Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have play 40k almost 2 years I mainly play Nids, now I want to make 2nd army. I pick army based on fluff mainly.
Which army is better to pair with Nids? I mean when my friend want to start 40k I can show them how to play with my 2 army and have balance game. I already spend alot for my Nids, so my 2nd army I don't want to spend like my Nids.
For CSM I can buy dark vengeance box and convert all model to nurgle and Typhus. Maybe add Heldrake or chaos dark vengeance expansion.
For GK 2 box of terminator, librarian, draigo and one or two dreadknight(s) already alot of point.
need your opinion to decide
thanks

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
I think Grey Knights are pretty lame. In terms of rules and abilities they're good, but I think their look and their fluff are weaksauce. I can't really give any more details; I don't use them.

Nurgle FTW. You can easily use green stuff to convert any Space Marine mini into something touched by Nurgle. As you say, Dark Vengeance minis would work perfectly. You can find them on eBay at a very fair price. As a bonus, Chaos Bikers with mark of Nurgle are a very good (but not broken) unit. I think you'll get a pretty decent starting army with those minis.

You mention a Heldrake, which is a great unit. A couple of Rhinos to protect your troops and move them around the table are pretty crucial, as well. I would buy a few additional bikers, and convert one into a Nurgle marked lord to lead your force. From there, you can play a few games and think about what you're missing and what you'd like to try out. Forge World has some great units such as the Fire Raptor, Hell Blade, and Relic Sicaran tank. Chaos Space Marines are probably not going to win against the cheesiest armies out there, but with a solid list you can hold your own.

Grey Knights aren't overpowered, from what I can tell, but they are pretty solid. You probably wouldn't go wrong choosing them. But you'd be a loyalist dog, and I'd have to claim your skull.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would say nurgle are a good to group with nids and lets face it gk's are just cheese
I also think that but if I get Nurgle and Nids and show it to new people, they will probably ask "Which one is the good guy?" and I would answer "This one is the bad guy and the other one eat everything, so you decide". People already get used to good guy vs bad guy, that's why I consider GK.

I think Grey Knights are pretty lame. In terms of rules and abilities they're good, but I think their look and their fluff are weaksauce. I can't really give any more details; I don't use them.

Nurgle FTW. You can easily use green stuff to convert any Space Marine mini into something touched by Nurgle. As you say, Dark Vengeance minis would work perfectly. You can find them on eBay at a very fair price. As a bonus, Chaos Bikers with mark of Nurgle are a very good (but not broken) unit. I think you'll get a pretty decent starting army with those minis.

You mention a Heldrake, which is a great unit. A couple of Rhinos to protect your troops and move them around the table are pretty crucial, as well. I would buy a few additional bikers, and convert one into a Nurgle marked lord to lead your force. From there, you can play a few games and think about what you're missing and what you'd like to try out. Forge World has some great units such as the Fire Raptor, Hell Blade, and Relic Sicaran tank. Chaos Space Marines are probably not going to win against the cheesiest armies out there, but with a solid list you can hold your own.

Grey Knights aren't overpowered, from what I can tell, but they are pretty solid. You probably wouldn't go wrong choosing them. But you'd be a loyalist dog, and I'd have to claim your skull.
I don't agree with you on "lame look", I think they are the best look on space marine old school knight look pretty awesome and they kill Daemon!(ups i dont mean that). They are the only chapter that interest me the most (second space wolf, because they are the vikings!).

Yep, Dark Vengeance is very cost effective. Convert all the Dark Angle into Chaos and Cultist into Zombie, and add Thypus.

Ok 2 votes on Nurgle so far
and do the Dark Vengeance expansion box worth it? the one that you get terminators and warp talons

·
Registered
358 Posts
dark vengence can be ok but i have it and didnt really use much of it with my army u just need to work out what u want to have and if it fits go with it

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
This is the SAME decision I was making when I started 40k. I went with Nurgle CSM because I love the idea of rotting space marines that wield plague magic and have zombie cohorts.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
This is the SAME decision I was making when I started 40k. I went with Nurgle CSM because I love the idea of rotting space marines that wield plague magic and have zombie cohorts.
And you are in a death metal band! Death metal+warhammer=chaos (or nurgle)

·
3,351 Posts
Exactly. I'm not a fan of bolt thrower, but yeah.

·
3,351 Posts
I bet Nurgle marines would enjoy Carcass or cannibal corpse.

I on the other hand, prefer my death metal a little more melodic, e.g. dark tranquillity, (old) in flames, arch enemy, or Therion.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I bet Nurgle marines would enjoy Carcass or cannibal corpse.

I on the other hand, prefer my death metal a little more melodic, e.g. dark tranquillity, (old) in flames, arch enemy, or Therion.

I like the more melodic stuff too, old school stuff is fun, and my heart lies deeply with Asphyx. But my absolute favorite, barr none, is Hyporisy.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Papa Nurgle IMHO, you can literally use everything from the DV box with little conversion. GK would cost you much more to collect and everyone already plays them.
Also there are no good guys in 40k , just degrees of acceptable corruption.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Eh... Blind Guardian works well for a 40K soundtrack, well a sound track for any thing to be honnest.

But anyway back on topic!

FOR CHAOS!

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Vote for GK here. I've spent probably less than half as much on my GK than on my old Ork army and it's twice the points value without a doubt. That's not great on the table, but it's great on the wallet.

Locally, at least, there have always been a bajillion Nurgle players while there have only been a couple of GK players even when the 5th edition book hit so I like that side of playing a niche army. That said, if you do a Nurgle army really well, you'll still be in a minority group of players if you want that kind of thing.

GK also have a way better Allies Matrix; in case you ever want to branch into another army but want to do it gradually while still playing games with your growing army, or you think your Codex is missing that one thing that really scratches your gaming itch, GK have a lot more options for that kind of thing than Chaos.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Vote for GK here. I've spent probably less than half as much on my GK than on my old Ork army and it's twice the points value without a doubt. That's not great on the table, but it's great on the wallet.

Locally, at least, there have always been a bajillion Nurgle players while there have only been a couple of GK players even when the 5th edition book hit so I like that side of playing a niche army. That said, if you do a Nurgle army really well, you'll still be in a minority group of players if you want that kind of thing.

GK also have a way better Allies Matrix; in case you ever want to branch into another army but want to do it gradually while still playing games with your growing army, or you think your Codex is missing that one thing that really scratches your gaming itch, GK have a lot more options for that kind of thing than Chaos.
That's something to think about. GK ally naturally with any space marine army, Astra Militarum, and Inquisition. Chaos tends to like... chaos, so Daemons and CSM ally well.

I still am in favor of chaos but branching out from your start point isn't a bad thing to think about. But don't overwhelm yourself like I did when I began, haha.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
That's something to think about. GK ally naturally with any space marine army, Astra Militarum, and Inquisition. Chaos tends to like... chaos, so Daemons and CSM ally well.

I still am in favor of chaos but branching out from your start point isn't a bad thing to think about. But don't overwhelm yourself like I did when I began, haha.
Chaos also has a large depth to its collection though, with the number of different unit types (and the whole Trator Guard via IA13..)

But Iam Biased.

GK does have the whole Armys of the Imperiumness so they can include Kights and the like...
But they do have issues finding narrative reasons for some games though.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Chaos also has a large depth to its collection though, with the number of different unit types (and the whole Trator Guard via IA13..)

But Iam Biased.

GK does have the whole Armys of the Imperiumness so they can include Kights and the like...
But they do have issues finding narrative reasons for some games though.
Indeed, there is more than enough variety within Chaos to keep you entertained. Chaos is basically 5 aesthetics in one (4 gods and undivided) on top of all the legions out there.

I am a fluff player, so Chaos works much better with that. The armies, fluff wise, can be pretty mobile and show up in various situations. Odds are, GK are there for one reason, Chaos is afoot.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I am a chaos man as well. I always wanted CSM's from the start. I branched out into nids for a while but they did not hold my interest. In the end my second army became guard, done up as traitors. With the more recent developments they can play as the chaos cultists or as part of an allied force. Gave me exactly what I wanted. Two armies that would play well as allies or opponents. Even though I have not played or worked on my armies in a long time they are still the ideal combination for me.

·
3,351 Posts
Odds are, GK are there for one reason, Chaos is afoot.
That's the interesting thing about the "bad guys." Villains are proactive. Heroes are reactive.

In a story the bad guys are usually the ones who want to change things and remake the world. Heroes are the ones who stop them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts