Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. While my GK project is still underway and making progress (new completion pics incoming soon!), I have also picked up a few tangent projects along the way. They are all prepared and primed for painting. I will post all the WIPs and finished pics in this single thread for the sake of simplicity.

Here are some random pieces in no particular order.

26 Nov 13 - Imperial City sprues looking all daunting

17 Nov 13 - Custom Red Scorpions capt: Salvaged Sicarius alternate model had it's claws cut off :wild: so I drilled out his head, cleaned up claws and drilled into them adding magnets for future "possibilities", added RS brass bits overtop filed markings, and a new backpack. Recently assembled and primed black. wildcard model.

Week of 26 Nov 13 - Predator fix-up and magnet work: This pred came to me as part of a SW lot I bought. Wasn't assembled too well and everything was superglued in place, lots of glue spillover everywhere. Simple green bath 1 day, broke everything off with some damage, brown stuff quick fixes and dremel sand down, drilled w/ dremel and manual, magnets, and voila! Not amazing salvage work, but that'll do. Uneven spots and glue spillover will be painted with new corroded metal citadel pot. Turrent hinge took some creativity. The chassis crossbeam was easy enough, but had to brown stuff around the magnet. It looks odd, but it works and I may weave electrical wires all inside the opening later. On the actual turret I stumbled into a solution. I popped off the superglue container inner cap lining, trimmed it, SG'd a magnet onto it and squeezed it into the turrent opening. It's wider than any of the holes so it floats. Works perfectly to keep the turret in place while I don't need to worry about the chassis magnet height/alignment.

Stay tuned. Many more pics soon!

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Ah a fellow second hand buyer. I feel your pain re the superglue, why some people feel the need to drown their minis in it I will never know. You've done a nice job on the pred, vehicles in particular I've found can be difficult to save sometimes. One thing I would always recommend doing when dealing with putty and flat surfaces is running a file over them once the putty has dried, often it really is amazing the difference.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
And you, young Necktie; we shall watch your career with great interest.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I look forward to c&cs. So here's some new stuff from the past 2 hours.

30 Nov 13 - Kaldor Draigo conversion: A year ago I stumbled across a surplus FW Moloc (Minotaurs) mini and bought it with every intention of proxying it as Draigo. The goal was to connect the theme to my GK captains (still need to take lightbox pics) who all have spartan helms. Also, Moloc is a badass fig. Anyway, instead of just using Draigo arms I got brave this afternoon and gutted the poor bastard. I will use the Moloc legs on an inquisitor model...I have an upper body that may become Darkhammer. Anyway, I am by no means a sculptor, but hopefully after the epoxy dries a thorough dremeling will smooth out the cape and armor abs. Then I will rebuild the belt and magnetize. Also plan on doing a magnet two-stage base where a massive scenery platform can be removed during gameplay. Sidenote: kitbashed paladins pre-primer pictures coming today or tomorrow. Sorry about the flash it doesn't work well with glossy or metallics, but last pic has flash removed. Final product will get lightbox treatment. Enjoy!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Another addition to the pot. On fire right now! lol

30 Nov 13 - Inquisitor Emil Darkhammer: In one of those magical hobby moments of unintentional harmony, the chopping of Moloc and his leftover legs gave purpose to my unspecified inquisitor body...which put me onto Emil Darkhammer (one of the few inquisitors with concept art). The harmony part comes in when I found an Inquis "I" back ornament (GK), a psyber eagle (Coteaz), and a scope (storm) bolter (Deathwing). Back deco and arms magnetized. Still need to add a few bits and file down the cape so it ramps into the armor, but the meat is there and I'm really happy with the similarities.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
That is some tasty re-sculpting tight there! :shok:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That. Is. Awesome. The pose looks so unique I can't stand it haha Are you going to do something with the bull decorations on the legs to make them fit with the body better?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
MOAR! :victory:

01 Dec 13 - Draigo complete: Did a quick piece by piece rebuild of the belt with bits and brown, magnetized and improvised. Bottom of cape has magnet for easy painting and base switching. I'm really happy with the result. Looks large and mean. Primed and washed version later today.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That. Is. Awesome. The pose looks so unique I can't stand it haha Are you going to do something with the bull decorations on the legs to make them fit with the body better?
Thanks! The other leg is pretty standard Imperium/Inquis design. I've thought about the bull since I had the model (shaved the right shoulder pad), but I'm thinking I may do some light epoxy work and convert it into a demon skull. The elongated snout works quite well as a demon face. We'll see what ends up happening. I'm still planning on adding a sheathed powersword (somewhere!) and a bunch of embellishments. I also need a sweet overthetop left shoulder (see the concept art). It will pretty much anchor the final concept. Suggestions welcome...even from CSM catalogue.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Thanks! The other leg is pretty standard Imperium/Inquis design. I've thought about the bull since I had the model (shaved the right shoulder pad), but I'm thinking I do some light epoxy work and convert it into a demon skull. The elongated snout works quite well as a demon face. We'll see what ends up happening. I'm still planning on adding a sheathed powersword (somewhere!) and a bunch of embellishments. I also need a sweet overthetop left shoulder (see the concept art). It will pretty much anchor the final concept. Suggestions welcome...even from CSM catalogue.
The demon idea sounds like it would be great for the leg. As for the shoulderpad, maybe the horned skull from the Chaos Terminators box would work?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good call. That's exactly what I mean. Maybe one of the EC heresy shoulders as a base with some really intricate monastic bit added on top:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well at least one of us is confident lol. alright off to the dreaded task of taking a dremel to a pewter coteaz's head nub to make a hole. blarg. will post conversion of this GK generic Champion primed along with Draigo and a whole gang of Termie/Pallies. so close to finishing the grind work I can taste it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sick of me yet? :suicide: This weekend is the only one conversion heavy. I like to batch everything out and I'm very close to finishing the build/customize cycle. I have 3 weeks to go until Xmas break and my plan is to have everything primed and ready for painting so I can focus only on that. Alright...

01 Dec 13 - GK Brotherhood Champion: Coteaz body convert with lots of random pieces and a bit of brown work. No magnets. Custom spartan head to match Crowe (will be pictured later). I like how the bulky Coteaz armour has a gladiatorial feel to it, which matches the champion idea well. I said it'd be pictured primed, but I need to wait for it to dry and cure a bit first. Almost out of Army Painter Plate and I need to maximize the last bit on a lot of kit. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Alright. Last bossman of the night.

01 Dec 30 - Justicar Thawn: Kitbash using GK and Deathwing kits. Torso is different than GK terms to indicate special nature. Same for weapon. No SB, but that was an aesthetic choice. I'll just say he has two single barrel bolters built under his wrists lol. Wing build explanation below. Always imagined Thawn with massive wings on account of fluff and I have to say he looks menacing. Can't wait to paint. Once I prime all of today's dudes I may do a GK HQ low-qual family portrait; seeing as Mordrak, Stern, etc. are painted. Long day almost done. For Titan! haha

This last one isn't really a model WIP shot, but just shows the construction. Very simply, I was gifted two salvaged pegasus wings, strangely clipped. I knifed off more at the seams so I could get to some clean plastic. Small piece of sprue drilled with a pilot hole and sheared at the ends to make sure ends were flat/clean. Plastic glued wings on so I had more dry time to adjust and clip them. They're not perfectly symmetrical, but few things are in nature so it's not a huge deal. I took a GK paladin back bit, filed down and fitted to sprue piece before gluing. After a few minutes of wing drying I plastic glued deco bit on and so forth. After about 15mins I fit tested on model and then applied lots of superglue around the joint, waited like 15s, then with a freshly ripped piece of paper towel I dipped into the corners where SGlue had built up. That's what I do to avoid losing details when superglue dries. Still some brown stuff work to be done to transition wings into the armor back, but still thinking about my approach. I know wings aren't organic, but not sure if ghostly/spectral or mechanic. Either way the hard part's done.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Jesus you are a power house of conversions aren't you! Really like the Draigo conversion and I fully support the idea of the EC shoulder pads. I'm sorely tempted to use them myself on my Minos.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts