Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Argel Tal was killed by Erebus, why wouldn't the gods revive him? Surely he is a great asset, being the leader and one of the first of the Gal Vorbak. He was extremely gifted in combat and was a very devout worshiper if I remember correctly.

What makes Lucius any more worthy of revival than Argel Tal? Is it because Argel Tal does not worship any one specific god?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Perhaps he simply wasnt interesting, for the gods i mean, was he not also killed by a special blade?
by interesting i mean, lucius for instance absolutely embodied everything it means to worship slaanesh, Kharn is a paragon of what it means to be a devotee of Khorne and Ahriman is an enigma, they are also symbolic, Ahriman for instance doing to Magnus what magnus did to his father, whereas Argel Tal is far less so, in addition, being revived by all 4 gods is by far more difficult than being revived by any single one

·
Registered
703 Posts
The Chaos Gods are capricious. If they wanted to simply shun Erebus, they would revive him regardless of the method used to kill him.

Erebus did state that in his visions it was Argel Tal who, consistently, led to the defeat of the Heresy. That and Argel Tal wasn't very favorable towards the gods. He served them not out of devotion but out of resignation -- you cannot change the truth of all things, so you might as well make the best of it.

That and the Dark Gods clearly favor Erebus. Despite even Lorgar, in my opinion, wanting him dead they have kept him alive over the past 10,000 years. He is utterly devoted to them.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Also, Argel Tal is fated to die. The daemon repeatedly tells him how he dies, it wouldn't make sense to have him survive his fated end.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Also, Argel Tal is fated to die. The daemon repeatedly tells him how he dies, it wouldn't make sense to have him survive his fated end.
It's a demon it speaks in half truths and every half truth it speaks there are 1000 more lies that spew from it's mouth.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found Argel Tal very entertaining. My favorite traitor marine aside from Kharn, who are in fact the only traitors I actually like aside from the sniper from the Word Bearers who was in Vulkan Lives and Unremembered Empire. Can't remember his name.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
It's a demon it speaks in half truths and every half truth it speaks there are 1000 more lies that spew from it's mouth.
Though, of course, it seems that the daemon (Ingethel and Raum) spoke the truth. Argel Tal did die in the shadow of great wings...

Daemons do not always lie, that's just Imperial propaganda. :laugh:

They will mostly act in ways for their own selfish desires, and they will certainly lie to achieve their own goals (not much different to humans there then!) - but they are fully capable of telling the truth... Realistically, the word of a daemon is just as valuable as the word of a man - there may be different incentives and motives, but both will readily lie or twist the truth for their own ends. Just as both will readily tell the truth for their own ends.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Though, of course, it seems that the daemon (Ingethel and Raum) spoke the truth. Argel Tal did die in the shadow of great wings...

Daemons do not always lie, that's just Imperial propaganda. :laugh:
Agree to disagree.

They will mostly act in ways for their own selfish desires, and they will certainly lie to achieve their own goals (not much different to humans there then!) - but they are fully capable of telling the truth... Realistically, the word of a daemon is just as valuable as the word of a man - there may be different incentives and motives, but both will readily lie or twist the truth for their own ends. Just as both will readily tell the truth for their own ends.
I never said humans don't lie for every truth a humans says they say 1000 lies.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never said humans don't lie for every truth a humans says they say 1000 lies.
1,000 lies it quite a lot... I don't think it is quite that high.

And even considering the fact that demons lie, it was very concerned about self-preservation. The demon knew that Erebus was going to betray them and it tried hard to get Argel Tal to kill Erebus first.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Revival by a Chaos god is like receiving a gift from a Chaos god. You have no say in it, it's completely up to them and it isn't always a good thing.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Revival by a Chaos god is like receiving a gift from a Chaos god. You have no say in it, it's completely up to them and it isn't always a good thing.
Don't they have a say in it though? Like Abaddon, he is rejecting becoming a daemon prince isn't he?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm not sure the Dark Gods give you the option of becoming a Daemon Prince. It believe they make the decision on their whims and by that point its either Spawn or Prince. But maybe Abaddon is powerful enough to resist becoming too powerful? Lol.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm fairly certain that people have to let the demons into their minds and bodies. After Fulgrim killed Ferrus Manus, the daemon in the Laer blade said "Then leave yourself open to me and I will put an end to it all." Then it goes on to say "The barriers in Fulgrim's mind dropped as he felt the elation of a creature older than time as it poured into the void that is his soul."

Fulgrim essentially had to give the daemon permission to possess his body.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts