Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
mmh..well, first of all i'd say that the point limit per section is bullshit, but "your tourney, your rules" :)
About the list:
Get rid of the plagueridden, it's not truly necessary. The portagliph is ok, you can spam small scoring units, which is awesome.
The 2 cultists unit...are just awful in this list :) you could use some marines with special weapons, since you will spam units from the portaglyph. How can you find points for this. well..i don't know :laugh:
Honestly i'm not a fan of using allies at 1000 pts. BUT.
The warpsmith could become a lord...with Sigils and poweraxe and meltabombs. same cost, extra antitank and combat usefulness. Put him into a cultist unit and go hunting.
The rest is pretty straightforward...with allies you are almost forced to stay with the current setup. And don't be too worried by a single land raider: your raptors can dispose of it pretty fast.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on some of the answers from the Daemon forum of this list, I've reworked it a bit and came up with 2 alternatives:

LIST 1

HQ
Typhus

TROOPS
20x Plague Zombies
15x Plague Zombies

FAST ATTACK
Heldrake w/ Baleflamer

HEAVY SUPPORT
Forgefiend, 2 Hades Autocannons, Ectoplasma Cannon

ALLIES

HQ
Herald of Tzeentch, Psyker Lvl 2, Exalted Reward (Portal Glyph)

TROOPS
10x Horrors of Tzeentch

Aegis Defense Line

TOTAL POINTS: 1,000

LIST 2

HQ
Chaos Lord, Mark of Slaanesh, Aura of Dark Glory, Lightning Claw, Melta Bombs

TROOPS
6x Noise Marines, 5x Sonic Blasters, Melta Bombs
6x Noise Marines, 5x Sonic Blasters

FAST ATTACK
Heldrake w/ Baleflamer

HEAVY SUPPORT
5x Havocs, 4x Autocannons

ALLIES

HQ
Herald of Nurgle, Fecundity

TROOPS
10x Plaguebearers

HEAVY SUPPORT
Soul Grinder, Daemon of Nurgle, Phlem Bombardment

TOTAL: 999 pts

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Why not use a combined?

Personally I think list 2 is looking great, but I would probably take the Tzeentch Herald and pink horrors instead of the Nurgle ones. With the massive amounts of firepower in list 2, and a Divination psyker with re-rolls to hit, you would have alot of flexibility on which unit needs it most for the chosen round.

Beyond that, if you want to keep the lists as is, I would definitely go with list 2. Heldrake AND Soul Grinder? Yes please!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Why not use a combined?

Personally I think list 2 is looking great, but I would probably take the Tzeentch Herald and pink horrors instead of the Nurgle ones. With the massive amounts of firepower in list 2, and a Divination psyker with re-rolls to hit, you would have alot of flexibility on which unit needs it most for the chosen round.

Beyond that, if you want to keep the lists as is, I would definitely go with list 2. Heldrake AND Soul Grinder? Yes please!
I was thinking of doing that actually. The reason I chose to put plague bearers with the Slaaneshi lord and Noise Marines was to use them as a T4 FnP barrier to advance both noise marine squads and the lord forward. That and their plague swords are handy if you need to dispatch of a MC or a pesky landraider that just wouldn't go down.

EDIT: I know for a fact that I'll probably end up facing a GK player who loves to run a landraider with thunder hammer termies. And at this stage I have little to deal with that

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I am not sure how it works with allies, but can you put a Slaanesh lord with a Plaguebearer unit? In the CSM codex at least, you cannot mix marks in a chosen unit. Even though they are 2 different armies, I'm not sure you can actually put a Slaanesh dude with the Nurgle dudes.

Besides, if you get a Landraider against you, charge it with the Soul grinder and it will go splat. Iron Claws are nice that way! :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lord can't join the plague bearer unit, but they can provide him with cover saves from line of sight, which is what I was aiming on doing.

I'm relatively new to using Soul Grinders, I sort of figured they should just hang back behind cover and Phlem the crap out of enemy deployment zone. Do they last long out in the open? (I had terrible experience with Defilers in the 6th)

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I'm relatively new to using Soul Grinders, I sort of figured they should just hang back behind cover and Phlem the crap out of enemy deployment zone. Do they last long out in the open? (I had terrible experience with Defilers in the 6th)
Personally I've had had great success with a offensive Soul Grinder. A AV13 walker with a 5++ save (re-rolling 1's if you make it a Tzeentch, or having a permanent 5+ cover if you make it Nurgle) can wreak havoc on the battlefield. Especially seeing as it has 4 attacks on the charge, with a STR 10 and hitting at initiative 3.

I used to use them as a backline unit as well, but these days I usually bring 2; One for backline and one for "in your face, ripping it to shreds".

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
HQ
Typhus
At this point level he is a gamble...i'd say no to him and rather would go with a nurgle lord on palanquin to go with a big blob of cultists
TROOPS
20x Plague Zombies
15x Plague Zombies

FAST ATTACK
Heldrake w/ Baleflamer

HEAVY SUPPORT
Forgefiend, 2 Hades Autocannons, Ectoplasma Cannon
the ectoplasma cannon is just 25 points wasted with the amunt of twinlinked and dakka you can get with the herald and the 2 fiends. you will shoot maybe 2 times with it...save points :)

ALLIES

HQ
Herald of Tzeentch, Psyker Lvl 2, Exalted Reward (Portal Glyph)
let's be honest. you just need him for the twinlink primaris divination power and the glyph. Drop the second level, i'd say and keep saving points for beefing the chaos cultists units

TROOPS
10x Horrors of Tzeentch

Aegis Defense Line

TOTAL POINTS: 1,000

i feel this list to be too squishy and static. you have nothing bar the drake and the fiends that can kill stuff...and the fiends are not going to last long, being so obvious a treath.

LIST 2

HQ

TROOPS
6x Noise Marines, 5x Sonic Blasters, Melta Bombs
6x Noise Marines, 5x Sonic Blasters

Those guys can just become 5 noise marines with blastmaster. much more useful. they don't even need to walk the board to rape things.

FAST ATTACK
Heldrake w/ Baleflamer

HEAVY SUPPORT

ALLIES

HQ
Herald of Nurgle, Fecundity

TROOPS
10x Plaguebearers

HEAVY SUPPORT
i like this list. No cc bar the small nurgle unit and herald and lots of dakka. Ap 3 like its christmas, ignore cover, lots of str 7 shots, good antiair, 3 blast weapons (if you take blastmasters). Only 2+ armour spam will put you in danger.
TOTAL: 999 pts
Yes, i'd say go with the second list. all the day. You could aswell use slaaneshi daemons to have some rending nastyness...Herald of slaanesh with etherblade and 10 daemonettes should be the same cost, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I may have been a little more lucky than usual, but I played two games with a Soul Grinder last night, and in one of them he walked across the table directly towards a Godhammer Landraider eating the lascannon shots for breakfast before punching it to death - front AV13 combined with 4HP and Shrouded and Daemon saves makes for a very tough cookie.

On the other hand, on game 2, he died to a Drop Pod Meltagun in the rear armour (bastard managed to just squeeze a pod in between my bubblewrap horrors and the table edge).

I personally think they can be used both as combat threats and long range artillery depending on the enemy and board situation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may have been a little more lucky than usual, but I played two games with a Soul Grinder last night, and in one of them he walked across the table directly towards a Godhammer Landraider eating the lascannon shots for breakfast before punching it to death - front AV13 combined with 4HP and Shrouded and Daemon saves makes for a very tough cookie.

On the other hand, on game 2, he died to a Drop Pod Meltagun in the rear armour (bastard managed to just squeeze a pod in between my bubblewrap horrors and the table edge).

I personally think they can be used both as combat threats and long range artillery depending on the enemy and board situation.
In game 1, how did your soul grinder deal with the hammers that emerged out of the wrecked landraider soon after?

Yes, i'd say go with the second list. all the day. You could aswell use slaaneshi daemons to have some rending nastyness...Herald of slaanesh with etherblade and 10 daemonettes should be the same cost, or am I wrong?
I believe so, how would you run the herald and daemonettes, just the ether blade and no other upgrades? Deep Strike or walk?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Advise on daemons: soulgrinders are an auto include for allies to csm, I haven't even lost a hull point in months using two in my daemons list and one in my csm tzeentch list. Take nurgle, and phlegm and enjoy. Try positioning a few legs behind a ruin when the head is still visible for shooting, enjoy 2+ cover saves lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok how about this?

HQ

TROOPS
5x Noise Marines, Blastmaster, Melta Bombs

FAST ATTACK
Heldrake w/ Baleflamer

HEAVY SUPPORT

ALLIES

HQ
Herald of Slaanesh, Ether Blade

TROOPS
10x Daemonettes, Allures, Ether blade

HEAVY SUPPORT

TOTAL: 1000 pts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
In game 1, how did your soul grinder deal with the hammers that emerged out of the wrecked landraider soon after?
There weren't any. Otherwise it would have been a Crusader, and it would have been in my lines turn 2, thereby obviating the need to survive 2-3 Lascannon shots to the face for 3 consecutive turns.

More generally, my plan for Hammernators is 32-40 Pink Horrors with Prescience/Flickering Fire Heralds and Banners...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Why on earth shoot terminators with horrors? I see a plus with number of shots but ur just giving them FNP every phase u would one. With ap2 so easy to get and daemonettes wrecking termies horrors I would only ever shoot at light transports.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Ok how about this?

HQ

TROOPS

FAST ATTACK
Heldrake w/ Baleflamer

HEAVY SUPPORT

ALLIES

HQ
Herald of Slaanesh, Ether Blade

TROOPS
10x Daemonettes, Alure, Ether blade

HEAVY SUPPORT

TOTAL: 1000 pts
Very good list. being this a shooty list i'd use the daemonettes as a homebase defenders. otherwise you migh want to walk them in cover or deepstrike them to get that midfield objective, cleared out by fire support.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know how it goes

PS: Any tips on dealing with Dark Eldar spam and their weapon range abuse?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know how it goes

PS: Any tips on dealing with Dark Eldar spam and their weapon range abuse?
Baleflamer + blastmaster + phlegm. Done. :laugh:
If I recall correctly nightshields do not affect blast or template weapons. Might be wrong... @MidnightSun should be needed here, for this.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Baleflamer + blastmaster + phlegm. Done. :laugh:
If I recall correctly nightshields do not affect blast or template weapons. Might be wrong... @MidnightSun should be needed here, for this.
Correct.

Night Shields are awesome, but have no effect on your anti-tank guns. Use Lascannons and Autocannons (so the guns you'd use to take down vehicles anyway), and you'll be golden. Yeah, you get decreased range, but Dark Eldar's guns are 36" range max, while yours are 42". Night Shields are a bitch to Rapid Fire or Melta weapons, but don't actually help againdt ranged anti-tank.

Noise Marine and Heldrakes result in a pretty easy auto-win against Dark Eldar.

Midnight

1 - 20 of 22 Posts