Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now planning a Guardians of the Covenant army (Successor chapter in the new DA), dammit! I didn't want to do Space Marines again, but it seems here I go again...

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Ah so its not just me then.
Although I have not been drawn in by the new Dark Angels I have just started tinkering with my 12th marine army. Every time I get rid of a Marine Army I just end up getting anther one.

Nice to see you have gone for a sucessor Chapter, what are the colours?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll probably start them up soon. The Guardians of the Covenant are boltgun armor, black on the inside of the shoulder pads, and they are completely robed with red robes, which was what really sold me on them the black and metal with red robes looks sharp.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cccp_one said:
im tempted to do a pure ravenwing army. i love the models and im pretty sure that theyll look great with the minimum of effort. shame tho, yet more money i have to spend..
I hear you... I just started a Tau army, have my World Eaters... last thing I need is a Marine army, but I can't help myself. I do like the Ravenwing, but my buddy will be doing them. The Guardians will be minimum effort but should great as well with only boltgun, black and red to paint.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Yes, DA characters are actually listed inthe regular HQ section and they mention in articles that this was done speciffically so that there'sno doubt that they can be used whenever you want.

I'm actually toying with the idea of putting together a mixed RW/DW army, onnaccount of having about a dozen old pewter termies that aren;t seeing use in my BA armyh. I wonder if I can come up with a successor chapter backstory that would explain why they paint thier speeders blood rad though... ;-)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not entirely up on DA fluff, would a Successor Chapter have full access to the Deathwing and Ravenwing, or would they have thier own version within the Successor Chapter? Just curious on a fluff standpoint. Not sure if Successor Chapters have an organization that mirrors its Parent Chapter.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Basically its up to you on the background of the chapter if its of your own creation. You don't actually HAVE to make it a sucessor chapter, or have a background that runs parrallel, just one that is similar enough to represent the army you want to use them as. Obviously you should try not to do a colour scheme that is confusing, and always let your opp know what rules your using before the game if it isn't obvious.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
True, I;ve seen lots of people (back with the old dex) using the Deathwing rules to represent the first compny of various other codex chapters.

Back to the heart of the question though, your successor chapter can pretty much be anything you want, so long as you use either the parent codex or the SM dex (but not both). Fluffwise, you could either set them up with their own versions of the RW/DW or concievably put them under the jurisdiction of the real RW/DW. I haven;t read the new dex, but the blurb in the latest WD says that the Inner Circle have authority over even the successor chapters (which, considering how secretive they are, that makes perfect sense) so it;d make sense for a successor chapter to either have their own RW/DW that are members of the inner circle, or to call on the services of the main one.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ravenwing......sweeeeeeeeeet

Beats the cheesey Deathwing armies for coolness any day.

·
Registered
475 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts