i never got that bit either but if i remember rightly this was about the time the Emperor withdrew from the crusade...anyone else know?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I assume some of the work was either too difficult or too time consuming for semi-skilled or servitor labor to construct. In "Mechanicum", Dorn is talking with an important Terran official. As they're walking by a large, decorative entrance, Dorn mentions that if his Imperial Fists do the work, it'd take only two days to renovate it into a unassailable bastion. I assume other workers would take longer. As time was short...

Also keep in mind that the Imperial Palace itself covers an entire continent. Even a Primarch would find himself hardpressed to organize, build, and fortify every square inch of a continent, much less the rest of Terra as well.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Yea, I thought it usually did fall to them... Also, another thing that confused me here is when the mournival is speaking with the captains of the Imperial Fists and one of them says they have been chosen to go and become the Emperors Praetorians.
Why would he need the Imperial Fists to become body guards as well, other than Dorn securing the Palace? Were there not enough Custodian Guard?
Considering the Great Crusade was nearing its end, that the Emperor had already returned to Terra, that the Emperor wished the Imperial Palace turned into a fortress, and that Terra was the official homeworld of the VII Legion (the CV notes that after the Crusade the Primarchs and Legions were to become administrators and deterents, and to police the Imperium) it only seems logical that the Imperial Fists were recalled.

We can also speculate and suggest that perhaps the Emperor wished to maintain a sizeable Astartes force at the heart of his empire now that the conquest of the galaxy was nearing its conclusion, maybe to consolidate his power and authority. Or perhaps he wanted to maintain an entire Astartes Legion on Terra because of the risks that utilising an active webway gate brought with it. There are suitable reasons there if you look around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts