Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

The background is that I'm stuck in a hotel in Manchester for the next three months and so have taken some of my beloved space wolves to paint to pass the evenings.

I have watered down some Badab Black and let it dry on my minis. Now that it's dried there is a crusty white residue in the recesses. Has anyone else come across this? It never happened in the other areas that I've lived in so I am suspecting it is the chemical composition of the water (not sure it it's just hotel water, which tastes foul anyway, or Manchester water in general).

I took some pics but it's such a small area that you can't see the issue clearly.

Any clues?

Looks like I will be using bottled water for the duration...

Rev

·
Registered
463 Posts
It's happened to me.
I think they are getting old,try adding some water to them.
I would love to find out if there is a scientific reason though.
But you are probally better off chucking them.
The residue can be fixed with gloss then matt varinsh

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok cool. thanks for the tip.

i wondered if it was BECAUSE i had watered them down? therefore something to do with the hardness of the water. Not sure how old my paints are but they can't be more than a year old.

Anyway, will get that fixed. cheers

Rev

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Ive never had any problems with using older paints and i have some ancient paints, even the baal wash i got when it was released before i realised i still had 2 pots of old red ink. I didn't have this problem. I'm thinkning it might be manchester water maybe...i live in a very hard water area and have no issues when i took some models to Cornwall which is v soft i had no problems either. Could be specific minerals in the water reacting with the pigment chemicals, if so it might only do it for certain colours.

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It just makes me wonder what i'm paying my water rates for if they can't even treat it properly!! :)

I haven't noticed this problem with a new pot of wash. but i am worried about watering it down again and GW couldn't help (they also 'couldn't help' with the cloudy Purity Seal problem about a month before White Dwarf featured it in an article, so i'll wait and see...)

Rev

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, now we have a definitive answer! It was the water all along!

Bottled water may cause bigger problems if its 'mineral' water. Maybe distilled water would be best?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts