Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Veterans!

I was thinking after reading a thread where a member asked for advice since he was losing intrest in the hobby. We veterans has been here long enough to know that this happens to all of us one time or another but we have fought through and have come back for more.

Now I thought of a thread where we could share our knowledge in the matter. Where are the pits and tripwires that pulls us down and away from the hobby? How did we get through? But I was not sure to start such a thread. It should be in some kind of General Hobby section but then I thought anew. And this is why I now summons you all. If we share our tales here, then we can collect a great deal of rutine for newbies to tap into from the very start. A resource for them that we had to learn the hard way. This way we can keep them in the hobby and ultimately, on Heresy to add their bricks to what is the best wargaming forum on the ether!

Let's start brainstorming! Where did you go wrong? How did you get back? And what do you do not to fall again?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
IMO, there is no "quick fix" to cure hobby boredom. What I find that puts me in that mood may be different for someone else.
For me though, there are a few things:
1. Too much too fast. I bought a TON of models for a DA army. Painting 50 tac marines and 30 DW terms plus vehicles got old for me real quick. To fix that, I boxed up most of it and put it up on a shelf and am working on it unit by unit. Currently I'm doing my RW part of the DA army, which brings me to #2-
2. Missing parts. When it comes to logistics, I like everything organized and cataloged. So when I started to put my BlackKnights together but the weapons (plasma guns and hammers) were not in the right box, I spent over 2 hours tearing my room apart looking for them. Finally, I sat down and looked them up on GW. I didn't buy the right box sets to fully make the model. Man was I pissed! I have 30+ bikes sitting here and 5 BlackKnights, but don't have the stuff to make them. So yesterday, went and bought 3 boxes of the RW command squad. Now I can make them PLUS I have 9 extra bikes now!
Also, was working on my UM detachment (specifically, the Thunderhawk) and found that I've somehow, misplaced some highly needed parts. That model is currently shelved until the parts turn up and I'm working on something else.
So for this part, I would say keeping your stuff organised and together is the way to go. When you start mixing units (the not put together parts that is) in boxes together, that's when things are going to start becoming confusing as you try to figure out what goes with what.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
SOmetimes i gat bored by the paintwork since i am overwhelmed by the quantity of it. i still have to paint 70 infantry models plus a full 2000 pts of Dark Eldar (not counting half gothic imperial fleet and a full epic space marines chapter...)
I'd say that a big problem i buying without planning. And of course, having noone to play with, discuss with or just share some painting time with.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that one. When I first got into this hobby anew I bought like everything I found off ebay that was more that half-GW-prices. Then suddenly I got like 3000p total split between three armies. I did not know where to start. I never looked at it for three month then sold more than half of it and began to paint. Not to get to hot on things i one advice you could give.

Also, as a writer of some sort I once heard a professional writer say that whenever he feels he is in a flow he stop writing for a day or two. This way he forces himself to long back to the writing. He said that if you empty yourself of all flow and good ideas you have it can take a awful long time before you feel the same again. Never empty yourself.

·
Closet Dictator
3,429 Posts
Take a break is my advice, and do one thing at a time, likd others have said I have a tonne of grey plastic crack to get through and it is overwhelming, take a break, think about what you want to achieve and wait for the hobby itch to grt under your skin again

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
I've been suffering hobby fatigue recently too.

So I started a new project. No, really. I cleared everything from my desk that's been languishing there unfinished for months on end and started up a completely new project. I'm not doing all that bad with the first unit either :good:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, to keep you occupied with serveral projects you can switch between if you get bored of one. Just make sure to put it away so you don't see it Evertdagen and get frustration at it.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Changing up what you're painting on a regular basis can help keep it fresh. Don't attempt to paint a pile of infantry in one go. Do a squad, then a vehicle, then maybe a single HQ mini.

Keep you're to-do stuff out of sight. Nothing is more disheartening than that sea of grey staring up at you from your work table. Just leave out what you're working on.

I have found having something going on in a different system can also help. Sometimes painting the same colour over and over gets tedious. Giving yourself a break from that particular system, if only for as long as it takes to paint one unit, can be enough to keep your edge.

Plan your projects, but don't go gang busters on them. Build your initial list, even if only in your head, and buy only your first unit or two. If the reward for finishing a unit is that you get to buy another one, rather than just open a drawer and take it out, you will find yourself that bit more motivated. We all know that feeling of wanting to get that new box home and started on straight away. If you buy two or three at a time you lose that feeling for the second or third unit.

Treat yourself. If a new mini comes out for an army or system you don't play but you really like it, buy it and paint it up anyway. That way you won't feel like your current project is holding you back. Nothing worse than resenting your army half way through.

Take a break if you need to. Sometimes you just need to step away from the hobby for as long as it takes to get that itch you can't resist to sit back down and grab a brush.

It's taken me 25 years of hobbying to learn these lessons. Because of them I am currently in the middle of my longest unbroken period of hobby activity, coming up on 5 years now. Hope some of them help someone else.

·
8,723 Posts
I've also taken to building Lego again :laugh:

Seriously, it's just a bit of childish fun. Buy a kit, dump all the parts in a massive pile, and just nibble away over an evening whilst watching the tv or a film etc. :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've also taken to building Lego again :laugh:

Seriously, it's just a bit of childish fun. Buy a kit, dump all the parts in a massive pile, and just nibble away over an evening whilst watching the tv or a film etc. :)
Dammit i just got rid of all of mine !!!!!

I think its easy to see the common pattern here is for everyone to take a break and im no exception. ive been going on and off in this hobby since i was 12 (30 now) and its easy to get bored fast. Loki and Khorne 's Fist also hit it on the head.
Its better and easier going when you are organized and keep only one or two projects out at a time.

But I also try and break up the monotony with Netflix. Watching old series or TV shows just to give you something else to distract you from what your doing(background noise is more like it. don't ever be distracted while wielding a scalpel blade.) If the TV doesn't seem like a safe option or you fear you might get too distracted put on an Audio book or listen to some music. (preferably something upbeat). And dont sit down for 10 hour painting sessions. I know many of us can or have at some point sat down and painted for hours and hour but seriously don't. You will burn yourself out and quickly. Try instead to paint for an hour or 2. then leave your work area for 15-30 minutes (long enough to play some WOT matches or whatever you fancy) and then come back to it. Your work will almost certainly be better off for it.

Lastly I want to address something i have seen happen to alot of hobbyists (at least in my area). letting yourself get stressed out over the hobby is a really quick way to get bored of it. If you're stressing about making a painting deadline (especially one you set for yourself), or because you are constantly having rules arguments or discussions on tactics and what have you then (and this is more an opinion than fact so don't hang me here) you're Going about the hobby all wrong. I dont particularly enjoy arguing about something that I like doing on my spare time. it seems counter productive to me.

anyways that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
a wage rise could help to get more involved, i think...:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Have a second hobby. For instance, I create digital art when I'm not building plastic models, andthere's always the more relaxing option of a few video games to fill in the time too. :gamer2:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
do kids smell like plastic?

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
I'd say set small goals and try to stick to them (though don't stress if you can't), like painting a small unit of infantry in a week or two. Then find projects that really interest you - for me that was modeling trees out of wire and putty. Watching TV while doing any of this also really helps break the monotony.

·
8,723 Posts
You could try spicing it up by doing naked converting, nothing likethe feeling of jeopardy you get using files and crafts knifes in harms way of you old fella, plus if you get bored you can play hoopla with your penis and clippers
Gold. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts