Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to come up with a unique named IC. I wanted him to be versatile and useful without being overly expensive. This is a character that I can use with my Skullcrushers, or any Khorne-marked/unmarked unit.

Please let me know what you think. All comments are welcome.

Oktahl, the Red Grenadier: 185 Points

Unit Type: Independent Character (Cavalry):
WS6/BS5/S4/T5/W4/I5/A4/Ld10/3+

Warlord Trait: Hatred Incarnate/Something else... not sure yet.

Special Rules: Battle Bond, Champion of Chaos, Fearless, Furious Charge, Grenade Barrage, Independent Character

Battle Bond: Once dominated, a Juggernaut quickly learns that cooperating with its rider in battle results in even greater carnage.
Effect: The Juggernaut confers a 5+ Invulnerable save to Oktahl.

Grenade Barrage: Oktahl has a penchant for issuing an order to hurl grenades before a charge. As one, the unit pulls pins and lobs their explosives.
Effect: If a unit armed with grenades is joined by Oktahl, each model in the unit may make a shooting attack using the shooting profile of the chosen grenade. Note that only grenades with a shooting profile may be used in this manner. In addition, if the unit is charged, they may use Krak grenades during Overwatch.

Wargear: Power Armor, Bolt Pistol, Power Sword, Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut of Khorne

Chaos Artefacts:

The Bloody Bandolier:This bandolier is packed with a deadly arsenal of grenades. The momentum of his charging Juggernaut allows Oktahl to throw these explosives over great distances.
Rules:The Bloody Bandolier grants Oktahl the following Special Rule: Hurl Explosives

Hurl Explosives: During the controlling player’s shooting phase, Oktahl may make a 24” shooting attack with any of the following grenades: Promethium Detonators, Krak Grenades, Smoke Grenades, and EMP Grenades. If Oktahl is part of a unit, this attack does not count toward the 1 model limit when making shooting attacks with grenades.

The Bloody Bandolier grants Oktahl the following wargear: Promethium Detonators, Krak Grenades, Melta Bombs, EMP Grenades and Smoke Grenades.

Promethium Detonators have the following profile: S5 AP4 Assault 1 Blast, Ignores Cover
- Promethium Detonators count as assault grenades.

EMP Grenades have the following profile: S1 AP- Assault 1 Blast, Haywire

Smoke Grenades have the following profile: S1 AP- Assault 1 Large Blast, Smoke Cloud
- Smoke Grenades count as defensive grenades.
- The controlling player may choose to have Oktahl make a shooting attack using a Smoke Grenade at the beginning of their movement phase. If he does so, he may still make a shooting attack during that turn’s Shooting Phase, but may not shoot a second Smoke Grenade that turn.
- Smoke Cloud: To represent this cloud of smoke, leave the large blast template used for this attack on the table. This template persists on the table until the controlling player’s following movement phase. Any models (belonging to either player) whose bases are at least partially within the large blast template gain a +2 Cover Save (therefore, a 5+ Cover Save out in the open). If the smoke template lands in cover, its effects are cumulative with the save provided by that cover type. The effects of Smoke Cloud do not stack with Shrouded or Stealth.

RATIONALE:

I think this guy sounds like a lot of fun. While capable of doing some damage in close combat (but not too much, only AP3 at S4/5 on the charge), I wanted to shift the focus to mid-range firepower. Different than what you might expect from a Khornate Lord, perhaps.

I wanted his grenades to give him a variety of options when shooting. Promethium Detonators provide what is essentially a small blast of Heavy Flamer fire. ("Eh.... yoto." "Because he's holding a thermal detonator!") Krak grenades for hurting a Monstrous Creature or light vehicle, and can be fired as a Snap Shot. EMP grenades for attacking vehicles.

The smoke grenades were just an attempt to introduce something interesting. The smoky cover zone being usable by either team seems fair, though there are probably limited opportunities for the enemy to take advantage of it. They could theoretically Deep Strike into it, which would be funny.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
First, I've cleaned up the entry a bit, changed some stats and descriptions.

Second, regarding his warlord trait (and now just the Grenade Barrage rule):

A friend of mine suggested it's overpowered, but I don't think so.

I wrote the rule imagining Oktahl joining a unit of Spawn (who have no grenades) or Skullcrushers (another homebrew of mine, see sig for link), which max out at 8. That's 8 S6 AP4 shooting attacks at 8", or 8 S3 AP- templates. Good, to be sure, but not crazy.

My friend pointed out if he joined a unit of 20 CSM, 20 Krak grenades would be bullshit, especially against MC. Frag grenades would wipe out entire squads of 35 cultists, etc. etc. etc.

I don't think so. First of all, there's no quick way of getting 20 infantry across the table. They definitely wouldn't be wholly intact, either. Oktahl wouldn't be in range with his grenades until turn 2 at the earliest, because if he's staying with the unit he can only move 6" and run as far as they do. Then, the squad itself has to be within 8" to use grenades as a shooting attack. Then, they have to hit and wound with all those grenades, so the actual damage is not going to be ridiculous against some big Nid critter or a grounded Daemon Prince. Plus, at BS4 and 8" away, the scatter could come right back onto the squad chucking the 'nades. "Oh shit, I dropped my grenade after I pulled the pin!" It's true that I could shoot Smoke Grenades to create cover for myself as I move up the board, but unless they're being blasted with AP3 templates, there's no point in doing that, because they have a 3+ save... AND all 20 would have to fit within a large blast template. Not impossible, but with Oktahl's large base, that would leave a few models out in the wind.

On the off chance that I had a Spartan Assault Tank, I could move 20 CSM across the table... but Oktahl couldn't embark, since he's riding a Juggernaut. He'd have to hide behind the tank and wait for them to pop out. Not impossible, I guess, but if I invest the points and money into buying a Spartan, it fucking better facilitate insane amounts of killing.

Tanks would be more vulnerable, but only due to the fact they have no inherent saves. That isn't a function of my warlord trait, but a core rule. I'd still have to be within 8" and roll to hit, and then glance on a 6 if AP12.

More than anything else, Oktahl's warlord trait is just a better option than shooting Bolt Pistols before charging or during Overwatch. If anything from my army is within 8" of the enemy, they're prrrrrrobably gonna charge ASAP.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
And now I've decided to make his warlord trait simply a rule that he comes with. His points cost has increased 5 points for this.

I'm trying to come up with a Warlord trait, but can't really find something that fits. Maybe Hatred Incarnate as the lazy option, but I'd like to come up with something better related to grenades.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
One idea, that would obviously increase his points cost substantially:

Explosives Stockpile: All units in the Primary Detachment with the unit type Infantry, Infantry (Character), Jump Infantry, or Jump Infantry (Character) count as being equipped with Assault Grenades.

Also, the internet told me that "Octol" is a type of explosive, so that's how I came up with the name.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.