Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Necron codex, it says that so far only two of the four remaining C'Tan have reawaken. The two listed are Nightbringer and Deceiver. That means there are two more we don't know of yet, assuming they don't count the Void Dragon as one of the last 4, which would of course mean there is only 1 left (stupid Emperor). Would I be able to make my own C'Tan, using one of the existing C'Tan entries as a template? Obviously I would want to keep it fair, so it would be expensive. Is there any way to give Special Rules a universal points cost? How is a fair way to make this happen? and would you play against a custom C'Tan (not tourney of course).

·
Registered
247 Posts
It would depend on the rules. But it's hard to assign the SR a points cost. The void dragon I believe is one of the 4 as well.

But would love to see the modelling of one.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
In friendly games you can do whatever you like, ALL rules in the BRB and codices are optional. The most important thing is to have fun.

If you want to play it at clubs or tournies then you won't be allowed to unless: a) the model you make is about the same dimensions as the current C'tan and b) you use the exact rules from one of the C'tan in the codex - effectively playing either the Deceiver of Nightbringer in all but name.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The Void Dragon and the Outsider are speculated to be the remaining 2 C'Tan. If I remember the fluff right, Void Dragon is on Mars (imprisoned by the Emperor), and the Outsider is trapped in a Dyson Sphere either built or co-opted for the purpose by the Eldar.

That said, I don't suppose that there would be a problem with your playing your own, undiscovered 5th C'Tan in friendly games and with the consent of your opponent. But I'd forget trying to play him in tournament :biggrin:

Edit: Wow. I guess I walked away from this thread for longer than I thought. darklove hit it on the head.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The four remaining c'tan are the nightbringer, the deciever, the void dragon and the outsider. So if you want to stick to the fluff the only one you could make is the outsider.

Fortunately the outsider has very little written about it, so you get a bit of freedom when designing rules for it. One common theme within all the information about it is that the outsider is insane. It consumed a fair few of its fellow star gods but remnants of them were left within the outsider, driving it mad. It is also mentioned that those who drew close to the outsider went mad aswell, and many killed themselves rather than face it.

On a gaming side, I wouldn't mind if a buddy of mine made his version of the outsider, as long as he gave me notice that he was going to use it (after all you need to play test it to get the points right). I wouldn't allow a stranger to use his own created unit/character in a non apocalypse game though, I'd want to play a few games first.

There isn't really any way to allocate rules a points cost, game designers probably have some ideas but not us mere mortals. All I can recommend id stick close to the existing c'tan and either increase or decrease the points as you add/remove/change things.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Where does everyone get all this info. Seriously how do we know the Void Dragon was inprisoned by the Emperor on Mars (though its clear one is on Mars, gogo machine god lollie rolf). And Dyson? How on earth do you trap someone in a Dyson sphere. "I'm just ganna go feed on this star.. hmm whats with the unbelivably huge plates of metal thats being put around me? eh i'm hungery I'll figure it out later."

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Where does everyone get all this info. Seriously how do we know the Void Dragon was inprisoned by the Emperor on Mars (though its clear one is on Mars, gogo machine god lollie rolf). And Dyson? How on earth do you trap someone in a Dyson sphere. "I'm just ganna go feed on this star.. hmm whats with the unbelivably huge plates of metal thats being put around me? eh i'm hungery I'll figure it out later."
Its true that a C'tan being on Mars is conjecture, here is a spolier thread discussing it >> spoiler thread from Mechanicus book <<

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Besides, it is strongly rumoured that C'tan will be removed from the next Necron codex as a playable unit outside of Apocalypse games - and replaced by more flexible Lord options.
I would be ok with that. Its weird using a "god" but not to its full potential. I'd rather see the Necron Lords get a rehaul to have more options. When I play, I like to imagine I'm the C'Tan in charge.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
From a strictly fluff perspective, the c`tan rarely take command of a necron army.

Gamewise, as Darklove said you can basically do whatever you want if your opponent is okay with it. The important thing to remember is not to get carried away when writing rules, a trap I have seen many fall in to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts