Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to put together a fun fluff themed list, just for friendly games. Will be using some forgeworld models as well. I'm still pretty new to the gaming side of things, but odds are I'll be playing against tau, orks, blood angels. I need some help with the weapon loadouts, and any other suggestions/comments are much appreciated.

CSM Death Guard 1750

HQ
Typhus 230

ELITES
Chaos Terminators x 6, MoN 224

TROOPS
Plague Marines x 7, Plasma gun x 2, Power Axe + Combi-flamer 223

Plague Zombies x 28 131

Plague Zombies x 28 131

FAST ATTACK
Blight Drone 125 (FW)

Blight Drone 125 (FW)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Havocs x 5, Autocannon x 4 115

Brings me to 1642, so I've got some left over to kit out the termies.

But anyway, Typhus and terms will deep strike, Drones will have to fly on as well. Zombies will sit on objectives and Havocs will pop away with their cannons. Obvious draw back is lack of mobility, but hey its a Death Guard list... notorious walking dead foot sloggers!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Maybe it's a personal preference, but I've always preferred Obliterators to Havocs when I don't know what the enemy has. The only reason I would bring Havocs is anti-fliers where they are quite good.

I've tried similar setups to your above, and personally I got out maneuvered because of the lack of mobility, especially from my heavy support. But this is not a critiscism of you setup, but just a personal sidenote.

Do you know what setups the others usually go with? Are there fliers involved, etc.? Thats the only thing I would be worried about with the setup above.

If you want to deepstrike the termis alongside Typhus, I'm guessing your going CC with them? :)

Other than that, interesting setup! Do let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hay dude
Give the terms each a combi melta or plasma. I personally have an even mix and then give half axes and half maul's. So for 30points you can drop and fire with a good chance of taking out any transport or dealing death to a squad. Then get some rhino's for the deathguard. You have no hi strength or ap guns, so how would you kill a land raider etc. What about lose the ac from 1 unit and give them 2 las cannon instead.
Good luck hope it helps.
Duke

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, good points have been raised! I've adjusted the list accordingly, main changes are I added two rhinos and swapped one havoc squads autocannons for lascannons but had to drop 2 termies to squeeze everything in. Also, I've tooled up the terms.
CSM Death Guard 1750

HQ
Typhus 230

ELITES
Chaos Terminators x 4, MoN, 2 power axe, 2 power maul, 2 combimelta, 2 combiplasma 210

TROOPS

Plague Zombies x 28 131

Plague Zombies x 28 131

FAST ATTACK
Blight Drone 125 (FW)

Blight Drone 125 (FW)

HEAVY SUPPORT

Havocs x 5, Lascannon x 4 155

DEDICATED TRANSPORT
Rhino, Dozer blade 40

Rhino, Dozer blade 40

Puts me at 1748.

Righto, any further advice from the floor?

I don't know the details of each list exactly, although I know the Tau has no flyers, and has a Riptide. Blood Angels is Mech heavy (LRs, Razorbacks, Dreads, Stormravens) and the only thing I remember for the Orks is that he has alot of Killa Kans.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
It's starting to look good indeed! If you know that neither has any fliers, than that's a load of your mind in terms of the list.

My only last thought I would have is to change a bit depending on who you are against. The list looks solid against the Space Marines and Tau, but it lacks template attacks against a horde-army like Orks. You only have the Plague marines there, where you can only use the flamer once per unit.

If you can only play with 1 load-out against everyone, then I have no corrections.

If you can play with multiple, I would drop the flamers against Marines and Tau (Maybe use some plasma or melta) as they usually have too high armorsaves for them to really be effective.

I would see if I couldn't squeeze some more template weapons in there against Orks - Possible some launchers instead of lascannons with the havocs?

I'm just brainstorming here - I look forward to hearing about your victories though!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, thats a good idea. We're a pretty casual bunch, I doubt they would mind if I proxy some weapons around. The only reason I went with a combiflamer was because of the automatic hits on overwatch, but you're right it wouldn't achieve much against marines/tau anyway. And missile launchers would actually free up twenty points so I could squeeze in some better gear for the rhinos... dirge casters etc.

In regards to the template weapons, just remember that the Blight Drone has the mawcannon - which can either fire a S6 AP4 template or a S8 AP3 5" Blast. It can also fire it's reaper autocannon in the same phase (at BS 2 unfortuantly, but hey its twinlinked for a reason lol) So that's some semi decent anti-horde fire power right there.

Unfortunatly, I've just been slapped with a whopping speeding fine, so this army is going to be put on the back burner for awhile :( But hey, if anyone has any more advice/suggestions, let me know!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
In regards to the template weapons, just remember that the Blight Drone has the mawcannon - which can either fire a template or a 5" Blast. It can also fire it's reaper autocannon in the same phase (at BS 2 unfortuantly, but hey its twinlinked for a reason lol) So that's some semi decent anti-horde fire power right there.
Aha, I did not know that! It's a good addition though, so that helps a bit.

I'm in doubt if you should use the extra points on your Rhino though. Both Tau and SM have some pretty hefty Anti-tank weapons, so you could risk using extra points on a vehicle, where the primary objective is to run as far as you can, before it's shot to smithereens.

Personally I might consider dropping the attachments to the Rhinos (Including the dozer blades) and perhaps add another terminator. Dropping the dozer blades, and getting launchers should give you around 100 points to play with.

Again, personal preference, but my rhinos rarely last beyond round 2, maybe 3, when playing against Tau and SM.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just realised I messed up the terminators points cost, it should have been 170, not 210. Those extra 42 points fits another combi weapon terminator perfectly, bringing me to 1750 exactly :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Theoretically, if I had to extend this list to 2000 to verse Grey Knights, any thoughts on what to take? I was thinking 3 x Obliterators with MoN for some extra long range support, and then filling out the last 22 points with more zombies. Or maybe taking a butt load of Chaos Spawn with MoN or 2 Maulerfiends or an equally fast/terrifying unit and have these run up the middle and draw fire from my Rhinos, and if they make it that far, tie down units in assault. I'm leaning towards the Fast Attack side of things because my only fast attack currently has to fly on, and thats all depending on dice rolls.

From memory, the GK list has Draigo, a teleporting Dreadknight, a Dreadnought, and a Storm Raven.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok well after much consideration and no feedback, lol, I've had an idea.

Chaos Bikers! So these are gonna charge straight up the middle and hopefully draw fire from my rhino's.

So heres the revised 2000 pt list.
HQ
Typhus 230

ELITES
Chaos Terminators x 5, MoN, 1 powers sword, 2 power axe, 2 power maul, 2 combimelta, 3 combiplas 212

TROOPS
Plague Marines x 7, Plasma gun x 2, Power Axe + Combi-plasma 223

Plague Marines x 7, Plasma gun x 2, Power Axe + Combi-plasma 223

Plague Zombies x 28 131

Plague Zombies x 28 131

FAST ATTACK
Blight Drone x 2 250

Chaos Bikers x 7, MoN, Power weapon, 2 x Plasma gun, melta bombs 242

HEAVY SUPPORT

Havocs x 5, Lascannon x 4 155

DEDICATED TRANSPORT
Rhino, Dozer blade 40

Rhino, Dozer blade 40

Brings me to 1992, I think. So what do you guys reckon? Tips, pointers, ideas anyone?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts