Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things that's always been a little frustrating with 40K is the whole Igo/Ugo mechanic. Our local group is play testing the following supplement for the standard 40K ruleset and I would welcome feedback.

Here's the link: http://warhammertactical.wordpress.com/rules/

And here's a brief summary of what we're changing
  • Alternating activations
  • Troops can get more firing if they stay stationary
  • Units under 50% strength can "mob up"
  • New rules for how snipers work
  • Squadron rules eliminated (you can still take them though)
  • You can take multiple reaction tests (pinning)
  • Vehicles have a leadership value and can break
  • Changes to how tank shooting works
  • Losing all your hull points causes you to lose 1 leadership
  • Return to 5th ed damage table
  • More destructive defensive fire
  • Revamped flyer rules

Please let me know what you think and if you play test I'd love to hear what works and what doesn't

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The second goal of the ruleset is to provide a basis for some modern war stuff I'm working on (Taliban vs French Foreign Legion) --- I like the "disposable heros" ruleset for historicals, but it's a little too focused on stun locking your opponent rather than removing models from the table. The bolt action rules are cool, but I really don't like the randomness of the activation - it leaves too much to chance... So we wanted something more in the vein of the Warhammer mechanic and this grew out of the discussion.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
It is less that and more the fact that shooting has been king for awhile. I don't have any real issue with it, just know that it is counter to the general mindset behind some armies.

The quick response was because I assume your summary of your ruleset would be accurate for the ruleset.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually have a buddy with over 10K worth of 'Nids we want to test this with. I'm not sure how it will work though... I think the solution will be to play some games and then give the 'Nids player some extra points to work with to balance it out if they can't hang. The intent isn't to have a tournament with the ruleset, but to see if it's balanced and doesn't break the game (any more than it already is) I played really competitively in 5th ed and I was fairly burnt out and started messing with historicals... Unfortunately, after playing some historical game systems, I just can't stand the Igo/Ugo mechanic any longer.... but I have a couple of thousand dollars tied up in this hobby so I'm not keen on abandoning my minis either... So our solution was to come up with about 5 1/2 pages of rules to modify 40K into something closer to force on force / tomorrow's way / disposable heros etc.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Cheers, man! I'll give some comments on a Wh40k mindset :)

Asymmetric Warfare:
love the idea. Could use that for some of my Wh40k campaign scenarios ;)

Combat Teams and Joining other units:
kinda complicating the game. Should limit this to same entry unit (meaning eldar banshees with other eldar banshees alone and not say, cultists with chaos space marines obliterators). Otherwise can be fun, and really game changing!!
Suggestion: the "combat squad could go to more "organized" armies or units (US army, Space marines, Chaos marines) and the latter "regroup" could go to less organized and more mob-like armies (Imperial guard, taliban, orks, tyranids, cultists)

Snipers: cool! basically they will become an "heavy weapon team" i like this.
I don't agree with the "completely uneffective vs vehicles". Historically and even nowadays snipers can be desruptive to vehicle crews, preventig the manning of small defensive weapons on turret, "blocking" hatch opening and generally blastin' anyone that comes out of the tank. This should be represented somehow.

Vehicle Squadrons: yes, please :)

Unit Activation: don't like it, but i can see it work. Difficult to make it compatible with wh40k. basically you should alternate during phases. meaning i go movement for htis two units, you go movent. then i go shooting and you go shooting etc. the whole reaction thing can be easily fitted. About "initiative", imo, that could be a d6 roll, plus a fixed value different for every army. the bigger the bettter. Say, IG +1, Eldar +4, SM +3, CSM +3, Orks +1, etc.

Assault: not giving assault moves seriuosly hampers assaulty armies. an assault should be a particular form of movement, maybe, giving you a d6 more or something like that. Otherwise it's just useless to get into assault (slow, getting wasted by reaction fire...)

Psychic Powers: piece of cake

Flyers: a nice nerfbat to the flyiers. Dunno. Should be playtested to see how it goes. basically you are conceding Interceptor to each and every Skyfire unit..mmh. seems a bit too much... maybe this "free interceptor" could be eith -2 to BS or just Snapshot?

Reserves: hell, i like this! much more tactical flexibility!

Reactions: CLT40k

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neferhet, thanks for the feedback....

Snipers - Perhaps keep it as normal - Rending on a 6? For vehicles, I was thinking to avoid the whole unbuttoned vs buttoned up mechanic that you find in a lot of rule sets for WW2 - but if our local group gravitates towards unbuttoned then a sniper killing the commander or driver could really work.

I like your comments around the assault phase.... We'll playtest it out, but I agree with you.

Activation - Hmmm.... that might work and help streamline larger point games... I'll give it a try... I'm trying to stick with the alternate activation like you find in a lot of other games, but I could see that being pretty cool too... Especially if we did all movement at once, then alternated shooting, then did all assaults. One of the reasons to alternate shooting was to reduce the effectiveness of the alpha strike, but there isn't any reason you couldn't incorporate... cool idea....

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
My pleasure to help. I'm happy that you found my suggestions useful :) About the activation thing i suggest you to give a read at old EPIC rules. They worked in a pretty hefty way ("newer" games such as Confrontation or Dust didn't invented nothing at all, they just used the EPIC system...)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Asymetrical warfare is obvious in real life where you want to minimize your own looses and maximize the enemy's. When evenly match armies meet it is of blind chance. Therefor I think it would be fun to deploy simultanesly whithout looking at each other. Put a blanket over the board. But for any unit that has scout or infiltrate USR you may look at the equal number enemy units being deployed.

I also think the old strategic value should be brought back when determine who goes first SV+D6. All races have a value between 1-4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts