Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll preface this by saying I haven't played 40k much in a while. I've kept up with miniature work , but hey life has been busy.

I'm considering what is out there and playing again, but from what I read here its an ugly tabletop out there, a lot uglier than I recall.

I'm looking to put a reasonably competitive list together, not serious tournament winning, but not fluffy either.

I've been playing for about 15 years so as Chaos goes I probably have at least 1 of everything, and there's a better than even chance its older than my opponent. :p

So my actual question is, What are the viable builds out there now as ya'll see them?

Sadly it doesn't sound like there are all that many variations that dont' require double demon princes or x3 spam of something.

But maybe one of you knows better.

I'd usually run what I considered to be a reasonable/uncheesey army and won most of my games based on out maneuvering my opponent, as opposed to writing the scariest list ever. The environment would usually be the local gaming establishment.

in 1500 pts it would consist of something like:

Lord of khorne daemon weapon, jugger or on foot, meltabombs

1-2 Dreads with close combat weapons and extra armor
8 or so Chosen with plas/melta
8 berzerkers champ power weapon
2x 8 CSM's w/2 plas/meltas
2x rhinos extra armor & havoc launchers
1-2 havoc units or 1 havoc unit and 1 obliterator unit of 3

·
Registered
468 Posts
Lord of khorne daemon weapon, jugger or on foot, meltabombs

1-2 Dreads with close combat weapons and extra armor
8 or so Chosen with plas/melta
8 berzerkers champ power weapon
2x 8 CSM's w/2 plas/meltas
2x rhinos extra armor & havoc launchers
1-2 havoc units or 1 havoc unit and 1 obliterator unit of 3
Lord - anything with Str 8 AP3 or better and he's dead, it's why people take princes, or you can take sorc's as you can hide them in units and thier powers tend to be much more useful than a lord.

Dreads - with a 1 in 3 chance of going nuts they tend to be a liability, the best way to go is usually 2xCC which means they only have a 1 in 6 chance of just standing and shooting but on the flipside you might not want them to move yet and they go charging towards a bunch of melta and get torn open.

Chosen - i run 5 man squad with 5 meltas in a rhino and usually outflank to go tank popping you can use plasmas too but you risk killing youself and at 32? pts a pop i don't like taking those risks.

zerks - you only have 2 rhino's in your list, i pray you put the zerks in 1 because foot slogging troops will get ripped apart, also while it wastes the I5 charge zerks have, giving the champ a fist for 4 str9 attacks on the charge is likely a better choice. Reason for this is the amount of mech these days you need every bit of antitank you can get and you really don't want to find yourself in CC with a dread or some nasty MC where you're going to struggle to hurt it.

CSM - you can only take 1 special weapon unless you take 10 marines so it would be better to make 1 squad and stick them in the other rhino

Havoks - ...i've considered using them but oblits tend to be just too good and the fact oblits can move and shoot, have access to several weapons including powerfists in CC i find it hard to justify using oblits, however you can use them similer to chosen with 4 meltas in a rhino.

Oblits - Rock 'n' Roll

The biggest issue i see is the lack of mobility, on a 6x4 board foot slogging is just too slow.

I can slap together a simple competitiveish list if you like

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
1x Daemon prince with wings, Mos and lash
Kharn the betrayer
5 chosen with meltaguns and rhino
5 terminators with combi meltas and 1 chainfist- deep striking
2 squads of 8 berzerkers with a fist toting champ-1 rhino others in the land raider with kharn
7x plague marines with a plasma gun
3x obliterators
land raider with combi melta
that should come to in and around 1850 - 2000 points and it should win you plenty of games, because a very slight variation of it has won me many.
now, though, i run a world eaters army with a MoS prince. my fluff is that the prince is a prince of khorne with a warp-whip or something

1 - 3 of 3 Posts