Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Putting together my first 40K army. Chose CSM and looking to go Nurgle.

So far I have:

Daemon Prince with Mark of Nurgle

20 Marines with MoN
10 Cultists
1 Rhino

I will soon be getting a Heldrake as well. But I need to fill out my army a bit. What would you guys suggest?

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,443 Posts
What kind of play type/points value are you looking at? Heldrakes are a great addition in any army. Nurgle bikers have t6 for 24 points of the top of my head. A big unit of nurgle terminators all with combi-plasma's are very expensive but hard to shift and make a great 'delete unit'. Cultist zombies make great objective holders if you bring typhus. But we really need to know what you are aiming for to give you really helpful advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for anywhere between 1500 to 2500. I know, a huge variation on points, but that is what I am looking for.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Look at the unit entry for Typhus. He can turn cultists into zombie for free--and they gain Fearless, Feel No Pain, and Slow And Purposeful (but lose their pistols and can't buy any options besides "more zombies").

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Lots of zombie lists doing the rounds at the moment. I just got my mantic games 'Zombie Apocalypse' box through the post to use as them, as I don't have to worry about non-GW models now that there are so many gaming clubs in my town. :) Cool models by the looks of things.

Their only purpose is to hold objectives, tarpit and stumble across the battlefriend looking for "Braaaaiiiinnnnssssssss".....But they are quite good at that. You could also run them as MSU's - say 4 units - along with some Plague Marines, to really mess with your opponents target prioritisation. As long as you have plenty of covering fire from Havocs, Oblits etc and some fast units to make up for their slow and purposeful (like bikes, heldrake etc), it should work well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sorry for quality of pictures, don't have my camera on me today (just the cell). That is what I have thus far. I did just order another set of 10 Marines and a Daemon Prince.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have no idea how any of you guys start a list, but for me i use this as my core:

chaos lord- MON + X2 plague marines squads of 7

a list like this gives you plenty of room to adapt eg: rhinos+havoc launchers,plasma guns & something for your chaos lord.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sorry for jumping in late on this. HoratiOTFH, you mentioned that you ordered a DP. What I have found is that this dude can get pricey very quick. I usually run my Prince as MON, PA, Sorc, and give him some wings. This makes him slightly more durable being able to fly and increasing his toughness, but honestly I have never made my points back with my DP.

Death monger had a good point with the way he starts a list also. Decide what you will have to get your army onto the board legally and then start to go from there. If you have someone you game with that is willing to do it, playtest different HQ and troop combinations to find out what works best for you. Figure out a way to proxy stuff and begin to push plastic on the tabletop while rolling dice so you gain a feel for what fits your style. This will save you money and time getting your army together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Death Monger - That is a great idea! I should start doing that.

Migtymouze - That probably is a better way of doing things! Haha, been kind of brain dead recently just thinking about getting enough troops for an army. But, you are right. I know I lead a table top gaming group here in my area, we should start doing something of that nature. We have just been running small "Kill Team" types of scenarios.

·
Registered
51 Posts
and increasing his toughness
He doesn't get the buff from the mark of nurgle it is from the daemon of nurgle special rule so no +1 to toughness: just shrouded, Hatred (tzeentch) and slow and purposeful. The cover save is immense esp. for taking jink saves, if Flying MC's do get that: I am not sure but I was told so at my local GW but for Nightfighting anyways those lascannons are gonna have a bad time.

I do agree though: I rarely bring a DP just purely based on the amount of points he is but he can be worth it as a "retard magnet" esp. if he is given the black mace and with that cover save while sitting behind cover he could possibly soak up alot of fire from the rest of the army.

·
Registered
37 Posts
thanks for mentioning me mgtymouze:so_happy:. i to have a nurgle army myself and would like to give you some of my wisdom:
1. plague marines are worth it, and try always to give your chaos lord MoN so you can field in comfort.
2. nurgle psychic powers are mind blowing! sorcerers are worth it if you have some spare points.
3. if you get typhus, you may as well get hordes of plague zombies but remember, he also makes plague marines troops as well OMG:shok:. also, he has one of the few precious daemon weapons grasp!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts